Grinding noise coming from the engine bay when hard accelerating at 5-6k RPM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I been trying to figure out what is making a grinding noise in the engine bay when I am at 5-6k rpm. It only happens when I accelerate hard and when it is about to shift to the next gear. I looked on Youtube for videos and forums but it seems nobody has the problem I do. Any help would be appreciated.

ctwalton15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a lot of information is missing for an online diagnoses....

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
A video or sound clip might be helpful in diagnosing the problem.
If I had to take a guess it's a change in engine sound when the VVT is changing the valve timing.

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A video or sound clip might be helpful in diagnosing the problem.
If I had to take a guess it's a change in engine sound when the VVT is changing the valve timing.
It’s my first Hemi, so maybe that’s just part of it?

Last edited:

ctwalton15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s my first Hemi, so maybe that’s just part of it?

I mean it sounds pretty similar to my 09 when I get high into RPM's I don't necessarily hear anything wrong it just sounds like a wide open 5.7l. Maybe i'll see if I can snap a video of mine shortly when I leave work. Yours sounds completely normal to me maybe slightly louder then mine but it could just be simply the phone microphone making it sound louder.

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I heard the sound when it was about to shift at the end, but the video cut off..

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@SugaryClapz is the exhaust stock or has it been replaced? If so what on the truck?

I know @Wild one may have ran a Hemi under hard acceleration once or twice, maybe he'll chime in.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
@SugaryClapz is the exhaust stock or has it been replaced? If so what on the truck?

I know @Wild one may have ran a Hemi under hard acceleration once or twice, maybe he'll chime in.
I'm not even sure what he's talking about,as his video's leave alot to be desired.Maybe if he ran it up through a couple gears it'd be easier to hear what he's referring to.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As mentioned above, a good, free and easy test would be to look at the motor mounts. At least determine if there seems to be a problem there or not:

1) Open truck hood, Start truck, look at top of engine between hood and lower windshield

2) Hold foot firmly on the brake pedal, put truck into D (keep an eye on engine).

3) Give the accelerator some 'gas' (foot still firm on brake), and see if the engine rocks more than, say, and inch.

4) Then try the same test but this time putting the transmission in Reverse.

5) Keep foot firmly on brake pedal. Don't let the truck lurch or move. Make sure no people are around truck.

If a motor mount is 'bad' or 'failed' an engine will generally lift UP quite a ways.

You also might be hearing nasty harmonics brought on by air rushing through the air tube on it's way to the engine. Are you running a cold air kit or non stock air system?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Callie
Ram Cares

Justthebutler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Never heard that before, but I do get a nice whistle when I hammer down. Could the noise you hear be the switch from Eco to Giddyup?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Could be a waterpump, alternator, AC compressor pulley or tensioner bearing is going bad. Pop the serpentine belt off and spin everything. Also driveshaft u joints, axle cv joints could be the problem although they typically cause a vibration.

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As mentioned above, a good, free and easy test would be to look at the motor mounts. At least determine if there seems to be a problem there or not:

1) Open truck hood, Start truck, look at top of engine between hood and lower windshield

2) Hold foot firmly on the brake pedal, put truck into D (keep an eye on engine).

3) Give the accelerator some 'gas' (foot still firm on brake), and see if the engine rocks more than, say, and inch.

4) Then try the same test but this time putting the transmission in Reverse.

5) Keep foot firmly on brake pedal. Don't let the truck lurch or move. Make sure no people are around truck.

If a motor mount is 'bad' or 'failed' an engine will generally lift UP quite a ways.

You also might be hearing nasty harmonics brought on by air rushing through the air tube on it's way to the engine. Are you running a cold air kit or non stock air system?
I am running S&B Dry filter cold air intake, I did the test and the engine does not move.

1SLwLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Is the dipstick full?