Headlights suddenly go out without warning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crosscreek22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had LED headlights installed and now headlights ( low beam only) will go out whether or not the the headlight switch is on auto or the on position. Any ideas what this could be? Truck is a 2015 Ram Big Horn.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There is something with the '15 model year that makes them more particular about the lighting. I bet the headlights work fine when the ignition is on without engine running.
Aside from using "C̶a̶n̶v̶a̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶d̶" "CANbus ready" LEDs, you might have to use AlfaOBD to change the headlight type to LED. Another thing to try would be using resistors.

Last edited:

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is something with the '15 model year that makes them more particular about the lighting. I bet the headlights work fine when the ignition is on without engine running.
Aside from using "Canvas read" LEDs, you might have to use AlfaOBD to change the headlight type to LED. Another thing to try would be using resistors.
Canbus?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had LED headlights installed and now headlights ( low beam only) will go out whether or not the the headlight switch is on auto or the on position. Any ideas what this could be? Truck is a 2015 Ram Big Horn.

The success rate widely varies across the many models of LED lights available for our trucks.

As mentioned, some manufacturers lights require external resistors or adjustments with AlfaOBD.

As part of my selection process, I chose LED lighting based on the many successful reports that I had read about here on Ram Forum and my model year.

I have no experience with the above lighting and have only read the claims in the above link.

I like the "Canvas read" LEDs, @crash68. :cool:

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
dam spell check..lol
yes CANbus

@RamDiver I'm blaming spell check.
There is something with '15 model year trucks, there are some parts that are year specific.

LOL. Whenever I post with the phone and it's crazy autocorrect, I try to reread my post at least 3 times. :cool:

The link I posted was for a member with a '15 2500. Did all the 2015 trucks have a problem converting to LED?

I'm curious about the '15 model year trucks. Do they also have different options for light housing types and do you know if one is more problematic than the other?

I've learned that my Warlock has 3 potential light housing styles. Now, I have an extra set of Fahren H11 LED bulbs.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm curious about the '15 model year trucks. Do they also have different options for light housing types and do you know if one is more problematic than the other?

I've learned that my Warlock has 3 potential light housing styles. Now, I have an extra set of Fahren H11 LED bulbs.
I think Warlock only came with Projector housings, in Chrome or Black.
The other light housings available for the Gen4 trucks were the Duals and Quads. I think it was '13 when the standard headlight was the Quad. Projector headlights '15 and earlier used 9012 in the lows, for '16 the projectors used 9005 in both High and Low. Nothing special was available for the '15 MY lighting wise.
None of the Gen4 forward white lighting was LED or HID. The turns, running and tails on the projectors are LED, everything else was incandescent.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You answered your own question.

You modified your vehicle with non-OEM electrical parts and are now having a problem.

The simple solution is to return to the original setup.

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
had same issue with my truck when I went hids before I switched to LED but still same problem I am sure. I went into the the truck with alpha OBD and there is a setting for headlights change that setting to hid/LED never had an issue after that

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
dam spell check..lol
yes CANbus

@RamDiver I'm blaming spell check.
There is something with '15 model year trucks, there are some parts that are year specific.
"spell check" yer friend, roflmao. I hate it EVEN more on I Phone. Sometimes, I just turn dat junkola off.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aside from using "C̶a̶n̶v̶a̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶d̶" "CANbus ready" LEDs, you might have to use AlfaOBD to change the headlight type to LED. Another thing to try would be using resistors.
Aside from canvas read I agree with this. I was installing a wireless backup cam so I tapped into reverse lamps so that camera came on in reverse. Worked with key turned on, but as soon as I started my truck wouldn't work. Took me a while to figure out,but when truck is running it doesn't supply a clean 12v to lights which was necessary for the camera. I ended up tapping reverse from trailer harness which is a constant 12v when active. I've had zero issues with LEDs (led fog, lows, reverse, cargo and all interior),but I did look for ones that were supposed to be canbus friendly. Now I have alfaobd so shouldn't be a problem even if they aren't canbus friendly.

pscarbor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2006, 2009
Engine
5.9, 5.7 Hemi, 5.7 Hemi
LED headlights will mess up your TIPM. You can get it rebuilt for about $200 if it isn't fried too much. A replacement is around $1500 for a rebuilt one.

