Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Funny Smell ??

Discussion in 'Dodge Ram Eco Diesels' started by FCAEMPLOYEE, Nov 22, 2019.

1. FCAEMPLOYEE

FCAEMPLOYEE Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    Just sold my 5.9 Mega Cab and bought this 2015 Laramie Limited EcoDiesel. I noticed a nasty smell when it was running in the garage and i turned it off. and it was not Diesel exhaust. I looked under the truck and and there was a clearish looking liquid dripping off the muffler. Do you think this was the def system activating and running out instead of burning because i shut it off ??, i didn't see the funny swoosh symbol on the dash ??

2. hodge-xj

hodge-xj Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 cummins
    That's the DEF you smell. Depending on the brand DEF I use some smell like cat piss, other just smell like a urinal, it all depends. It a nasty tho. That fluid is condensation so no need to worry. DEF is like 70% water anyway.

Not sure if you're familiar with the ecodiesel so I don't wanna speak to you as such, but it's surely a different animal than the diesels I was used to. I came from a 5.9 Cummins and this truck has quite a learning curve

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

FCAEMPLOYEE likes this.
  3. LouM

LouM Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab
    Engine:
    eco diesel
    The stench from this exhausts at times could gag a maggot, it is terrible.
    This is the first vehicle that I can't let idle much of the time if I back into a shed to unload something.

FCAEMPLOYEE and hodge-xj like this.
  4. hodge-xj

hodge-xj Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 cummins
    I noticed when I use generic DEF it's worse than if I use Blue def. Its still there, but not as ammonia-y if that makes sense. I find myself driving my beater jeep a lot more now. Especially for short trips.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

5. crash68

crash68 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    Other than a rarely occasional smell of what could be described as a burning wax smell from turning the truck off shortly after or during a regen, I don't have any unusual smells from mine. If your getting smells from the exhaust or water/DEF is pouring out there is most likely a problem.

DEF is dose injected while the truck is running, basically the more fuel your burning the more is injected. DEF has nothing to do with a regen cycle which happens upstream to SCR where the DEF is injected.
    For DEF to meet the ISO 22241-1 compliance, it's all the same. Usually the best place to buy it is from the pumps for semi trucks.

hodge-xj likes this.
  6. hodge-xj

hodge-xj Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 cummins
    When idling this thing smells like cat pee. Always has. Especially when cold. I noticed it more as of recent since I'm laid off and haven't been running the highway much and do a bit shorter trips. I'm serious when I say that the blue def and the autozone shit smells different. Both stink, but they have different odors, which is weird considering I know they are all supposed to be the same. Doesn't bother me, I just stay up wind.

crash68 likes this.
  7. crash68

crash68 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    Learn something new about DEF everyday... which one has the better aroma? LOL! There is a couple of smaller semi truck fuel stations in my area that I fill up DEF at.

8. hodge-xj

hodge-xj Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 cummins
    Blue DEF burns the nostrils less. The cheap stuff smells like a hobo pissed in the exhaust after a night of vodka pints and 40 oz malts. Lol. I haven't used truck stop stuff yet. We have truck stops all over out here, but being on a main east coast thoroughfare, it's always so busy you can't pull into the parking lots let alone get to the pump.

I'm sure my Hot Tune plays into my smell a bit as well, but I'm not exactly keen on huffing tail pipes. My old 5.9 would haze raw fuel when cold that would choke a flock of seagulls so i guess pick your poison.

I take my beater jeep for short trips on cold days anyways, heats up way faster!

crash68 likes this.
  9. FCAEMPLOYEE

FCAEMPLOYEE Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    Thanks guys

10. cop4hire

cop4hire Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    EcoDiesel
    The only bad smell from my truck is when it is in regen and we park it in our garage. It smells like burning rubber to me.