Factory ZF 8 speed transmission fill procedure after doing a tranny service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes I run it as well, I was talking about the transfer case that takes unicorn ****, the 45. But guys still run it in there and say it works great. The only issue I know of I was hoping Justin would clarify, I think there was one ram member that tried it in 8 speed and didnt prefer the shifts. Because he was one of the first people to run it in the 8 speed I was just saying we need more forum members to clarify how it works.

And just as that the zf lifegard is also redline quality oil and is oem replacement much cheaper then oem. With the 8 speed service being such a pain in the ass, I just want guys to not have to do unnecessary flushes. In fact, i think I will start a thread to see how d6 is as a replacement for oem, thanks.

was just quoted by the dealer 28 bucks a quart for the mopar stuff, amazon has the redline D6 for 52 bucks a gallon less than half the price of the mopar. at that price difference one could change to redline, run a couple thousand miles and drain and fill again to get most of the old stuff out.

MurderHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are you guys running in the diff and transfer case? I’m putting my 2.9 whipple on this weekend and want to change the engine oil, tranny fluid, diff fluid and transfer case fluid.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What are you guys running in the diff and transfer case? I’m putting my 2.9 whipple on this weekend and want to change the engine oil, tranny fluid, diff fluid and transfer case fluid.

For the 1500

Front Diff Redline 75W90 GL-5 GEAR OIL make sure do NOT get the one with NS in the product line, or amsoil SG same weight they have a bag so you don't need a slippery pete pump.

Back diff same thing but 75W140 GL-5 GEAR OIL again w/o the NS in title, or amsoil SG the same weight.

Look up owners manual there might be a slightly different one for front diff but that is what I use, back diff I'm sure on. Basically we are in the gl5 differential era, so if you want to use something else just make sure it is the gl5 multi purpose gear fluid, this has the additive and that is in all ram specs. The back diff takes the heavier weight.

You have a 2014, so technically you need the unicorn **** for your transfer case, nobody really has that spec except Mopar for the 45. Ask @Hemi395 he has used many options and they actually shift better then the unicorn ****. I think that is for the 2014, do you know which transfer case you have?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

If you have the BW44-44 technically you're supposed to use the Mopar BW44-44 Fluid that is $30/qt. The BW44-45 originally took plain ATF+4 but they have since "revised" the BW44-44 Fluid to Mopar Transfercase Fluid. Same part number.

However in my 2013 I have ran the Mopar fluid, Amsoil MVATF, and Redline C+ in my BW44-44. I have seen 0 difference in the way the clutches engage in 4Auto using any of these fluids. Since Amsoil MVATF and Redline C+ are both way better ATFs and cheaper than the Mopar TCase fluid, I'm going to be running one of these fluids going forward. Most likely Amsoil MVATF because it comes in those great Easy Packs.

If you do have the BW44-44 (with 4Auto), send @Brandon-w a PM...

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
If you have the BW44-44 technically you're supposed to use the Mopar BW44-44 Fluid that is $30/qt. The BW44-45 originally took plain ATF+4 but they have since "revised" the BW44-44 Fluid to Mopar Transfercase Fluid. Same part number.

However in my 2013 I have ran the Mopar fluid, Amsoil MVATF, and Redline C+ in my BW44-44. I have seen 0 difference in the way the clutches engage in 4Auto using any of these fluids. Since Amsoil MVATF and Redline C+ are both way better ATFs and cheaper than the Mopar TCase fluid, I'm going to be running one of these fluids going forward. Most likely Amsoil MVATF because it comes in those great Easy Packs.

I Havnt been getting new message notifications. [emoji849] You can email me at [email protected] if messaging me don't work.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension

I am running Redline C+ ATF in the BW44-44 Transfer Case on my 1500 Longhorn. I went to the Redline site, entered my truck info and ordered all the fluids for the front/rear diffs, TC and Tranny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MurderHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank You for the replies. I was going to put redline D6 in the transmission and transfer case, mobile 1 full synthetic 75/90 in the front diff and 75/140 in the rear. I bought the mopar friction modifier too even though the Mobile 1 fluid has it already. I was going to put it in the rear diff. Here is pictures of what I bought. I got 3 quarts of 75/140 and 2 quarts of 75/90.

BCA47337-8689-40CC-9FA2-21031546801D.png

727D341B-8138-4EEF-B91B-0EC1A1918133.png

405DA3FF-04D6-4AF9-A5C3-2473D392FB99.png

0C945A9F-C8AB-4B67-AFAB-F5951009D492.png

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am running Redline C+ ATF in the BW44-44 Transfer Case on my 1500 Longhorn. I went to the Redline site, entered my truck info and ordered all the fluids for the front/rear diffs, TC and Tranny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

same here, changed out and filled my 44-44 with redline C+, works great. front diff redline 75-85, rear with redline 75-140, the 75-140 says has the additive for the LSD.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thank You for the replies. I was going to put redline D6 in the transmission and transfer case, mobile 1 full synthetic 75/90 in the front diff and 75/140 in the rear. I bought the mopar friction modifier too even though the Mobile 1 fluid has it already. I was going to put it in the rear diff. Here is pictures of what I bought. I got 3 quarts of 75/140 and 2 quarts of 75/90.

