disable auto park, can it be done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
it had gone into park so the gentleman just sat in the truck while it went through wash with motor running....got to be a better way....
There is....the seatbelt buckle solution that’s been posted repeatedly throughout this thread. Simple stuff.
You can get a 3" rigid seatbelt extender from here:
https://www.seatbeltextenderpros.com/ram-pickup-seat-belt-extender/
You can still easily use the seatbelt without having to remove the extender

Bugsy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just found out about this feature yesterday... My nearly new 2019 wouldn't let me drive forward with the door open... All I was trying to do was to move the truck forward out of the snow pile to a clear spot so I could clean snow off the truck. It should be noted that the windshield was completely covered with snow and ice, as were both side windows, completely blocking all visibility. I had to drive forward with the door closed and do it on faith that I wasn't going too far in the driveway. Would've been nice to just pop my head out the open door so I could see... It didn't occur to me to buckle the seat belt. I'll try that next time.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just found out about this feature yesterday... My nearly new 2019 wouldn't let me drive forward with the door open... All I was trying to do was to move the truck forward out of the snow pile to a clear spot so I could clean snow off the truck. It should be noted that the windshield was completely covered with snow and ice, as were both side windows completely blocking all visibility. I had to drive forward with the door closed and do it on faith that I wasn't going too far in the driveway. Would've been nice to just pop my head out the open door so I could see... It didn't occur to me to buckle the seat belt. I'll try that next time.

Yeah, it would be nice if there was exceptions but let’s face it, the system can’t “think” about when it’s ok and when it’s not ok, it only knows one thing which is to auto-park the truck whenever the driver tries to take off either backwards or forwards with the door open.

But at least that’s why we can be thankful we have sources like this website that we can learn from, that teaches us simple things like whatever a scenario like this comes up, as long as you’ve got something buckled into the seatbelt buckle, you can virtually do whatever you want with the truck at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the same situation as bugsy, forgot about the seat belt trick for that. Otherwise I haven't come across a situation where the auto park has been a problem.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a few recalls completed at the dealership, and specifically requested they not complete this one. They tried to argue with me, saying it was a recall and a safety issue, I pointed to them that it is in fact NOT a recall, and instead a customer satisfaction issue, then showed them the definitions FCA has given. They put a note on the paperwork to not perform it. I got the truck back, it had a note from the tech that it was not performed by customer request.

A week later, I was at a friends house and had to move my truck a few feet to clear his driveway, so I hopped in, cranked it and started backing up. There was a ditch there, so I stopped and opened the door to look at the back wheels, and when I started backing up again, it slammed into park. I thought I hit something, even though I knew there was nothing there. When I realized what it was, I was pissed. Unfortunately, there is nothing they can do about it, as they cannot reverse the "update" (I call it a downgrade, not an update), but the tech flat lied on the paperwork stating the update was not performed. It legit makes me want to get rid of the truck and go back to an F150. A few times it wouldnt even shift out of gear in my driveway because the door was open.

I know there is a workaround with the seatbelt extension, but it is the principle of the issue that bothers me. When I bought my truck, it did not have it. I did not want it, I specifically requested it not be added. And yet, here I am, having it forced on me. That is not the truck I bought, and I have no recourse that they did it against my wishes. Had it been on the truck originally and I knew about it, I would have bought from another manufacturer.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a few recalls completed at the dealership, and specifically requested they not complete this one. They tried to argue with me, saying it was a recall and a safety issue, I pointed to them that it is in fact NOT a recall, and instead a customer satisfaction issue, then showed them the definitions FCA has given. They put a note on the paperwork to not perform it. I got the truck back, it had a note from the tech that it was not performed by customer request.

A week later, I was at a friends house and had to move my truck a few feet to clear his driveway, so I hopped in, cranked it and started backing up. There was a ditch there, so I stopped and opened the door to look at the back wheels, and when I started backing up again, it slammed into park. I thought I hit something, even though I knew there was nothing there. When I realized what it was, I was pissed. Unfortunately, there is nothing they can do about it, as they cannot reverse the "update" (I call it a downgrade, not an update), but the tech flat lied on the paperwork stating the update was not performed. It legit makes me want to get rid of the truck and go back to an F150. A few times it wouldnt even shift out of gear in my driveway because the door was open.

