Don't trust math from stickers on trailers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
In my travel trailer the 36 gallon fresh water tank is at the very front of the trailer and about 10 feet forward of the axels. When I was towing with my 1500 those extra 400lbs did make quite a bit of difference in how much weight was on the hitch. I usually traveled with very little water in it.

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Think this video provides some thought-provoking information on trailer weights and what may be end up being tongue weight. One trailer had a light tongue weight but transferred more behind the axle. Recipe for fish-tailing if not loaded right. RV Tongue Weight Challenge! How much weight do Tr…:
The guy is not as smart as he thinks he is.
1) Tongue weight will vary based on the angle of the trailer. So if the trailer was close to level and then he lowered it 6 inches to get it on teh scale, the number is NOT accurate.
2) The guy also failed basic math. If the tongue weight is ROUGHLY 10% of total weight, and you add 200 lbs of gear evenly distributed, tongue weight would go up 20 lbs, not 200 lbs.
3) Dry weight plus cargo capacity does not equal weight. If the dry weight is 6,000 and the GVRW is 7,000, that just means you need to limit added weight to 1,000 lbs. Some people will add 700 lbs, and some people will add 1,200 lbs. Given that most people will be overweight, taking it to a truck scale is the right way to do it. Other than representing a limit that shouldn't be exceeded, the GVWR means nothing.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Super interesting. This tells me you absolutely can't guess on the tongue weight of a TT. Probably 8/10 campers do.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The guy is not as smart as he thinks he is.
1) Tongue weight will vary based on the angle of the trailer. So if the trailer was close to level and then he lowered it 6 inches to get it on teh scale, the number is NOT accurate.
2) The guy also failed basic math. If the tongue weight is ROUGHLY 10% of total weight, and you add 200 lbs of gear evenly distributed, tongue weight would go up 20 lbs, not 200 lbs.
3) Dry weight plus cargo capacity does not equal weight. If the dry weight is 6,000 and the GVRW is 7,000, that just means you need to limit added weight to 1,000 lbs. Some people will add 700 lbs, and some people will add 1,200 lbs. Given that most people will be overweight, taking it to a truck scale is the right way to do it. Other than representing a limit that shouldn't be exceeded, the GVWR means nothing.
For the tongue weight, excluding the shift of liquid weight if the trailer tip causes fluid shift forward of the axle, the tongue weight will be the same no matter what angle the trailer is at. And 100% agree, measuring a fully loaded truck and trailer, the trucks alone, and just the tongue weight is needed to be sure.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
For the tongue weight, excluding the shift of liquid weight if the trailer tip causes fluid shift forward of the axle, the tongue weight will be the same no matter what angle the trailer is at. And 100% agree, measuring a fully loaded truck and trailer, the trucks alone, and just the tongue weight is needed to be sure.

That's not entirely accurate. Gravity always pulls straight down, and while most people will never get in a situation where the trailer is very nose high or tail high, changing the angle of the trailer DOES change the weight on the tongue. That's the entire reason we have the invention known as the drop hitch.

Big_G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Winnebago Mini Plus 26. Dry tongue weight advertised as 750. Measured fully loaded ready to go on a trip 1300 lbs. Unfortunately my 1500 on had a payload capacity of 1179. Towed for 2 years, until I had the truck and trailer weighed. Over rear axle gross weight rating by 450 lbs., over gcwr by 300 lbs. Now have a 2500 gasser that does the job.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have a Winnebago Mini Plus 26. Dry tongue weight advertised as 750. Measured fully loaded ready to go on a trip 1300 lbs. Unfortunately my 1500 on had a payload capacity of 1179. Towed for 2 years, until I had the truck and trailer weighed. Over rear axle gross weight rating by 450 lbs., over gcwr by 300 lbs. Now have a 2500 gasser that does the job.

Yeah, RV manufacturers don't have many real regulations on how weights have to be presented in their publications. So your 750 lb tongue weight? A lot of times that's with no battery, no propane, no propane TANKS. In other words, it's the lightest that it can EVER be. Some manufacturers give you something that includes battery weight and full tanks of propane, but not many.

Even my '35-ish foot Shadow Cruiser, another 'ultra-light' camper, claims to have a 700 lb tongue weight. It's a bit more than that, probably closer to 1k loaded up, but it doesn't bother the Power Wagon much.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
The level of the trailer will absolutely affect tongue weight. Take a car or truck and weigh both axles on a hill and then on flat. Hard to do I know but I promise you the downhill side will weigh more than it does on flat

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L

And to think your engine, transmission and differentials didn't grenade after 2 years running overweight! I'm shocked!......NOT!

Thanks for posting this. While I don't advocate exceeding GRAWR, your post shows a half ton can tow heavy and wont blow apart when doing so, even slightly over GRAWR. Good that you stepped up to a 2500 though at those weights.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
And to think your engine, transmission and differentials didn't grenade after 2 years running overweight! I'm shocked!......NOT!

Thanks for posting this. While I don't advocate exceeding GRAWR, your post shows a half ton can tow heavy and wont blow apart when doing so, even slightly over GRAWR. Good that you stepped up to a 2500 though at those weights.

I think that's what most of us are saying - mechanically it CAN handle it. But it isn't really SAFE.

OP
OP
tron67j

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's not entirely accurate. Gravity always pulls straight down, and while most people will never get in a situation where the trailer is very nose high or tail high, changing the angle of the trailer DOES change the weight on the tongue. That's the entire reason we have the invention known as the drop hitch.
Let me clarify, I am not suggesting that a trailer parked on a 75 degree upslope would have the same weight on the tongue jack as it would on a level surface. Of course in this instance one would have severely changed the center of mass and one could easily lift the tongue and probably flip the trailer over. My reference should have been clarified as the angle in a normal weighing situation, being a couple degrees above plane will not affect weight, ignoring fluid dynamics. Sorry for the confusion.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
We have a TT style toy hauler. Momentum 31G. This style toy haulers are notoriously hard to get set up correctly. We bought the Weigh Safe True Tow hitch on recommendation from a friend with the same trailer. It has a gauge to show the actual tongue weight and an app that you input some measurements ie: center of ball to center of trailer axles and to center of rear axle on the truck and the orientation of the draw bar and height position. Once you have that saved, you input the actual tongue weight and the app tells you the proper amount of distributed weight. Hitch has a large thru bolt on the front mount of the weight distribution bars. Just turn the bolt until the gauge reads what the app says. I've pulled the trailer in several different configurations with and without the Honda Talon in the garage. App has been spot on so far. Pretty cool idea.

50711932561_b2ebe16347_b.jpg

50712043112_edc286179d_b.jpg

I really want one of the WeighSafe WDH. Just seems like it is a perfect setup.

TerryH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 turbo
I really want one of the WeighSafe WDH. Just seems like it is a perfect setup.

The more I use it the more sold I am on it. I've pulled trailers all my life and used a lot of WD hitches. This one is unlike anything else.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
My one question, did you use the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of the trailer or did you get it weighed and use the actual weight to plug into the app?