BigTex13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
In my 2015 I tried the Morimoto assemblies with the Can-bus resistors and the headlights would randomly turn off while driving and a couple times wouldn't turn back on. I did not use AlphaOBD. I returned the lights and now I'm running GTR Ultra 2.0 with the GTR anti-flicjer harness and the lights stay on without using AlphaOBD.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
LED headlights will mess up your TIPM. You can get it rebuilt for about $200 if it isn't fried too much. A replacement is around $1500 for a rebuilt one.
Hmm... I guess the tipm in my last Ram missed the memo on that....

It won't damage the TIPM because you're not introducing more load to that circuit. You're actually introducing about 60-80% less load on that particular circuit. The only downfall has already been discussed. Your canbus system (think computer) may not recognize certain LEDs and will be expecting more resistance from the circuit than the LED provides. To solve that you either choose a canbus friendly light or install resistors.

pscarbor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2006, 2009
Engine
5.9, 5.7 Hemi, 5.7 Hemi
Hmm... I guess the tipm in my last Ram missed the memo on that....

It won't damage the TIPM because you're not introducing more load to that circuit. You're actually introducing about 60-80% less load on that particular circuit. The only downfall has already been discussed. Your canbus system (think computer) may not recognize certain LEDs and will be expecting more resistance from the circuit than the LED provides. To solve that you either choose a canbus friendly light or install resistors.
I bought a 2006 Ram 1500 5.7 two years ago. Headlights only worked on high beam. One of the first things i did was replace both headlight assembly's; same issue. After a couple of weeks working on it I called the previous owner; he 'fessed up that he'd tried to put led headlights on and that was when everything quit working.

I sent the TIPM off and got it rebuilt, headlights started working again. TIPM issues when "upgrading" to led headlights are a well known issue with Dodges. "Load" isn't the only problem; the circuit boards in the TIPM control the headlights totally - no fuses or relays. Dodge TIPMs are very sensitive and easy to fry.

pscarbor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2006, 2009
Engine
5.9, 5.7 Hemi, 5.7 Hemi
Really? How so? Quite a few people run them with no issues.
LED headlights frying the TIPM is a well known Dodge issue. If yours quit working when you put the LEDs in try putting the originals back. If the originals work, you don't have a TIPM issue, but if they don't you've got a TIPM problem.

There's an outfit in California you can send it off to and get it fixed (if possible). They fixed mine for $195.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 2006 Ram 1500 5.7 two years ago. Headlights only worked on high beam. One of the first things i did was replace both headlight assembly's; same issue. After a couple of weeks working on it I called the previous owner; he 'fessed up that he'd tried to put led headlights on and that was when everything quit working.

I sent the TIPM off and got it rebuilt, headlights started working again. TIPM issues when "upgrading" to led headlights are a well known issue with Dodges. "Load" isn't the only problem; the circuit boards in the TIPM control the headlights totally - no fuses or relays. Dodge TIPMs are very sensitive and easy to fry.

You will have to do better than that dude.

There are many users besides me who have successfully installed aftermarket LED headlights.

And where did you get the idea about no fuses or relays?

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will have to do better than that dude.

There are many users besides me who have successfully installed aftermarket LED headlights.

And where did you get the idea about no fuses or relays?

Agree, 4th and 5th gens are designed for both halogen and led which is why we can easily switch with alfaobd now. I never even set mine for led and have zero issues even with upgrades EVIC which is known to be more sensitive to led bulb out errors.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

I'd call that a coincidence... I'd bet my paycheck that LED lights absolutely didn't fry the TIPM. :)

Now... the previous owner could have wired something else up or tried to rewire the headlights and potentially fried something else.. that's much more likely.