I know there is a workaround with the seatbelt extension, but it is the principle of the issue that bothers me. When I bought my truck, it did not have it. I did not want it, I specifically requested it not be added. And yet, here I am, having it forced on me. That is not the truck I bought, and I have no recourse that they did it against my wishes. Had it been on the truck originally and I knew about it, I would have bought from another manufacturer.

Yeah, that is kinda ****** that they went ahead and did that anyway even though they said they weren’t but even despite that they did it anyway, you have to understand that it is a safety reason. Hell for all we know, that dealership could possibly get fined by the manufacturer if anything ever came up to where they found out your truck did not receive that recall update and they the dealer was probably just covering but their own ass.

For example, as far as whether or not this is actually true but I was told one day when I had asked the dealership to turn off the MDS in my truck, they said they couldn’t because if the manufacturer ever found out about it that they would get fined a pretty large sum of money from FCA for how ever many vehicles that they disabled the MDS on so like I said, I know it sucks, I know that they told you they weren’t going to do that but really the bad thing here is they should not have told you they weren’t because it’s almost like you should’ve already known that they were going to do it anyway whether they told you they weren’t going to or not.

But it’s there for a reason. They’ve already got sued once that I know of for someone getting killed over a vehicle not being in park so all this is, is just lawsuit prevention for FCA.

But there is a work around for it and if that’s not good enough for you then go get that Phord if it bothers you that much.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, that is kinda ****** that they went ahead and did that anyway even though they said they weren’t but even despite that they did it anyway, you have to understand that it is a safety reason. Hell for all we know, that dealership could possibly get fined by the manufacturer if anything ever came up to where they found out your truck did not receive that recall update and they the dealer was probably just covering but their own ass.

For example, as far as whether or not this is actually true but I was told one day when I had asked the dealership to turn off the MDS in my truck, they said they couldn’t because if the manufacturer ever found out about it that they would get fined a pretty large sum of money from FCA for how ever many vehicles that they disabled the MDS on so like I said, I know it sucks, I know that they told you they weren’t going to do that but really the bad thing here is they should not have told you they weren’t because it’s almost like you should’ve already known that they were going to do it anyway whether they told you they weren’t going to or not.

But it’s there for a reason. They’ve already got sued once that I know of for someone getting killed over a vehicle not being in park so all this is, is just lawsuit prevention for FCA.

But there is a work around for it and if that’s not good enough for you then go get that Phord if it bothers you that much.

you can call it a safety issue if you want, that’s your obvious right. Here it is shown on my Ram app as a “Campaign”, and not a “Recall”.
C4099F7C-141C-49CC-8825-9269EF656A5A.png

And here is a screenshot of FCA definition for a “Campaign”.
2F5AE6E5-2EAA-4A6D-B4FC-BACBEF9AACEF.png

You’re entitled to your opinion of what you want to call it, I’m just telling g you what even FCA is saying about it.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you can call it a safety issue if you want, that’s your obvious right. Here it is shown on my Ram app as a “Campaign”, and not a “Recall”.
View attachment 214351

And here is a screenshot of FCA definition for a “Campaign”.
View attachment 214352

You’re entitled to your opinion of what you want to call it, I’m just telling g you what even FCA is saying about it.

Well maybe I’m wrong since they have it listed as a campaign instead of an actual recall but I guaran-damn-tee you that if you never would’ve got this recall taken care of and one of those times you decide to back your truck up with your door open, and you end up falling out and running yourself over that FCA wouldn’t have a leg to stand on if you tried to come back and sue them. That’s why it’s on there because if you defeat the safety feature in any other way whether it’s from putting your seatbelt on behind you or using a seatbelt extender that will keep the auto park from engaging because it “thinks” your belt is buckled; then at that point you can’t come back and sue them because they did their part making sure that the feature was enabled on your truck. If the feature never was added to your truck, and you run yourself over then they’re a ****** monkey.

I’m not defending the auto-park in anyway but it’s there for a purpose. If it wasn’t such a sue-happy world we live in, we wouldn’t need **** like this but there’s also and over-abundance of people out there that share the same air we breathe that common sense is obviously a flower that doesn’t grow in their garden.

