Drag Link V06 Recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colt45automag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Those MF's!! Mine is welded in such a way that if a grinder were used to cut the bead I'd have to cut the whole thing off. I have to admit, I'm pretty pissed off at this. Not that long ago I had to buy a security bypass wire so that I could adjust my tire pressure. Amazing what you can hide with a can of spray paint.

kiloRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
[QUOTE="thkbaron, post: 2184010, member: 91381"I just said it's very frustrating to have spend 42000 dollars on a truck and now I have to drive with my steering wheel at a 45 degree turn to the left for the remainder of its days...………….welllll no luck. a holes. guess I'm buying my own part or waiting to see what happens with the reinvestigation.[/QUOTE]

You don't have to be stuck with a miscentered steering wheel. I took mine in several months ago for an alignment since going in a straight line took a considerable amount of steering to the left. Also asked them to check the center of the steering wheel. They said they had to do the recall or they wouldn't do the alignment. Reluctantly, I agreed, but when I picked it up the steering was significantly off center. I went back and asked the service manager what was up with it, and he simply said "the technician obviously didn't do his job correctly and they would fix it". I appreciated his no BS response, but I'm still not happy they welded on my truck. Ultimately, though, the centering of my steering wheel has been adjusted after I had the steering link recall done.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree you spend that kind of money and there fix is weld the nuts.
NOTE: Most people don’t realize that you can’t have a wheel alignment done with those being welded.
But now they said your dealer can do alignment only. No one else. I guess they doing so backwards **** to do it. Don’t know how. I’m still getting it replaced don’t want to deal with dealship if I don’t have to and don’t think I’ll ever buy another vehicle from FCA again with this ****.

if you want a real **** show then get yourself a ford. if you dont have death wobble and almost crash in a ditch youll have a swamped cab with water leaks. if you dont have a swamp youll have frozen door locks every morning and need bungey cords to hold doors closed. if i were you i would spend $135 for revised draglink and go on about your life

OP
OP
R

RSL0311USMC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
M
Engine
M
well I got in contact with FCA this morning. She was very nice and apologized saying there is basically nothing that can do. I wasn't surprised. Talking to the dealer is the option I have and of course they are no where near me. I asked about getting some sort of compensation towards the new part and she's looking into that for me. I just said it's very frustrating to have spend 42000 dollars on a truck and now I have to drive with my steering wheel at a 45 degree turn to the left for the remainder of its days...………….welllll no luck. a holes. guess I'm buying my own part or waiting to see what happens with the reinvestigation.
Yeah I got a call back today from a supervisor at fca and well nothing. They keep saying it's up to the dealer and nothing they can do. Told them I bought the part can you have them put it on to check off the recall and nope take it up with the dealer. They could care less it's not there vehicle. FCA says it's the dealers problem and the dealer says to call FCA. So I say f**k fca and all of them I will do what I have always done fix it myself. You think about it this recall is a win win for them. They force people to have to go to them the dealer for future alignment plus they get oem part sales on revised drag link assembly's.

OP
OP
R

RSL0311USMC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
M
Engine
M
Is this a picture of the drag link that is causing the recall. I'm asking because I don't want a Power Wagon. I have a 1500 4x4
Yes those nuts on the end can come loose allowing the center part the adjuster to rotate and eventually separate causing a total steering failure. The one to the right on mine in that pic was coming loose.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Isn’t that what the clamps for? And I agree. I do my own ****.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
if you want a real **** show then get yourself a ford. if you dont have death wobble and almost crash in a ditch youll have a swamped cab with water leaks. if you dont have a swamp youll have frozen door locks every morning and need bungey cords to hold doors closed. if i were you i would spend $135 for revised draglink and go on about your life
$130 really isn't the point. The point is FCA not properly correcting their mistake. They are throwing a band aid fix on something that will cost you extra money down the line if your steering wheel needs adjusting after an alignment. Not everyone is physically capable of just fixing themself, meanwhile consumers that are incapable or don't know any better will be screwed over down the road when it comes alignment time. This isn't a over cooked steak at outback to just suck it up and say screw it I'll deal with it. It's a 50k+ truck that is not being fixed properly due to a manufacturers defect. People have every right to be pissed and voice an opinion. Maybe if enough people complain it will get fix properly. I think the wish wash attitude by FCA gets people fired up even more. Its obvious they really don't even care and that's the kicker when they know it's wrong and they know the right thing to do but they fail to do it just to save a few bucks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Yes those nuts on the end can come loose allowing the center part the adjuster to rotate and eventually separate causing a total steering failure. The one to the right on mine in that pic was coming loose.

