Door squeak fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know there's a few threads on this already. I tried multiple types of lube, oil, etc and they work for a while but it comes back. I realized that the roller would work its way all the up which didn't allow it to rotate freely. This causes the noise.

I tried a rubber washer to see if it would work well to stop that contact. I bought some plastic ones to replace the rubber one with if it worked but worn out. It's been two months and the rubber one is still there. I don't think I would try anything else as this takes all of 10 seconds to do. 20210807_131129.jpg20210807_131304.jpg

The rubber washer just slips over the post. You may have to tap the roller down so it can fit. It's a quick and cheap fix. Worth a try if you're tired of spraying crap on the hinge.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Nice find! wonder if theres a silicone one, that would last longer. I can see the rubber one dry rotting out it time. Maybe one from an rc trucks shock could work.
My bike chain lube is still keeping it quiet after a year, stuff is amazing, the 2 together could be an even better combo.

OP
OP
B

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice find! wonder if theres a silicone one, that would last longer. I can see the rubber one dry rotting out it time. Maybe one from an rc trucks shock could work.
My bike chain lube is still keeping it quiet after a year, stuff is amazing, the 2 together could be an even better combo.
If this one fails, I will look into silicone. I originally thought it wouldnt last long so I got some plastic washers I thought I could make work which would hopefully last a long time. Now that it's been two months, I'm sticking with the rubber one. They're just so cheap and easy to replace that plastic or something harder, wouldn't be worth the time. Well see how the rubber holds up going to from summer to winter.

Glad the bike chain lube is working for you. I tried all sorts of stuff on my driver's door, some lasting alot longer than others. I tried oils, lubes, dry lubes, pretty much anything I could find. Didnt try chain lube.

It's only my driver door that has the issue. The rest, the roller stays put and doesn't make a sound. Obviously the driver door gets used alot more but it was getting to be too much.

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
Now I'm on the hunt, can't find your bag... gotta link???

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
What was the name of that chain lube, seemed like it lasted quite a while
it may have been PJ 1
It may have been taken off the market, it was made of whale spe*m originally

Last edited:

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP
OP
B

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Saving this thought for when I get my truck back. I think I'll try an oring first, I've got lots on hand.

Same thought with the O-ring. I have assortments of all kinds. And my hinge just started making noise again so I hope it works.

I'm sure an oring will work. That would be a good way to see if this helps. My original prototype was a piece of plastic shaped like a c clip that I clip on and it worked for a few until it cracked. I think anything that keeps that roller from sliding all the way up will help.

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
O-ring sounds like a great idea, but they do have a tendency to be of a softer rubber than a flat rubber washer... I replace 00 washers all the time on water shutoff valves, same idea, you have to force it over a mushroom head

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dug through my stash and found an assortment of O rings. I found one I thought might work and popped it on the top of the roller shaft. Presto!! No more noise! I have several more of these so we will see how long it last. I love this forum!

Attachments

• C9D2B1C5-DD0A-4214-AA74-ED234348FC0D.jpeg
    C9D2B1C5-DD0A-4214-AA74-ED234348FC0D.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 3A7A9416-4430-4FF8-B91C-C124D7B3F64D.jpeg
    3A7A9416-4430-4FF8-B91C-C124D7B3F64D.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 70

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went ahead and put o rings on the other 3 doors to prevent the same issue the driver’s door had.

Ross-e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The roller is supposed to move up and down on the post. It was designed that way. To eliminate the noise, spray some white lithium grease on the ID of the roller so it gets between the roller and the post. One small shot is all it takes, no need to spray everywhere else. Repeat every time you change the oil.

OP
OP
B

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The roller is supposed to move up and down on the post. It was designed that way. To eliminate the noise, spray some white lithium grease on the ID of the roller so it gets between the roller and the post. One small shot is all it takes, no need to spray everywhere else. Repeat every time you change the oil.
If that's the case, it didn't work that way on my driver door. The roller works it way all the way up the post and stays there. Then it would stop rotating due to the friction between it and the top of the post. I would lower it and lube it only to have to redo the process constantly.

Kelly Bohman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
I know there's a few threads on this already. I tried multiple types of lube, oil, etc and they work for a while but it comes back. I realized that the roller would work its way all the up which didn't allow it to rotate freely. This causes the noise.

I tried a rubber washer to see if it would work well to stop that contact. I bought some plastic ones to replace the rubber one with if it worked but worn out. It's been two months and the rubber one is still there. I don't think I would try anything else as this takes all of 10 seconds to do. View attachment 466884View attachment 466885

The rubber washer just slips over the post. You may have to tap the roller down so it can fit. It's a quick and cheap fix. Worth a try if you're tired of spraying crap on the hinge.
Do i need to remove the pin? Any suggestions?