Exhaust manifolds backordered and heat shields "Impossible" to get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my 18' 1500 5.7 had the passenger side manifold leaking at around 85k. Finally have the time get it done and i made an appointment at the dealer 4 weeks ago to have it done under warranty. I drop the truck off yesterday morning and at 3pm, having not heard any update i call them. "Well, the truck is not even in a bay yet, we are short on staff due to covid" (In other words, you pay your mechanics crap money and nobody wants to work there). That being said they claim they will "Get right on it".
So now at 4pm they say "Well, the manifold is not in stock anywhere, latest estimate is 5-8 weeks. Oh, and you MIGHT need a new heat shield if we can't re-use the old one, those are showing backordered indefinitely"
The fact these clowns never ordered the parts 4 weeks ago when i made the appointment AND never bothered to call me before i came in to say "Hey, you might as well not even bring the truck in since we don't have the parts" is exactly why people are getting fed up with Ram.
Does anyone know any truth to this? Are these parts really this hard to find?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
You are getting it repaired under warranty, so that means there is no urgency to get you going since they don't make money off of you really ...

They did the same thing to me with my fuel tank, said I had an appointment and they had the fuel tank at hand, all of the sudden they didn't have the fuel tank and some other bs ... these guys are just trash man ...

OP
OP
AE5548

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So now they’ve had my truck since yesterday at 7:30 AM. In addition to having them address the manifold replacement, I was also having them do the spark plugs and replace my radio since I have the dreaded 2018 screen delamination flaw.

So they said even though they couldn’t get the exhaust manifold they would do the plugs and the radio today.
Well I just called to see how that’s going and they claim they replaced the radio but the replacement was defective so they put my old one back.
Now I have to go back and have the radio replaced when they eventually get the exhaust manifold in stock. I swear this is the last Dodge I will ever buy.

Anyone care to guess what they are charging to do the spark plugs?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So now they’ve had my truck since yesterday at 7:30 AM. In addition to having them address the manifold replacement, I was also having them do the spark plugs and replace my radio since I have the dreaded 2018 screen delamination flaw.

So they said even though they couldn’t get the exhaust manifold they would do the plugs and the radio today.
Well I just called to see how that’s going and they claim they replaced the radio but the replacement was defective so they put my old one back.
Now I have to go back and have the radio replaced when they eventually get the exhaust manifold in stock. I swear this is the last Dodge I will ever buy.

Probably whatever the book time is,plus the cost of the plugs,bet you'll do them yourself next time,lol
One of these plug sockets makes doing the plugs a whole lot easier

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Plugs will run you ~ $110 from RockAuto

NGK 92145 is the number for the plugs. I believe. Took me about 3 hrs., but I am not fast

Get yourself a couple cold beers to help with the task. My FIL had a topside creeper. Made life alot easier. but had a sore abdomen from laying my fat ass on it.....lol

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Plugs will run you ~ $110 from RockAuto

NGK 92145 is the number for the plugs. I believe. Took me about 3 hrs., but I am not fast

Get yourself a couple cold beers to help with the task. My FIL had a topside creeper. Made life alot easier. but had a sore abdomen from laying my fat ass on it.....lol
Oh you ain't lying about that lol ... I had a 6 pack for a week after changing the spark plugs on @the_goodguy07 's truck last year ... but with that socket it was honestly a breeze, I think we did it in about 2 hours or less ...

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Was thinking that's a good price, then realized you had an '11. Different plugs than the '13 and up.

My local dealer quoted me $29 each to buy the Laser Iridium plugs in my '15. and that was almost 2 years ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AE5548

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was thinking that's a good price, then realized you had an '11. Different plugs than the '13 and up.

My local dealer quoted me $29 each to buy the Laser Iridium plugs in my '15. and that was almost 2 years ago.
I have an 18'. i was saying i did them myself when i had an 11'.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I did them myself on my 11' Ram. I am just completely swamped with no time to start messing with them. So it cost me $540 to have them change them.
That's not a bad price if it included the plugs to,as your 18 uses the gold priced irridium plugs

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably whatever the book time is,plus the cost of the plugs,bet you'll do them yourself next time,lol
One of these plug sockets makes doing the plugs a whole lot easier

No doubt a must have. I have 3 of them with one in my truck toolbox.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
2011 Ram
NGK 92145 Laser Iridium; Pre-Set Gap: 0.044"
Dual Plug; OE-Recommended Gap: 0.044"; Recommended FCA IRIDIUM OE extended service part
$6.46 ea.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Did they show a Crack in the manifold ?
They don't usually have to replace the manifold, they just usually Machine it.
They also reuse the heat shield
All the bolts are replaced, because the OEM Bolts get stretched
the bolts are Grade 8

MudSkipper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah heat shields are the problem... manifolds are everywhere and just have them planed... If i see good heat shield i grab them up...
You can get them down south and they are usually in good shape..

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi

No , but why not try another dealer, or just buy a ford.
I would have taken it as soon as it went instead of waiting 4 weeks.
They will not order parts ahead of time, and the manifold could, should be milled, but I guess under warranty they don't do that.
Thou I would be surprised if a big dealer did not stock that stuff. The lots up here are still empty. Honda dealer has one new car, in the show room.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963