View attachment 224467

View attachment 224468

View attachment 224469

View attachment 224470

I believe the redline c+ for the transfer case, d6 for 8 speed, redline c+ for rfe's. So the transfer case wasn't updated to take d6, so you will want the c+ or any atf4. The d6 is specialized very thin fluid that in theory wont shear, as all the specs that require this type of fluid like the zf fluids ask for. I'd get verification, but this is what I believe. I don't have the 8 speed so I havent really looked into it, but this is my guess on the transfer case atf4, maybe someone will chime in.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

View attachment 224467

View attachment 224468

View attachment 224469

View attachment 224470

Mobil One only sells gear fluid WITH additive, that is what the ls means for in title, you should NOT need a bottle of modifier.

This is how it works, please do not add that modifier, too much is very bad and your gears will slip. Keep it on hand, IF you get shudder, then you add only one ounce at a time until shudder is gone.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
44-44 T case can take ATF without a problem up until 2016, then you need the special dodge fluid with friction modifier in it as they changed the clutches. I've been running synthetic ATF in my t case for quite awhyle now with no issues.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
44-44 T case can take ATF without a problem up until 2016, then you need the special dodge fluid with friction modifier in it as they changed the clutches. I've been running synthetic ATF in my t case for quite awhyle now with no issues.

I give it a try in my 2016, so far has been fine though have not used 4wd much but will see how it does if we get a nasty winter this year. don't know why a clutch should be so particular, my Harley has a wet clutch and does not seem to care a bit what flavor of lube I put in it.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I give it a try in my 2016, so far has been fine though have not used 4wd much but will see how it does if we get a nasty winter this year.
Let us know how it goes. Im curious if it's just another dodge gimmick.

MurderHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I wonder if I could just still use the D6 fluid but take the bottle of Mopar FM I bought and put it in my TC. Truck is a 2017.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I wonder if I could just still use the D6 fluid but take the bottle of Mopar FM I bought and put it in my TC. Truck is a 2017.
I'm Honestly not sure there. I mean you could try but it's an expensive experiment if it goes wrong. [emoji51]

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Just no partner, don't do that.

You would be better off using a cheap atf4 gl5 multi purpose gear fluid. That FM may have a purpose someday, just hold on to it and see if you get shudder. Even future gear fluid swaps it may have value. It is something that will ruin any part of too much is used. This is an example for instruction that come with this product, and there is a specific reason why they exist... Just don't want to have some ram forum member mess up his stuff man.

LIMITED-SLIP FRICTION MODIFIER
  • Compatible with both petroleum and synthetic gear oils
  • Reduces break-in temps as much as 50°F
  • Add 1oz at a time to clutch-type limited slip or posi-traction units to eliminate chatter

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You would be better off using a cheap atf4 gl5 multi purpose gear fluid. That FM may have a purpose someday, just hold on to it and see if you get shudder. Even future gear fluid swaps it may have value. It is something that will ruin any part of too much is used. This is an example for instruction that come with this product, and there is a specific reason why they exist... Just don't want to have some ram forum member mess up his stuff man.

• Add 1oz at a time to clutch-type limited slip or posi-traction units to eliminate chatter

And this is exactly why: why not just go get the Mopar stuff?

I know its expensive and I know we probably shouldn't HAVE to. But its not like it gets changed all that often.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I

the redline C+ atf is less than half the cost of the Mopar stuff, on their site redline says is ok for the 44-44.

Last edited:

MurderHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I will order some of the c+. Thank You

Rod Knock

Reaction score

After digging around I have found out that the pre-2016 Mopar unicorn fluid is glorified semi-synthetic Dex III fluid made by Shell, and the 2016+ fluid is Mobilfuid LT (glorified universal tractor and PTO fluid). You did your transfer case a huge favor by going with Red Line C+ ATF. Another good option is Red Line D4 + 4 oz. Lubegard Plat.ATF, Red Line High Temp ATF + Lubegard and AMSOIL MV ATF + Lubegard. Why add Lubegard? For the SYNERGOL and friction modifiers for low-speed clutch engagement, not to mention the antioxidants. I checked with Lubegard and it's mixable with all of the above for the BW44-44 transfer case. They said that so is ATF+ and that it's an excellent choice. Honorable mentions are Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, Castrol Transmax ATF+4, and Valvoline ATF+4, all mixed with Lubegard. I hope this helps someone who's looking for BW44-44 fluid alternatives.

Also, they came up with the +2016 Mopar fluid for the BW44-44 in 2018, so that should tell you all you need to know about the fluid change. Nothing changed with the transfer case, rather they wanted to find a solution for the overheating transfer cases when heavily used in 4x4 mode.