Gen 4 or Gen 5?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My last truck was an 03 2500 CTD. Great truck. Quad cab, 8’ bed, 80’ turning radius.
I’m looking for a late model low miles truck. I like the Rams, won’t be towing more than 7k, not infrequent highway commuts of 110 miles (unloaded).
I want 4wd. will be towing small TT occasionally. Dirt road exploring, not a serious off roader.

Gen 4 or gen 5?
Best options?

Thanks

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My last truck was an 03 2500 CTD. Great truck. Quad cab, 8’ bed, 80’ turning radius.
I’m looking for a late model low miles truck. I like the Rams, won’t be towing more than 7k, not infrequent highway commuts of 110 miles (unloaded).
I want 4wd. will be towing small TT occasionally. Dirt road exploring, not a serious off roader.

Gen 4 or gen 5?
Best options?

Thanks
You looking at 1500's or 2500's? If your considering upgrading to a new 2500 I would go with the newer model to get the 8spd transmission, lot's of complaints about the 6spd auto in the older trucks. If your looking at 1500's the 5th gen is more refined but the 4th gen is the better deal by far and there's much more to chose from in slightly used trucks of the 4th gen variety. Personally I would be leery of any used 5th gens at this stage as the vast majority of used ones were probably traded in due to problems . Rarely do people get rid of one year old trucks for no reason. I bet their are still plenty of very low mileage 2017 and 18's out there for a reasonable price. Hell I only have 29K on my 2017. used 5th gens are probably still commanding top dollar.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Unless you have a need for a considerable amount of payload and your infrequent towing will be 7K lbs, look for Hemi w/3.92 6.4' bed. It will ride considerably better than a comparable 2500 and better fuel economy.
Whether you go Gen4 or Gen5 you can't go wrong either way, the Gen4 will be less expensive and you might be able to get a new '19/'20 Classic edition in your price range.

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I bought a low millage, 2018 Gen 4 Cummins 3 months ago for at least 15k less then what a Gen 5 new would be. If you are willing to buy a tradesman model you can get them off lease, some with very low mileage, for a very good deal. The same goes for Hemi models.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the only real reasons to shop 4th gen are price or because you want a reg cab. I don't think there's anything wrong with 4th gen, like for example if you had to pick between two otherwise identical (equipment, miles, condition, etc) trucks and one was 4th, other 5th.. you probably wouldn't have much to regret about either choice - so strictly in terms of generation I wouldn't let that make up a big part of your choice.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I was lucky, had a choice between a 2018 leftover and a 2019. I picked the 2018. I just liked it better. A little more old school rugged looking and no dial shifter. I know, I know, "but the 8 speed". I'm not that hardcore of a gearhead to care. I prefer the column shifter. Truck is a beast with the 6.4 and 4:11's.

JC5Cents

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have driven both for about 2 months each. Gen 5s ride smoother, more like an SUV but they have some QC issues in my experience. Doors seem to be misaligned on the Gen 5s and one i drove would rub the driver side tire at full lockout. The Gen 4 feels more like a truck and rides more like one. Has a more throaty sound to the exhaust. The interiors of the Gen 4 are a little more basic on the 1500 Big Horn level but the material on the Gen 5 interior doesn't feel any more substantial or of a higher quality IMO.

Rmauch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I checked out both before I bought my gen 4. I’ll admit the cost savings was a big factor

Seth Richards

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l Hemi
You will pay less for 4th gen but 5th gens are very nice if they are in your budget. Take your time to test drive the newer ones and learn about them and see if they fit what you want. And since they still have new 4th gens you can test drive those as well to compare and see which you like better.

Many here on these forums have strong opinions one way or the other so it would be best for you to look at both and see which you prefer.

sirguynate503

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It all depends really, if the still have the classics on sale you get more truck for the money. Then again I hear great things about the 5th gen but I haven't been in one yet.

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
More rear space in 5th gens, I believe 4" longer.

Doesn't seem like much but the last thing in the world my 4th gen needs is an additional 4" in length. Not to mention 5th gens look like a 1st gen Tundra from the side and the front end is questionable. 4th gen all the way!

