Did Lubegard Biotech kill your hemi tick??

Did Lubegard Biotech kill your hemi tick?

• Yes, lubegard killed that tick

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • No, lubegard didn't kill tick, yet

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • Lubegard made hemi tick noticeably better not 100% though

Votes: 29 46.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The only mopar filter I would use is their srt filter. It is up to you, but I encourage you to read the oil filter thread in my sig. I see very little reason to ever use paper filters.

Spun Microglass- Filters better, and flows better and last longer. Only downside is a couple bucks. In the syn thread there was a point where a bunch of us cut open our filters, the paper filters were all toast, the spun microglass outlasted any oil interval.

At least you'll know you're using something made with quality materials. I think it's wise to run a higher dollar filter if you've got a sump full of redline, are running extended drain intervals, or just plain feel better with it.

I'm always conflicted though..

My belief is a full flow filter is only going to do so much actual filtering for you anyway, given it's forced to pass every ounce of pressurized oil the engine needs.

I've had my filter cutter for about 18yrs. Scored it off of eBay back then from a motorcycle shop. It can handle all but really big filtes. I have yet to find a filter with blown out media, rips, holes, etc. Even the dreaded fiber end cap cheapos.

lmDS4oGm.jpg

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been running this in my truck for 2 days so far it didnt sound like a sewing machine the first few starts which was a surprise still has the normal tick when running that will never go away but on way home it was loud on first start so I think this stuff deff does help does it get rid of it 100%? No.

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
I have to admit,her 1320 Challenger is impressing the hell out of me,lol. The car for a bone stock N/A 6.4 hauls ass pretty good,so far it's ran 12.11 at one track and 12.16 at another track with the DA at just under 5,000ft at both tracks,and that's just foot braking it,and launching off idle,i only have a couple passes with it,she's got a couple dozen in it,but if the weather is good tonight,i'm gonna make a couple passes with it,and see how it does launching off the factory tranny brake. I like the fact FCA warrenties the 1320's even if they break on the track,as long as it's "stock". Here's a short little 1 minute video on the 1320's,they're even more rare then the Demons. Her car is identical to the one in the video,reminds me of the purple Dinosaur that used to be on a kids show a few years back,lol,lol.

Barney?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have been running this in my truck for 2 days so far it didnt sound like a sewing machine the first few starts which was a surprise still has the normal tick when running that will never go away but on way home it was loud on first start so I think this stuff deff does help does it get rid of it 100%? No.

That is good news, you know it is possible to eliminate some tick with an additive. And as said on the forum like 1,000 times plus, the science of moly is it can take 500-1700 miles for the best result.

TRUE STORY- When I first tried redline I thought I threw away all of that money on that oil change, no difference. 500 miles later, the rest is ram forum history. That is not a Burla experience only, that story is repeated in at least 1/2 of the guys that try redline. You are headed in the right direction.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is good news, you know it is possible to eliminate some tick with an additive. And as said on the forum like 1,000 times plus, the science of moly is it can take 500-1700 miles for the best result.

TRUE STORY- When I first tried redline I thought I threw away all of that money on that oil change, no difference. 500 miles later, the rest is ram forum history. That is not a Burla experience only, that story is repeated in at least 1/2 of the guys that try redline. You are headed in the right direction.

Welp we will see how it goes il be driving it alot this month and putting some miles on it.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This is why spun microglass both filters better and has better flow. Same magnification, one paper one microglass. Larger holes inbetween paper surface, and larger paper surface. Then add the fact that you have to add binders to paper to get them to bind, and those binders turn into card paper like substance with heat cycles as proven by every paper filter I ever cut open with a long interval, every single one. When that paper is stiff, it isn't filtering anything, usually there are wide gaps the oil goes through if not full bypass.

However, the spun microglass stays pliable and smooth day one to day 2 year+ as proven in syn thread, they simply never degrade, the never bind the way paper filters do. When it comes to filtering bypass is number one, spun microglass is number 2, paper belongs on a toilet roll.

Is bypass worth it in a hemi? Maybe, maybe not, up to personal choice.

Filter_Glass_Media.jpg

Filter_Cellulose_Media.jpg

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Been running past 3 years and 40kmiles Pennzoil ultra plat and biotech in my 13 Outdoorsman hemi and has zero tick. Truck has 66,000 miles now, I also have mds turned off with a handheld tuner.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is good news, you know it is possible to eliminate some tick with an additive. And as said on the forum like 1,000 times plus, the science of moly is it can take 500-1700 miles for thebest result.

Yup takes time and some miles. My 2011 1500 with 138xxx miles on it has been getting quieter and quieter with each passing mile! When first started using Redline/LGBiotech, it started ticking loud on start up, then after driving it went away. Now it doesn’t tick at all and is starting to run butter smooth. I do have an exhaust leak on my driver’s side collector from the long tubes to the exhaust pipe. Gasket blew! However the engine is running quiet! I’m fully loaded and grabbing more Redline as she’s on sale (45% off) at Partsource for any of the Canadian brothers on the forum!