Reason I'm asking is from what I see all that needs to be done is make sure everything is lined up like steering wheel centered and alignment is correct then tighten the two nuts good and tight. Then you weld the nut to the hexagon center spacer with a weld down one side of the nut to the spacer, you can make two welds if it makes you feel better by welding down another side of the nut. Do this on both nuts and its fixed. It will be no issue in the future to grind the weld down and the nuts can be loosened with a wrench and reposioned where they need to be then re welded. I was a welder and iron worker for 16 years and I see no problem with the repair I have described because all you want to do is keep the nuts from backing off. What are the FCA shops doing, I'm seeing a lot of teeth nashing and lip biting going on on these post for nothing that I can see unless I'm totally missing something because with the fix I described you will not be hurting anything and the part will be totally re useable. Also the drag link is not something that has to be messed with very often.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah but who wants a part that’s welded together to prevent it from
Failing. It’s the principle of the thing. Its like tossing touch up paint on a Bugatti or Ferrari etc. same principle.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
Reason I'm asking is from what I see all that needs to be done is make sure everything is lined up like steering wheel centered and alignment is correct then tighten the two nuts good and tight. Then you weld the nut to the hexagon center spacer with a weld down one side of the nut to the spacer, you can make two welds if it makes you feel better by welding down another side of the nut. Do this on both nuts and its fixed. It will be no issue in the future to grind the weld down and the nuts can be loosened with a wrench and reposioned where they need to be then re welded. I was a welder and iron worker for 16 years and I see no problem with the repair I have described because all you want to do is keep the nuts from backing off. What are the FCA shops doing, I'm seeing a lot of teeth nashing and lip biting going on on these post for nothing that I can see unless I'm totally missing something because with the fix I described you will not be hurting anything and the part will be totally re useable. Also the drag link is not something that has to be messed with very often.
What if you arent that mechanically inclined. Joe schmo guy that buys a truck isn't gonna jump under there to grind welds off to realign his steering wheel if it's off center after an alignment. No he's gonna pay someone extra money to grind those welds back off and hopefully not destroy them and then re weld them. It's absurd it literally would take a Ram tech less time to just replace the drag link with the updated one, if you read the bulletin during their "torque" inspection if the nut moves from their matchark the entire drag link needs to be disassembled , inspected, reassembled and then welded and painted. Literally a new pary could be put on in less time

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i already decided what im doing. using the synergy part then when ever it wears out ill see if i can put emf rod ends on the synergy bar :anitoof:

Leonard Russo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Since my truck is under warranty I’ll let Ram deal with this defective part . After my 8 year ESP is expired I’ll replace everything with quality aftermarket parts!

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just found a local dealer(competitor to where I bought mine) that will order, install and align my 2018 with the 2019 part. They will even pick it up and return it. So, I’m going to have all that done when the oil to due and just have them do that too. Happy to find a good service department!

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just found a local dealer(competitor to where I bought mine) that will order, install and align my 2018 with the 2019 part. They will even pick it up and return it. So, I’m going to have all that done when the oil to due and just have them do that too. Happy to find a good service department!

Good deal after you get the repairs done I'd make a special trip to the stupid dealership that can't fix it correctly and show them what a real dealership can do!

Mark Sutter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I agree you spend that kind of money and there fix is weld the nuts.
NOTE: Most people don’t realize that you can’t have a wheel alignment done with those being welded.
But now they said your dealer can do alignment only. No one else. I guess they doing so backwards **** to do it. Don’t know how. I’m still getting it replaced don’t want to deal with dealship if I don’t have to and don’t think I’ll ever buy another vehicle from FCA again with this ****.
Yes you can, all they have to do is grind weld off and realign vehicle then repack weld. It’s not a big deal

BLUEDERANGO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Latest in the diabolical situation,, Ordered the part from MOPAR Overstock, paid for it and order was confirmed. When placing the order they asked for my VIN # which I gave them. Order was confirmed. Received an e-mail the next day stating my order had been placed on "HOLD" due to the fact the part # 68338342AB did not match with my VIN#. I called them this morning and
explained the situation with the part being compatible and they said OK, we will ship it. The parts person did not seem to have any knowledge of the recall. So, if you are ordering this part on line just leave the VIN# blank. At $139.00 delivered it's an easy and cheap fix for a situation that doesn't appear to corrected anytime soon.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good deal after you get the repairs done I'd make a special trip to the stupid dealership that can't fix it correctly and show them what a real dealership can do!
I’ll just start spending my money with the new dealership!