Drilling into truck bed sides

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hi Everyone,
I am installing a power inverter on the truck bed rear side, and possibly Other accessories in the future. I am looking For suggestion on what kind of bolts to use. Also contemplating installing a large metal sheet mesh, then use it to attach any accessories.
Thank you,
Ti

haleme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you installing the inverter to the bed side, or outside the bed and running wires to the bed? If I understand correctly, you are installing directly in the bed and don't need to drill holes for bolts. Just use 3/4" long #8 or #10 self tapping sheet metal screws to attach everything.

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
NEXTACK Rivet Nut Tool Rivet Nut Kit with a Step Drill Bit & 80 Nutsert Designed for Tight Space, 8" Rivnut Tool with 8 Mandrels Incl. 6-32 & 8-32 in Organized Storage Case NT600 https://a.co/d/f67SKVC

This will give you a professional looking install plus if you decide to remove it you’ll have a threaded nut that still won’t distract from the appearance of your bed.

OP
OP
Idledrummer

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Are you installing the inverter to the bed side, or outside the bed and running wires to the bed? If I understand correctly, you are installing directly in the bed and don't need to drill holes for bolts. Just use 3/4" long #8 or #10 self tapping sheet metal screws to attach everything.
Yes, I am installing inside the bed. I have a solar panel on the cabin roof, and battery on bed as well.

OP
OP
Idledrummer

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
NEXTACK Rivet Nut Tool Rivet Nut Kit with a Step Drill Bit & 80 Nutsert Designed for Tight Space, 8" Rivnut Tool with 8 Mandrels Incl. 6-32 & 8-32 in Organized Storage Case NT600 https://a.co/d/f67SKVC

This will give you a professional looking install plus if you decide to remove it you’ll have a threaded nut that still won’t distract from the appearance of your bed.
Thanks! I like this a lot!

haleme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm installing my inverter in a watertight box under the bed and routing the cables to an outdoor 110V outlet in the bed side.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm installing my inverter in a watertight box under the bed and routing the cables to an outdoor 110V outlet in the bed side.
OK, how big of an inverter are you installing? Is it pure Sine?

Rivet nut option interesting, not so sure about under the bed, but whatever works for the OP.

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve got some riv nuts from harbor freight and they are aluminum. The Amazon I referenced are steel. I like the steel much better. I’ve used both and the steel although a bit tougher to use are also much stronger.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
One tip, no matter what you use, paint the hole after you drill it, and then put a silicone bead on the RIV nut, self tapping bolt etc. This goes a long ways to stopping rust starting to form in the area where you made the new holes.

Personally, I would cut out a 3/4" Plywood panel and mount it from bed rail to bed using the existing stake bed pockets and the holes in them. No new holes needed and you can install and use locking nuts on the plywood. Also means the whole shebang is easily removed and leaves no unsightly holes in your bed.

1685130903408.png

Once the Plywood sheet is in place, these make an easy permanent thread nut that can be added from the bedside without removing the plywood sheet. Just screw it in place to the plywood sheet and you have a threaded nut to bolt the accessories to.
1685132535544.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Idledrummer

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
One tip, no matter what you use, paint the hole after you drill it, and then put a silicone bead on the RIV nut, self tapping bolt etc. This goes a long ways to stopping rust starting to form in the area where you made the new holes.

Personally, I would cut out a 3/4" Plywood panel and mount it from bed rail to bed using the existing stake bed pockets and the holes in them. No new holes needed and you can install and use locking nuts on the plywood. Also means the whole shebang is easily removed and leaves no unsightly holes in your bed.

View attachment 521909

Once the Plywood sheet is in place, these make an easy permanent thread nut that can be added from the bedside without removing the plywood sheet. Just screw it in place to the plywood sheet and you have a threaded nut to bolt the accessories to.
View attachment 521910
I like your idea. I have to remove my vinil bed tray/cover to see what holes are available.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That's going to pull over 40 amps, what size wire are you running on the 12v side?

stdyrln

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just check behind anywhere you drill- some areas are closer to the outer skin than others- mostly wheel well area. Aluminum or steel riv nuts are fine- need a better tool for stainless since they are harder. You can over crimp-crush them also- so do some testing before you install them.

The other issue is nothings flat on the inside- i got a cheap waterproof case and put my dc-dc charger and other items for my house(2nd battery) i added.

Just lay out everything you need- they dont make alot of this stuff for rams (what they do is expensive) but if you search toyota tacomas or something you can see everything people have thought up.

Attachments

• IMG_5516.jpg
    IMG_5516.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5514.jpg
    IMG_5514.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
Idledrummer

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
For now, I decided to drill only the bed liner plastic, just for the solar controller. The battery is strapped to the cargo hook, and the converter is just tucked behing the battery. I figure I will test the location before making any permanent install.

Attachments

• 20230527_154040.jpg
    20230527_154040.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 15