96CB18AB-8D11-468B-9CE7-93AD58ADC9AA.jpeg

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been running past 3 years and 40kmiles Pennzoil ultra plat and biotech in my 13 Outdoorsman hemi and has zero tick. Truck has 66,000 miles now, I also have mds turned off with a handheld tuner.

;)

Last edited:

Eddie S

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
I have been using a WIX 510-85 XP on my last 3 oil changes with Redline 10W-30.

I changed from Royal Purple to Wix after reading the oil and filter thread......

That being said, nobody has mentioned Wix in this thread..... however, Royal Purple is brought up more than several times..... whats up with that?

FWIW, my tick went away for the most part but the weird thing is if i start the truck up with it facing the garage the tick happens at start up and is there a little bit at idle.... if the truck is backed up to the garage it does not tick or rattle at all on start up or idling..... 224,000 miles 04 5.7

I am going to buy the lubegard today and give the Redline a boost to see what happens... really happy though with Redline...... I love it when i am at the Dunkin drive through and the Hemi is ultra smooth and quiet...LOL

Eddie S

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
I have been using a WIX 510-85 XP on my last 3 oil changes with Redline 10W-30.

I changed from Royal Purple to Wix after reading the oil and filter thread......

That being said, nobody has mentioned Wix in this thread..... however, Royal Purple is brought up more than several times..... whats up with that?

FWIW, my tick went away for the most part but the weird thing is if i start the truck up with it facing the garage the tick happens at start up and is there a little bit at idle.... if the truck is backed up to the garage it does not tick or rattle at all on start up or idling..... 224,000 miles 04 5.7

I am going to buy the lubegard today and give the Redline a boost to see what happens... really happy though with Redline...... I love it when i am at the Dunkin drive through and the Hemi is ultra smooth and quiet...LOL
Also, i change my oil every 30 to 45 days no matter how many miles i drive between changes..... that may seem like a waste..... however, as long as i am able to afford it..... Well, its working out for me and my high mileage Hemi.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, i change my oil every 30 to 45 days no matter how many miles i drive between changes..... that may seem like a waste..... however, as long as i am able to afford it..... Well, its working out for me and my high mileage Hemi.

';)

Last edited:

Eddie S

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
I've never seen or read so much jibber jabber about anything like oil.
If it is to much jibber jabber for you..... Why not just move on and or not even enter the thread?

It seems to me that your responses are all pretty much negative or you know better than everyone else.

Do you post just to see your posts or do you really feel that all of your negative know it all responses are helping..... even a little bit?

Just asking for a friend.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Read oil filter thread, the reason the RP is so popular just a thick loose media. The only downside to wix xp is it didn't make it into the gm test, I wish it had. The choice between the two seam to be a thin tight media or a thick loose media, I guess you can make an argument for either. My deal is all of the spun microglass are the top filters for sure.

It would be nice if shrm bird try adding something to these threads, at least acknowledge the ram forum members who have tested these products and reported their findings.

These arent 20-820 which I believe has more holes.

I tried both wix xp and rp in other vehicles, wix xp tight thin media compared to rp.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Read oil filter thread, the reason the RP is so popular just a thick loose media. The only downside to wix xp is it didn't make it into the gm test, I wish it had. The choice between the two seam to be a thin tight media or a thick loose media, I guess you can make an argument for either. My deal is all of the spun microglass are the top filters for sure.

It would be nice if shrm bird try adding something to these threads, at least acknowledge the ram forum members who have tested these products and reported their findings.

These arent 20-820 which I believe has more holes.

I tried both wix xp and rp in other vehicles, wix xp tight thin media compared to rp.

So, I wonder how your comparison of Wix and Royal Purple did turn out... I have no experience with RP but do have much experience with Wix! I'd like to be enlightened! Please!

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So, I wonder how your comparison of Wix and Royal Purple did turn out... I have no experience with RP but do have much experience with Wix! I'd like to be enlightened! Please!

It is in the oil filter thread, the main difference is the media, RP is loose and thick, wix xp is tight and thin.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
@Jtblackram found an article that needs to be in these additive threads, both additives or oils with additives. The conclusion of this expert is that the low additive api oils we use itself is the cause of hemi tick, or at a minimum is a part of it. I put in syn thread but you know how stuff gets lost over there. This should encourage more additive testing for hemi tick.

KmyVgOd.jpg imCVwVj.jpg

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Forgot about this thread at 205k i put this in ran it for 4k miles at first i thought it worked then it all went back to sounding like a sewing machine and a machine gun at startup. However I did get my startup noise to stop it rarely happens now. I used pennzoil platinum 5w30 syn works better then redline for me and for the first time a royal purple filter.

Mind you this stuff might work on lower mileage hemis i now have 209k on the clock with 10k on lifters/cam.

Victor Brill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put in 8 ounces as i didnt want to take a chance on overfilling. I thought about adding the full 15 ounces but in canada, i believe the dealer overfills oil already if they are using 7 liters of oil as per oil change invoice ( when the capacity is 6.6 liters so .4 liters extra already). I've checked since adding the lubegard and no foam in my oil so I think I'm good.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

what about doing 6 quarts and 8-15 ounces of the lubegard? Or should I still stick with the 7?