And I know this is totally a difference in opinion- well, not necessarily but why does it matter that it’s now enabled?? I’m just curious. There’s ways around it which is why I can’t understand why anybody would be upset about it. And yeah, like I said, they shouldn’t of told you they weren’t gonna add it but quite frankly, I can’t say that I’m shocked that they did tell you they weren’t because the only sure way to keep this recall off your truck is to never take your truck back to the dealership.

Last edited:

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well maybe I’m wrong since they have it listed as a campaign instead of an actual recall but I guaran-damn-tee you that if you never would’ve got this recall taken care of and one of those times you decide to back your truck up with your door open, and you end up falling out and running yourself over that FCA wouldn’t have a leg to stand on if you tried to come back and sue them. That’s why it’s on there because if you defeat the safety feature in any other way whether it’s from putting your seatbelt on behind you or using a seatbelt extender that will keep the auto park from engaging because it “thinks” your belt is buckled; then at that point you can’t come back and sue them because they did their part making sure that the feature was enabled on your truck. If the feature never was added to your truck, and you run yourself over then they’re a ****** monkey.

I’m not defending the auto-park in anyway but it’s there for a purpose. If it wasn’t such a sue-happy world we live in, we wouldn’t need **** like this but there’s also and over-abundance of people out there that share the same air we breathe that common sense is obviously a flower that doesn’t grow in their garden.

And I know this is totally a difference in opinion- well, not necessarily but why does it matter that it’s now enabled?? I’m just curious. There’s ways around it which is why I can’t understand why anybody would be upset about it. And yeah, like I said, they shouldn’t of told you they weren’t gonna add it but quite frankly, I can’t say that I’m shocked that they did tell you they weren’t because the only sure way to keep this recall off your truck is to never take your truck back to the dealership.

It matters because it was not part of the truck when I bought it, and it’s not something I want. It’s not a requirement for vehicles to have this, it is an FCA desire. I do not desire to have this. Like I said, if it had it when I bought the truck, I would not have bought a ram and instead gone to another manufacturer. It’s would be like taking your truck in for an oil change, and they disable your navigation, in such a way that you cannot re-activate it, because someone got in a wreck looking at the screen one time. I’m fairly certain you would not be happy.

If I fall out of my moving truck and get run over, I’m an idiot. Aside from a vehicle slipping itself out of park, if someone gets out while it’s Still in gear and it runs them over, that’s on their *******. They should not be allowed to sue and win money for that. If it is a faulty transmission that was in park when they got out and it slipped into drive, that’s different.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
My owners manual says auto-park is only disabled when in 4-LOW.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
When this auto park thing started with the Star Trek guy running himself over it was released as a recall, was the S27 recall. The ones that came after that, the U07 and U05 while technically aren’t classified as a recall they still come up under recalls in the dealer systems.

Im assuming FCA released it preemptively to avoid another lawsuit from someone not paying attention and running themselves or someone else over.

A lot of recalls overlap especially when it comes to software updates. The auto park recall involves updating the PCM,TCM,RFH. So if for example both the TCM and RFH were already up to date and say another recall involved updating the PCM, if they perform that other recall it will automatically include the auto park software as well. This a likely scenario or possibly the tech wasn’t told or he didn’t see the declined line and just was told to say it wasn’t done.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeah the assholes at my dealer did it to mine after I told them not to do it like 4 times.
Its a pain in the ass when hooking up trailers.
I will never go back to that dealer again as I hate liars.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It matters because it was not part of the truck when I bought it and it’s not something I want.
It only matters because you.... think it does. FCA however, thinks it doesn’t. All they care about is not getting sued.

It’s not a requirement for vehicles to have this, it is an FCA desire. I do not desire to have this. Like I said, if it had it when I bought the truck, I would not have bought a ram and instead gone to another manufacturer.
Federal requirement or not, doesn’t matter. GM’s not required to put DRL’s on their vehicles but they do it anyway. As far as whether or not they’ve gotten sued at some point down the road is beyond my knowledge but nonetheless, they don’t do it cuz they have to.

But yeah, to each his own, I guess. I guess if I woulda known mine had this auto park, I still woulda bought mine because it really isn’t a problem for me. I just wished I woulda known about before hand so that the day I decided to move my truck up about a truck length with the door open, I woulda known better and not let my truck slam itself into park.

