Electric Cooling Fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I'm having issues with my electric cooling fan not coming on at the specified temps. I've gone through the system a bit but the next troubleshooting step in my mind isn't my favorite.

Here's what I've done. The electric fan doesn't come on at any temp. I'm running approx a 185F tstat and fans set to 195F across the board right now.

I have a T2 and can specify my fan temps. I also had JG look at the ECU to confirm the fans to be enabled. He confirmed the fans to be set at 195F.

The fan works with an independent 12v source. The 60A fuse in the box is good and the relays both work. Relays were pulled from the box and tested. I also kept my hand on the relays as the coolant temp exceeded the specified fan temp and neither relay actuated. Not the best test but I'm confident the signal to pull the relay in and turn on the fan is not happening. Not at low speed with or with out the AC running.

Also, looked through the BCM using AlfaOBD and saw nothing about the cooling system enable or such. I also looked through the ECU using alfa and found a few lines specify which cooling fan system was installed in the truck, I think a single speed, two speed or pulse width modulated, pwm, were options mine being enabled for the two speed setup. And according to the configuration in my fuse box and my T2, I think that's correct.

There was no recent event which caused the fan to fail, no event that I'm aware of. It's actually quite possible the fan never worked and I finally noticed. So a system enable could be what is missing although I read enough lines of BCM, ECU configurations that I've enough of that. Twice through each is not how I'm hoping to spend another afternoon.

I do have my OE ECU and could swap it back to confirm the output of ECU but I've changed enough on my 6.4l that I don't really want to go there if I dont have to. Main concern is the original temps are set for around 220F with an OE stat of 216F. My stat is going to open at 185F and she might have to see higher then 800 rpm to heat up to 220F, then I envision the cam phaser lock installed and **** starts hating each other in my head. I maybe wrong and it's OK to run the OE control program but I'm not feeling it right now and I know the vvt is physically locked and reduced range in the controller so I really dont think I'll be running the OE program.

Any help, suggestions, corrections or discussion is much appreciated.

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I'm having issues with my electric cooling fan not coming on at the specified temps. I've gone through the system a bit but the next troubleshooting step in my mind isn't my favorite.

Here's what I've done. The electric fan doesn't come on at any temp. I'm running approx a 185F tstat and fans set to 195F across the board right now.

I have a T2 and can specify my fan temps. I also had JG look at the ECU to confirm the fans to be enabled. He confirmed the fans to be set at 195F.

The fan works with an independent 12v source. The 60A fuse in the box is good and the relays both work. Relays were pulled from the box and tested. I also kept my hand on the relays as the coolant temp exceeded the specified fan temp and neither relay actuated. Not the best test but I'm confident the signal to pull the relay in and turn on the fan is not happening. Not at low speed with or with out the AC running.

Also, looked through the BCM using AlfaOBD and saw nothing about the cooling system enable or such. I also looked through the ECU using alfa and found a few lines specify which cooling fan system was installed in the truck, I think a single speed, two speed or pulse width modulated, pwm, were options mine being enabled for the two speed setup. And according to the configuration in my fuse box and my T2, I think that's correct.

There was no recent event which caused the fan to fail, no event that I'm aware of. It's actually quite possible the fan never worked and I finally noticed. So a system enable could be what is missing although I read enough lines of BCM, ECU configurations that I've enough of that. Twice through each is not how I'm hoping to spend another afternoon.

I do have my OE ECU and could swap it back to confirm the output of ECU but I've changed enough on my 6.4l that I don't really want to go there if I dont have to. Main concern is the original temps are set for around 220F with an OE stat of 216F. My stat is going to open at 185F and she might have to see higher then 800 rpm to heat up to 220F, then I envision the cam phaser lock installed and **** starts hating each other in my head. I maybe wrong and it's OK to run the OE control program but I'm not feeling it right now and I know the vvt is physically locked and reduced range in the controller so I really dont think I'll be running the OE program.