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Doesn't seem like much but the last thing in the world my 4th gen needs is an additional 4" in length. Not to mention 5th gens look like a 1st gen Tundra from the side and the front end is questionable. 4th gen all the way!

Naples eh....im in Norway. Previous owner of my truck was in bridgton. I bought my truck from MacDonald Motors. I take it you dont have any toddlers? That 4" further back from the front seats is kinda valuable. Having said that, the crew is much more roomy than the quad. I have 2 car seats in my truck right now and soon to be 3. Im happy with my 4th gen but can see how some like the 5th. To me all the new trucks look alike at times or at certain angles. then they kinda look good at other angles. IMO a 4th gen sport is the best looking truck on the road. esp lifted.

OP
OP
R

Reamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the comments. Can’t go (too) wrong with either, I guess.
I wasn’t too clear in my OP. Will be a 1500 Laramie. I kind of like the onger bed 6’ 4” and quad cab but there seem to be way more crew cab/short beds out there.
If the incentives are there I may by a new truck.

I drove a 2019 5th gen the other day. It’s been a while since I’ve driven a 4th gen. I should go do that.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Will be a 1500 Laramie. I kind of like the onger bed 6’ 4” and quad cab but there seem to be way more crew cab/short beds out there.
If the incentives are there I may by a new truck.
There is always the CrewCab w/6.4' bed option also, they're a little harder to find in some locations but we'd be happy to have you join the CC/6.4 club... lol.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Gen 4 or gen 5?
Best options?

I'd say 4 gen, and then you need to decide on rfe or 8 speed, and 100k spark plugs or older hemis with the 30k plugs. You might end up with a 2014 with 100k plugs and an rfe, easier to service. Take out a heat valve on transmissions and update the rfe, you might have the best truck every made, the only downside to this would be the cam issues, absent that debacle with upgrades these mid 4 gens are built to last.

rfe vids.. all you need to know all of this about the rfe those vids, now you need to research the 8 speed and cost to maintain or upgrade. It's not easily serviceable, is a 2 video process just to check the fluid, lol. There have been a decent number of fails, if yours fails how does someone even know if the fluid was low from factory leading to failure? No east way to even check the fluid. If you compare stock 8 speed versus any rfe, I will concede the 8 speed is a better transmission, but if the weaknesses are addressed, I would take an rfe any day versus a transmission that mechanically heats the oil instead of cooling it like most historical tranny's.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I drove a 2019 5th gen the other day. It’s been a while since I’ve driven a 4th gen. I should go do that.

Tons of tech versus old school with minor tech such as mds/vvt. The goals of 5 gens are all to do about gov't goals and not necessarily long term reliability. They heat the diff oil and transmission oil, both operate high temps then 4 gens, this is great for gas mileage, horrible for longevity of those items, pick one. And torque assist stuff, makes my head hurt 5 gens.

it's all good til stuff breaks. link broke, look up e torque.

Last edited:

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Naples eh....im in Norway. Previous owner of my truck was in bridgton. I bought my truck from MacDonald Motors. I take it you dont have any toddlers? That 4" further back from the front seats is kinda valuable. Having said that, the crew is much more roomy than the quad. I have 2 car seats in my truck right now and soon to be 3. Im happy with my 4th gen but can see how some like the 5th. To me all the new trucks look alike at times or at certain angles. then they kinda look good at other angles. IMO a 4th gen sport is the best looking truck on the road. esp lifted.

Yup out here in Naples! No kiddos for me. Quad cab with 6'4' bed is awesome on my express. Rocket ship with 8 speed and 3.92 gears. I'm lifted on bilsteins with 35's and they can't slow this thing down!

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Yup out here in Naples! No kiddos for me. Quad cab with 6'4' bed is awesome on my express. Rocket ship with 8 speed and 3.92 gears. I'm lifted on bilsteins with 35's and they can't slow this thing down!

Nice. That's what my last truck was...16 quad cab express with 392 64 bed. Current truck is a 14 crew cab sport with 8 speed, 321 gears with 4" lift and 35s. Pretty doggy out of the hole. Not too bad tho. But not 392 good.
IMG_20190414_155610.jpg