It’s would be like taking your truck in for an oil change, and they disable your navigation, in such a way that you cannot re-activate it, because someone got in a wreck looking at the screen one time. I’m fairly certain you would not be happy.
Not the greatest of example but I don’t think the auto park enablement is necessarily the same as disabling something in your navigation primarily because it would have to be wrapped up in some way in a recall like Tach-tech said.

If I fall out of my moving truck and get run over, I’m an idiot. Aside from a vehicle slipping itself out of park, if someone gets out while it’s Still in gear and it runs them over, that’s on their *******.
Yeah, and that Star Trek actor was an idiot too for not making sure his **** was in park before he got out but he didn’t, and he got pinned between his car and a gate and got dead. Besides, he wasn’t the one who filed the lawsuit, it was the family of the guy so even if you were to live, it’s not you they’d be worried about unless; you just so happened to have a change of heart and decide a nice big fat settlement was much better than accepting what you did was a mistake. Those doctor bills start rackin’ up- it’s all over after that.

They should not be allowed to sue and win money for that.
That old lady that sued McDonald’s shouldn’t have been allowed to sue but she did, and she won.

There’s a lot of things that people shouldn’t be allowed to do but does that stop them? No.

If it is a faulty transmission that was in park when they got out and it slipped into drive, that’s different.
But it’s not a faulty transmission and I really don’t even think it was a faulty shifter in that Cherokee that killed that actor.

But look, I know I’m not gonna change your mind and I’m really not trying to, just trying to explain my assumption why it is what it is but are you sure Phord doesn’t have anything similar to that?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah the assholes at my dealer did it to mine after I told them not to do it like 4 times.
Its a pain in the ass when hooking up trailers.
I will never go back to that dealer again as I hate liars.

I don’t blame you for not going back to that dealer but I wouldn’t have even told them not to because no matter where you go, they aren’t gonna listen. This is something FCA wants and eventually the truck will get it.

But yeah, I hook up to my trailer all the time but it’s not a pain in the ass for me because I use my mirrors and I use my backup camera to back up to my hitch. But, if I just absolutely had to open a door, just simply leaving your foot on the brake to keep the brake lights lit is all you need. Really even no need for a seatbelt buckle extender or even to buckle your seatbelt behind you.

vdemarco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess the real question here should be. Can i switch that off with alphaODB?

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess the real question here should be. Can i switch that off with alphaODB?
No. Once they enable it, it’s there and can’t be disabled. You can workaround it with a seatbelt extension.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I don’t blame you for not going back to that dealer but I wouldn’t have even told them not to because no matter where you go, they aren’t gonna listen. This is something FCA wants and eventually the truck will get it.

But yeah, I hook up to my trailer all the time but it’s not a pain in the ass for me because I use my mirrors and I use my backup camera to back up to my hitch. But, if I just absolutely had to open a door, just simply leaving your foot on the brake to keep the brake lights lit is all you need. Really even no need for a seatbelt buckle extender or even to buckle your seatbelt behind you.

Lol I use my mirriors as well but I dont have a back up camera and always just get out and see where Iam at then jump in and back up that last few inches it just a pain to remember to shut the door first.

You know no other vechile I have ever drove put its self in park because the door is open and never had a problem.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
...it just a pain to remember to shut the door first.
I hear ya, but like I said, never lift your foot off the brake and your problem is solved. Or before you even start screwing with your trailer, buckle the seatbelt before you even get in your truck.

Just trying to help ya out and help ya cope....[emoji41]

You know no other vechile I have ever drove put its self in park because the door is open and never had a problem.

You’re probably not one of the ********* stupid enough to fall out and run your own ass over, either. If there was a way FCA could feel [emoji817] sure everyone who drives their vehicles was as safe as you do, and if they haven’t already had to pay out an undisclosed, possibly very large sum of money to someone, we’d probably not have this auto-park stuff to complain about.

FranklinDouglas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
2018 1500 8spd , I would like to turn it off if possible.

If you disable the seat belt chime. It will turn off. I just tested it.

-If you turn the truck off open and shut the door
-Buckle up
-Turn key to on position and wait until all lights turn off except check engine
-then unbuckle and buckle 3 times And end buckled.
- turn the key to the off position and you should hear a chime.

Has to be done in 60 seconds