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

The PCM has to be doing something funky to have issue but who knows exactly what it's doing.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Just a shot in the dark,but see what happens if you turn the heater controls to the defrost setting

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I haven't had a chance to get it up to temp and check again with controls set for defrost, at least not a chance AND remember. Lol but I think I'll have A chance today and I wrote it on my hand, external memory. Lol

For the time being I knapped a toggle switch into the cab direct from battery (fused) to the fan so I can keep it cool in slow traffic.

Also, the 180 tstat is kicking ass, she'll hold 185F to 190F better then most anything else I've operated,, until I stop of course then, fan off gets hot quick and fan on sticks the temp at 185 maybe a bump to 187F, I love not running so damn hot. Also, previously the temp control would swing almost uncontrollably from 200F to 225F, constant cycle that's such a huge variation.

Any way. Thought I'd shout it out again, woo thank yall!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I haven't had a chance to get it up to temp and check again with controls set for defrost, at least not a chance AND remember. Lol but I think I'll have A chance today and I wrote it on my hand, external memory. Lol

For the time being I knapped a toggle switch into the cab direct from battery (fused) to the fan so I can keep it cool in slow traffic.

Also, the 180 tstat is kicking ass, she'll hold 185F to 190F better then most anything else I've operated,, until I stop of course then, fan off gets hot quick and fan on sticks the temp at 185 maybe a bump to 187F, I love not running so damn hot. Also, previously the temp control would swing almost uncontrollably from 200F to 225F, constant cycle that's such a huge variation.

Any way. Thought I'd shout it out again, woo thank yall!

You could wire in a remote temp probe through a relay from an aftermarket fan.Alot of them are adjustable,might be cheaper/easier then figuring out what's wrong.Just throwing an idea at you,as modding things is right up your alley,lol.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you end up going the temp probe setup I would go high end. Look up auto cool guy. I’m running his nb50. Have had it in for 2 years or more now. I love it. Have my temp sensor in the hose on the inlet to the engine from the radiator. It’s Pwm fan speed controlled and taps the ac so it’ll run full speed with ac on.

9F46968E-D3AB-4C8F-B5E4-C089A686DE80.jpeg

E84A2B11-88DB-441D-B132-8B5D84C6F818.jpeg

D09AC573-B76D-453E-A3EC-781DB6C5A955.jpeg

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
This is another excellent idea, right now I'm thinking PCM & I dont feel like replacing that unit. So this Is right target, Ramf, Tapatalk or Some one needs to figure out how to let buy each other a beer on here.[emoji481] instead of emojis.

Oh also I had no change in fan operation with hvac controls set to defrost front, or rear or both. Stroked the AC on and off, fan didn't wiggle. the engine was 37° above setpoint. Temp at 187F with fan setpoint at 150F.

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
If you end up going the temp probe setup I would go high end. Look up auto cool guy. I’m running his nb50. Have had it in for 2 years or more now. I love it. Have my temp sensor in the hose on the inlet to the engine from the radiator. It’s Pwm fan speed controlled and taps the ac so it’ll run full speed with ac on.

View attachment 242686

View attachment 242687

View attachment 242689
I read your other post too, I feel lucky as hell I can drop in a replacement stand alone cooling fan. This is so cool, I'm going to go with the autocoolguy.com system like You have.

I bought a V6 Fan, no idea if it is brushless, Im going to guess no. My stock fan is in excellent Working order it's just rather shroudless. and V6 fan has a decent shroud. Nothing like the stock shroud of the mechanical fan but I was thinking stock fan with V6 shroud, but It sounds like any fan other than a PwM has the potential to burn up quickly or did I misread that ? Are you still running the same fan, brushless 2016+ V6 Fan?

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Did you try making the setting a 1 speed fan vs. the 2 speed?
Ah, no I did not. I think the fan setpoints indicate a two speed system with one sp for fast with AC on & one sp for slow speed with AC on So I think I developed tunnel vision. Two points, First after writing this down, I think I misread the sp config in my T2 as the speed (fast or slow) being fan speed, Second is even if I didnt, doesn't necessarily mean it's a two speed, does it

I'm going to go enable single speed fan, I'll be back.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read your other post too, I feel lucky as hell I can drop in a replacement stand alone cooling fan. This is so cool, I'm going to go with the autocoolguy.com system like You have.

I bought a V6 Fan, no idea if it is brushless, Im going to guess no. My stock fan is in excellent Working order it's just rather shroudless. and V6 fan has a decent shroud. Nothing like the stock shroud of the mechanical fan but I was thinking stock fan with V6 shroud, but It sounds like any fan other than a PwM has the potential to burn up quickly or did I misread that ? Are you still running the same fan, brushless 2016+ V6 Fan?

The 2009-2012 v6 fan is a drop in for the 1500 5.7 and is not brushless. The pwm controller works for any standard fan. It will not work for brushless fans. I have been running an aftermarket version of the stock v6 fan from a 2012 for 2 years and the only issue I had was an electrical failure at the tipm. The fans are 2 speed controlled on the v6 trucks but however I have never seen it run slow speed on the hemis. This controller still runs the fan at 12v but has a pulse signal that regulates the fan speed higher or slower so less risk of burning it out. you have a 2500 correct? I don’t think the fan is a drop in for the 2500 because your radiator is different. You may be able to build a custom setup pretty easily out of aluminum and a press brake to bend it. Then just secure it to the radiator and mount up your fan or fans that way. I was working with someone on a module for the brushless fans from the ecodiesel but have given up at the moment. I was using the 2016 pentastar fan and have had the ability to get it to spin up with said module but not get it communicate with the truck to tell it to turn on. I have had the module reprogrammed but haven’t tested out the new programming yet to see if it’ll respond to the truck.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought it was a single speed fan but controlled differently via the PCM.

Also do you have the 3.7 V6 fan (which I am hoping you do because the 3.6 fan won't work).

And fan does run with manually trying it correct?

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I thought it was a single speed fan but controlled differently via the PCM.

Also do you have the 3.7 V6 fan (which I am hoping you do because the 3.6 fan won't work).

And fan does run with manually trying it correct?
I have three electric fans, the stock Denso and then two aftermarket V6 fans shown in the attached Amazon pic. The aftermarket have three conductors in the electrical connector to the fan. The stick fan only has two conductors in its connector. And yes, the stock and at least one aftermarket work with 12 volt source being applied to the terminals.

I went back to enable the fan as a single speed and for the sanity of me, could not find the 'enable' Instruction for the fans or more specifically "x Speed fan mechanical relay system equipped". ( See screenshot of notepad++ image labeled "ECU Fan Config.jpg" shows the configuration code I'm referencing. )

The ECU has mostly diagnostics available with AlfaOBD and not many config changes available (although there are a couple). As I was reading through the ECU diagnostics I found instruction 'Fan 1' and instruction 'Fan2'. ( I show these diagnostic instructions in image named "Fan1 and Fan2 diagnostic.jpg").

When I run 'Fan1', fan relay #1 in the fuse box pulls in and there is a strange high frequency sound being emitted, stock fan is plugged in and does not move.
When I run 'Fan2' , fan relay #2 pulls in and stock fan takes off spinning, very strong.
I'm thinking if AlfaOBD would let me run 'Fan1' while 'Fan2' was running then the cooling fan would run at a reduced speed. But this is mostly based on..........a guess.

I then dug through the Body Computer and the ECU but I don't come with any configuration changes to enable or modify the fan system in any way whatsoever. At least nothing that I recognized as doing so. I was tired and that is some very mundane reading. I will read through them again. A search of the 'System Status' for the BCM doe not find any reference with the word 'Fan.'

That pretty much where I stopped. Not exactly sure where to go next. fb36a27073283658c812b4452751ea50.jpg1a867e8bae4954013b8e0b9dcdf9082e.jpge65d50f4d6be503bca7370bbb8ee7065.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have three electric fans, the stock Denso and then two aftermarket V6 fans shown in the attached Amazon pic. The aftermarket have three conductors in the electrical connector to the fan. The stick fan only has two conductors in its connector. And yes, the stock and at least one aftermarket work with 12 volt source being applied to the terminals.

I went back to enable the fan as a single speed and for the sanity of me, could not find the 'enable' Instruction for the fans or more specifically "x Speed fan mechanical relay system equipped". ( See screenshot of notepad++ image labeled "ECU Fan Config.jpg" shows the configuration code I'm referencing. )

The ECU has mostly diagnostics available with AlfaOBD and not many config changes available (although there are a couple). As I was reading through the ECU diagnostics I found instruction 'Fan 1' and instruction 'Fan2'. ( I show these diagnostic instructions in image named "Fan1 and Fan2 diagnostic.jpg").

When I run 'Fan1', fan relay #1 in the fuse box pulls in and there is a strange high frequency sound being emitted, stock fan is plugged in and does not move.
When I run 'Fan2' , fan relay #2 pulls in and stock fan takes off spinning, very strong.
I'm thinking if AlfaOBD would let me run 'Fan1' while 'Fan2' was running then the cooling fan would run at a reduced speed. But this is mostly based on..........a guess.

I then dug through the Body Computer and the ECU but I don't come with any configuration changes to enable or modify the fan system in any way whatsoever. At least nothing that I recognized as doing so. I was tired and that is some very mundane reading. I will read through them again. A search of the 'System Status' for the BCM doe not find any reference with the word 'Fan.'

That pretty much where I stopped. Not exactly sure where to go next. fb36a27073283658c812b4452751ea50.jpg1a867e8bae4954013b8e0b9dcdf9082e.jpge65d50f4d6be503bca7370bbb8ee7065.jpg

For ***** and giggles did you try swapping the relays around,wouldn't be the first time a relay went south and made all kinds of noises when it does.Another thought is to take a short piece of 12 or 14G wire, and pull relay #1 out and jump the fan terminals under it.I do it all the time at the track on both the car and truck,so i can run the fan between rounds.Even have short jumpers made up with 30 amp switches in them and they sit under the fuse box covers in both vehicles,and the relays are marked with a red X,lol

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL past my expertise :)
I am all stock and haven't played with Apha.

If you want, you should be able to use your stock fan motor with the aftermarket fan blade and shroud - at least with an OEM V6 fan they are swappable.

The OEM motor is far superior to the aftermarket fan motors imo.

I follow your logic and it sounds logical as far fan 1 and fan 2, but I don't know if they work like that.

I don't remember ever hearing different speeds when using the OEM V6 fan or the stock fan on my 2016 1500. All stock.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

The changes made to my truck removing the clutch fan and going V6 fan change was adjusted in my Diablo tune from Greene. From my understanding it's a simple temp set on 195°and temp set turn off 185°. (Tstat is 180°) When I look at my i3 it always seems to be around the AC fan settings for on and off. Sorry truck is pwmless :( I would search around in the AC settings of your devices and see if something comes up. Good luck.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
TYC fan went south on me in less than a year. Running the Dorman now and much better experience.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The changes made to my truck removing the clutch fan and going V6 fan change was adjusted in my Diablo tune from Greene. From my understanding it's a simple temp set on 195°and temp set turn off 185°. (Tstat is 180°) When I look at my i3 it always seems to be around the AC fan settings for on and off. Sorry truck is pwmless :( I would search around in the AC settings of your devices and see if something comes up. Good luck.

You might want to check that "off" temp,odds are Jay has it set higher then 185,the fan will never turn off if it's set at 185 even with a 180 T-stat.The trucks won't run under 185 no matter what thermostat you put in them.I've ran thermostats from 180 / 170 / and right now a 160 is in my truck,they all run at 185 after the engine is up to temperature