E-Torque Belt Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dkramer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 E-Torque
I have a 2021 5.7 Hemi E-torque with 27K miles
The e-torque belt has failed 4 times. It starts to seperate/shred on the back (engine side) aproximately every 7K to 9K miles.
T dealer replaced the belt the 1st time because the belt was apperantly defective (?), the belt was replaced the 2nd time "due to poor installation" of the 2nd belt. The belt was replaced the 3rd time along with the e-torque unit itself because the e-torque unit was binding up.
The truck is in the dealer now waiting for another e-torque unit being replaced per Chrysler engineering because the belt shredded again.
Has anyone else experienced this type of repeat failure relative to the e-torque belt?

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WOW are they over tightening the Belt, that or a misalignment problem, hope they find out why this is happening!!!

Awokenotwoke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most belt failure problems are from poor pulley dimensions. I suspect the pulley was incorrectly machined from the factory and subsequently transferred over to the replacement E-torque generator.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Keep us updated on this one

OP
OP
D

Dkramer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 E-Torque
The dealer replaced the e-torque alternator per Chrysler engineering. The new unit has a new part number and the service manager was told that it is an updated part.
Im going to pick up the truck tomorrow.
The problem is that the ongoing failure doesn't show up for 6k to 9k miles.
We'll see how it goes.

Notamastertech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I've only had the belt tensioner get weak and get a chirping sound after 5k miles. Dealer replaced the tensioner. Just hit 10k and it's starting up again. I've got a '22 5.7 etorque.

JD Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2021 5.7 e-torque with 16,000 miles; no problems yet with belt but keep us posted on your issues. Bookmarked this post to monitor.

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Why in the world would anyone want the e-torque ? This is a good example.:mad:
I traded my 2020 1500 in for a 2022 Built to Serve Edition with the eTorque. I don't feel it adds much. It has an annoying feature of going "active" before the truck is fully stopped. So, when you are slow rolling waiting for a car to pass before making a turn, the dam engine shuts off and kinda jerks if you get on the throttle too quick. Think I would have preferred a 392 SRT in it :D

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've read that they tweaked the behavior of the etorque system for '22 models. then they came out with a software update to fix the problems they created. You might ask about an update at your next dealer visit. This is what someone posted on another Ram forum...

2022 etorque flash update.JPG

Notamastertech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
So my chirping noise was getting more consistent, and I was able to replicate it at a stop while turning the wheel back and forth. Took it to the dealer and they attributed it to noisy front brake caliper hardware. In the 15 years I've been wrenching I would swear up and down that pitch of noise is belt/pulley related. Noise went away though. I realized it was something front end related when I could get it to make noise while turning. Also got 2 software updates to the hybrid system, both recalls.

Aussie-John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
I just came across this thread, and I have to say, I really don't like the eTourque. It is really annoying when you are say in a carpark, and the truck is slowing down as you are about to park, but you realise you are little short - Just as the engine cuts out - then when you take your foot of the break it wants to lurch forward, almost barreling you into the car you are parking behind.

I am finding I am turning it off more often now. Stupid thing.

Lettikka

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just reading this thread. I have a 2019 with etorque. Didn't want it but at the time I ordered it was the only 5.7 engine option (according to the dealer). Anyway, my system has been perfect for 60,000. No belt wear, no lurching, no odd behaviour at all. I kinda dig it now.

007longbeach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
Just realized that your talking about the larger belt. I'm dealing with the little water pump belt...

Wife's 2023 Eam 1500 5.7 with about 10k miles just tossed off the stretch belt on her 5.7 etorque... hope this isn't going to be a continuous issue. It's at the dealer as I don't want to fix it on my own if there truly is a design problem.

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Looks like its time to carry spare etorque and water pump belts. Many posters in another ram forum report shredded belts at low miles.

For at least 23s and 24s we need to be sure we get the correct wide belt at 1 1/8" wide. Not sure if this was updated from 19-21. (beware of belts 13/16" wide unless your 19-21 has the narrow 6 rib belt. )

The correct Mopar belt now is apparently 5281514aa. Do not know it's width. Appears that a Gates K080730 or a Dayco 5080730 will work if you have a 1 1/16 wide belt.

Lots of guys are replacing the water pump belt while they are at it. Reportedly 5281957AA

If others know of good brands of etorque belts that are sure to work on 23s and 24s (and maybe 19-21) that might help, because the auto parts stores have no idea what fits.

Last edited: