Electric Cooling Fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
You might want to check that "off" temp,odds are Jay has it set higher then 185,the fan will never turn off if it's set at 185 even with a 180 T-stat.The trucks won't run under 185 no matter what thermostat you put in them.I've ran thermostats from 180 / 170 / and right now a 160 is in my truck,they all run at 185 after the engine is up to temperature

I'm sure I'm saying it wrong. It works correctly though. Have had this setup for 2-3years now

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm sure I'm saying it wrong. It works correctly though. Have had this setup for 2-3years now

If i remember right,i think Jay usually sets the off temperature somewhere around 190/192'ish.As soon as your moving the truck will cool down to 185 just from airflow through the rad

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
@redsrtforme, @wildone

What youguys are describing is exactly what I'm seeing in my operating temps/cooling system. I thought the tstat was just off by 5F lol. Wasn't sure how that was but I was so happy being out of the 216 club that 185 is rockn. Very interesting the engines run 185F and dont go lower.

out of curiosity how's this managed - pump flow rate & radiator design? Seems really accurate and precise for those to be the control elements, because I don't think I ever see mine under 185F after it warms.

So I did run all this by Jay last week. I offered to pay him for his time, and if he knew of a 'fan enable' and would he double check to make sure it was set, His reply was very fast. He said,
"The fan is set for 195F, double checked and saved it", Jay

So I figure if I have an exact ask of him for something in the controller I can request it. But I felt like he wasn't in the market for my fan repair. Totally cool, the guy is over worked, You fellas here ought to be cautious, you'll be next,. :)

I'm going take a snap of the three setpoints I have in my T2. From memory one is

"Fan on temp 195F"
"AC on, Fan on temp (high speed mph) 195F"
"AC on, Fan on temp (low speed mph) 195F"

We're gonna see just how batsjit crazy what I remember actually is. Cause I'm gonna post this then go inside and get my T2, I'll upload the screens. But mostly for info purposes because no matter, I really liked the pwm stand alone controller as a solution. So I ordered the DH-150 from dude.com. (I forget website but it's who you said)

I wanna see if your setpoints are written the same in your controller. I initially thought the control scheme of 'AC on' was a little arbitrary,.why FCA didn't just use an ambient air temp? I mean everybody runs AC differently. Slightly anyways some extremely but Whatever AC seems to works.

Too much coffee already, sorry fellas.

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@redsrtforme, @wildone

What youguys are describing is exactly what I'm seeing in my operating temps/cooling system. I thought the tstat was just off by 5F lol. Wasn't sure how that was but I was so happy being out of the 216 club that 185 is rockn. Very interesting the engines run 185F and dont go lower.

out of curiosity how's this managed - pump flow rate & radiator design? Seems really accurate and precise for those to be the control elements, because I don't think I ever see mine under 185F after it warms.

So I did run all this by Jay last week. I offered to pay him for his time, and if he knew of a 'fan enable' and would he double check to make sure it was set, His reply was very fast. He said,
"The fan is set for 195F, double checked and saved it", Jay

So I figure if I have an exact ask of him for something in the controller I can request it. But I felt like he wasn't in the market for my fan repair. Totally cool, the guy is over worked, You fellas here ought to be cautious, you'll be next,. :)

I'm going take a snap of the three setpoints I have in my T2. From memory one is

"Fan on temp 195F"
"AC on, Fan on temp (high speed mph) 195F"
"AC on, Fan on temp (low speed mph) 195F"

We're gonna see just how batsjit crazy what I remember actually is. Cause I'm gonna post this then go inside and get my T2, I'll upload the screens. But mostly for info purposes because no matter, I really liked the pwm stand alone controller as a solution. So I ordered the DH-150 from dude.com. (I forget website but it's who you said)

I wanna see if your setpoints are written the same in your controller. I initially thought the control scheme of 'AC on' was a little arbitrary,.why FCA didn't just use an ambient air temp? I mean everybody runs AC differently. Slightly anyways some extremely but Whatever AC seems to works.

Too much coffee already, sorry fellas.

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................
Autocoolguy? Running a big fan or dual fans? I have the nb-50 on my truck. The v6 fan is only like 30 amps or less I think.

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
LOL past my expertise :)
I am all stock and haven't played with Apha.

If you want, you should be able to use your stock fan motor with the aftermarket fan blade and shroud - at least with an OEM V6 fan they are swappable.

The OEM motor is far superior to the aftermarket fan motors imo.

I follow your logic and it sounds logical as far fan 1 and fan 2, but I don't know if they work like that.

I don't remember ever hearing different speeds when using the OEM V6 fan or the stock fan on my 2016 1500. All stock.
Hmmm yeah, good points, I too feel like the stock fan motor far superior to the others.

I have had the mechanical fan in since beginning, so loud that I never heard my electric fan run and I never really bothered because I never had any kind of heat issue, other than their design point for the engine. But I recently removed the clutch fan, regretfully so, because I just took a run up I70 through Eisenhower tunnel,.(Ike gauntlet per TFL. I'm sure you know), and my truck had all new heat issues. It's been solid since I rebuilt top end but this was a good test. Truck handled it all fine before but this time engine and tranny had heat.

I dont think my stage 3 ish top.end is generating that kind of heat, I'm thinking it's due the clutch fan delete and how much air that thing must have moved.

I dont want it back unless I have to tho. Can I replace the lost cooling with maybe better radiator? I don't think my electric fan will do it. even with my new PWM fan controller.

I haven't even put my torque converter in yet, 3000.stall and my tranny heated quick at WOT yesterday. That never happened before. new stall is not going to go well with Current heat

I also dont have all the little pieces of engine bay liner material around the radiator, this may have played a factor to Ii suppose, all the big pieces are in tho.

Sometimes I should just leave some stuff alone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Autocoolguy? Running a big fan or dual fans? I have the nb-50 on my truck. The v6 fan is only like 30 amps or less I think.
Yes Auto cool guy, Are bigger fans readily available that will Move air like the c lutch fan can ? I really struggled with heat Yesterday. Big Single fan but i'm game for w hatever will get my temps under control In Extreme conditions.

How long did your Auto cool controller take to arrive? days or weeks? thanks

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have had the mechanical fan in since beginning, so loud that I never heard my electric fan run and I never really bothered because I never had any kind of heat issue, other than their design point for the engine. But I recently removed the clutch fan, regretfully so, because I just took a run up I70 through Eisenhower tunnel,.(Ike gauntlet per TFL. I'm sure you know), and my truck had all new heat issues. It's been solid since I rebuilt top end but this was a good test. Truck handled it all fine before but this time engine and tranny had heat.

I dont think my stage 3 ish top.end is generating that kind of heat, I'm thinking it's due the clutch fan delete and how much air that thing must have moved.

I dont want it back unless I have to tho. Can I replace the lost cooling with maybe better radiator? I don't think my electric fan will do it. even with my new PWM fan controller.
You might need a more powerful electric fan or back to mechanical clutch fan for being able to cool the engine under big loads/towing.
One of shortcomings of the Gen2 EcoDiesel is the lack of a mechanical fan. Granted it has a considerably larger electric fan(850 watt/70 amp) that what your running now, it's not capable of moving as much as a mechanical. The EcoDiesel also has a higher fin density radiator than the Hemi.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@crazykid1994 Was It you running a catch- Can on a 6,4l intake manifold ? Ifnot maybe It was RedSRT?

yup. That’s me.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/6-4-intake-manifold-swap.163727/

Yes Auto cool guy, Are bigger fans readily available that will Move air like the c lutch fan can ? I really struggled with heat Yesterday. Big Single fan but i'm game for w hatever will get my temps under control In Extreme conditions.

How long did your Auto cool controller take to arrive? days or weeks? thanks

I can’t remember. It’s been 2 years. Lol. For bigger fans you would have to go custom. And probably dual at that point with a custom shroud made from aluminum. The 6.4 has a larger radiator than the 5.7 if I remember correctly so I can’t see you having a to much of an issue but more airflow never hurts. I know mine is only the 5.7 but my fan never hits full speed no matter what I’m doing. Even off-roading and a heat soaked engine my highest temps I saw was upper 190s and my normal running temp is 192. I’m lifted on 35s and don’t baby my truck ever. Hell I used it to haul a few hundred pounds in the bed while pulling a loaded uhaul trailer 15 miles after driving 20 miles empty with the trailer so I know the truck was already warmed up and I had 0 issues. Even still I’ll most likely be swapping to a full aluminum rad probably next year and that’ll help keep temps lower too.

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
You might need a more powerful electric fan or back to mechanical clutch fan for being able to cool the engine under big loads/towing.
One of shortcomings of the Gen2 EcoDiesel is the lack of a mechanical fan. Granted it has a considerably larger electric fan(850 watt/70 amp) that what your running now, it's not capable of moving as much as a mechanical. The EcoDiesel also has a higher fin density radiator than the Hemi.
is the Ecodiesel fan close to a direct fit ? or maybe the ecodiesel Radiator and Fan setup ?

I was pissed off by the time I got the mechanical fan and the shroud off this truck I launched the fon across the shop, such a brief victory when I break someting during the endzone dance. I really like the recovered space the clutch fan consumed but damn I had heat issues on I-70 Yesterday and my after market fan, not a good one or the best for sure, was running full speed at 14.4 v.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmmm yeah, good points, I too feel like the stock fan motor far superior to the others.

I haven't even put my torque converter in yet, 3000.stall and my tranny heated quick at WOT yesterday. That never happened before. new stall is not going to go well with Current heat

I also dont have all the little pieces of engine bay liner material around the radiator, this may have played a factor to Ii suppose, all the big pieces are in tho.

Sometimes I should just leave some stuff alone.

Ike is a fun run. I was a bit bummed that I downshifted into 6th gear going up with the cruise set at 63 mph :( I was hoping to pull it in 7th :)

I seldom hear my clutch fan - only on startup and in the heat of summer after leaving a long redlight if it is really hot out.

Maybe your clutch fan isn't working right?

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The eco diesel fan is a direct fit in a 1500 but is not plug and play. Requires a different signal to run too. If I ever get around to testing my pentastar fan controller then there will be a drop in pwm controller for that which is better than the v6 fan.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
is the Ecodiesel fan close to a direct fit ? or maybe the ecodiesel Radiator and Fan setup ?
The problem will be with controlling the fan, it uses just a PWM signal from the PCM and don't believe anyone has reported their tuner has successfully been able to get it to work on a Hemi.
I had a slight brain fart, the higher density information is in comparison to the 1500 5.7 Hemi radiator, not sure about the 6.4 version. The 6.4 cooling system using a separate pressure tank/degas bottle similar to EcoDiesel. The EcoD radiator doesn't have a filler neck on it.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I was pissed off by the time I got the mechanical fan and the shroud off this truck I launched the fon across the shop, such a brief victory when I break someting during the endzone dance. I really like the recovered space the clutch fan consumed but damn I had heat issues on I-70 Yesterday and my after market fan, not a good one or the best for sure, was running full speed at 14.4 v.

I don't think the ecodiesel fan has been able to be used yet due to it being a PWM fan. I could be mixing it up with the Pentastar fan though.

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
yup. That’s me.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/6-4-intake-manifold-swap.163727/

I can’t remember. It’s been 2 years. Lol. For bigger fans you would have to go custom. And probably dual at that point with a custom shroud made from aluminum. The 6.4 has a larger radiator than the 5.7 if I remember correctly so I can’t see you having a to much of an issue but more airflow never hurts. I know mine is only the 5.7 but my fan never hits full speed no matter what I’m doing. Even off-roading and a heat soaked engine my highest temps I saw was upper 190s and my normal running temp is 192. I’m lifted on 35s and don’t baby my truck ever. Hell I used it to haul a few hundred pounds in the bed while pulling a loaded uhaul trailer 15 miles after driving 20 miles empty with the trailer so I know the truck was already warmed up and I had 0 issues. Even still I’ll most likely be swapping to a full aluminum rad probably next year and that’ll help keep temps lower too.
Dang, Dang, and damn, I wonder if I have Something else going on. Improper Coolant, my grills didn't change, hmm . Your description ofYour temps /system is very similar to mine previous, recent topend stuff moving More (Combustion)air for sure but nothing like blown, I hit 234 F on engine and My tranny hit 201 F. 70° F for ambient temp, electtric fan switched on, I had to pull out of the WOT run, and It cooled immediatley but it got there quick too. i'm pretty sure Iput the four radiators back together right but I could not find a picture or diagram, Chilton or on line any Way, So I kinda went best guess but It Sure Seems to be struggling under load., Maybe Ihave a real ****** electric fan. It Was $98, probably not helping a whole lot.

thanks for You're catch can thread !! Yeah! I've been ready to find ya for a couple weeks now, Copy Your efforts. Are You happy with it? which catch can ? I bought a 'deal' there to, $125, but I saw that video, I think You May have posted it, the explanation for the $358 model. It seemed Convincing any way.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Dang, Dang, and damn, I wonder if I have Something else going on. Improper Coolant, my grills didn't change, hmm . Your description ofYour temps /system is very similar to mine previous, recent topend stuff moving More (Combustion)air for sure but nothing like blown, I hit 234 F on engine and My tranny hit 201 F. 70° F for ambient temp, electtric fan switched on, I had to pull out of the WOT run, and It cooled immediatley but it got there quick too. i'm pretty sure Iput the four radiators back together right but I could not find a picture or diagram, Chilton or on line any Way, So I kinda went best guess but It Sure Seems to be struggling under load., Maybe Ihave a real ****** electric fan. It Was $98, probably not helping a whole lot.

thanks for You're catch can thread !! Yeah! I've been ready to find ya for a couple weeks now, Copy Your efforts. Are You happy with it? which catch can ? I bought a 'deal' there to, $125, but I saw that video, I think You May have posted it, the explanation for the $358 model. It seemed Convincing any way.

I believe the 6 speed like the 8 speed runs coolant through the transmission to heat the fluid quicker. I believe the 185° threshold is about the max it can cool till a larger radiator with more capacity is installed.

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Ike is a fun run. I was a bit bummed that I downshifted into 6th gear going up with the cruise set at 63 mph :( I was hoping to pull it in 7th :)

I seldom hear my clutch fan - only on startup and in the heat of summer after leaving a long redlight if it is really hot out.

Maybe your clutch fan isn't working right?
Almost pulled Ike In 7th, thats impressive. which direction, Western slope headed east ? Either direction is full pull, I usually reach the top in top end of 4th maybe Into 5th at 85 to 90 mph (as long no one else is around, which is usually my goal.) lol, I might try Your Strategy next time, see what gear she can finish, It would be a lot easier on my ride, thats for sure. This one is a 2500 on 37s, I Just removed the clutch fan, (and of course I broke a blade ), no Shutters ~power wagon slat grill. I recently completed cam , lifter , heads, ln take, tb, Some deleted Items, so I have a few More details to see through., Including coolant heat Capacity, All the soft shroud pieces that channel air at the radiator and at a minimum use stock fan with aftermarket fan shroud,with pwm controller and then See where temp control sits.

Also another recent significant mod is completely violated FCA with a tstat mod. only stat for a 6,4 is a complicated, one ofa kind, expensive, 216F stat. with the help (final solution) of the same members on this Electric Fan thread we Conquered the 6:4 tstat beast and proto'd a 180F stat that works amazingly well as long as I'm not WOT up Ike. "_"

Just kinda unusual, right now, truck stays cool at 185F almost perfectly while moving even under some load and with no fan, almost no matter what, but she needs air handling for the hot and extreme.

And if I actually think about it, I dont know what fan I've heard, clutch, electric together or not. If heard electrical thst would be exciting, totally possible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The changes made to my truck removing the clutch fan and going V6 fan change was adjusted in my Diablo tune from Greene. From my understanding it's a simple temp set on 195°and temp set turn off 185°. (Tstat is 180°) When I look at my i3 it always seems to be around the AC fan settings for on and off. Sorry truck is pwmless :( I would search around in the AC settings of your devices and see if something comes up. Good luck.
Here's the Fan setpoints in my tuner, FWIW. The Only Fan config I Can find anywhere.
Memory was kinda close but was way wrong. All temps set 195, I think thats correct Yeah?
"High Fan on", I guess they've refferring to my
one and only electric fan.?b6db531f57afe6d4ee5b7c6c118042cc.jpg996b73e7e93a2c065e15770ca4b3c76b.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What are your oil temps like when the coolant temps are high? You could look into running a seperate thermostatically controlled oil cooler,which should keep your oil temps under control. On your coolant temps i got nothing other then maybe look into adding a big pusher fan in front of the rad,or buy a new clutch fan and put it back to stock.

These guys have some nice oil cooler stuff to check out.

Remote Engine & Transmission Oil Filter Mount with Thermostat (improvedracing.com)