High speed vibration even after new tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Bought a 2014 sport 4x4 used and it had a vibration but figured it was just the tires and i wanted to replace them anyways. But after getting new michlin defender tires put on and fight with discount tire they are saying its its something with the suspension and i think i agree with them but not sure where to start

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Were they road force balanced or just spun on an older machine. It makes a huge difference having a load on the tire. My stock sport wheels and new tires on the regular machine called for a total of 1.25 oz to balance, once it was on the road force machine it took 4.75! They are smooth as glass up to 80mph. If its a high speed 60+mph it a bad balance. If its low speed its out of round wheel/tire

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have aftermarket rockstar wheels and they were roadforce balanced

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have aftermarket rockstar wheels and they were roadforce balanced

Are they hub centric wheels or do you have hub centric rings installed if not??? That could be the reason behind the vibration....

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Are they hub centric wheels or do you have hub centric rings installed if not??? That could be the reason behind the vibration....
They are bub centric wheels

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
I had a similar issue, found a shop to re balance mine lug centric. They turned out perfect. Also, make sure the old weights are removed before rebalancing. Crappy shops will leave the weights on and simply counter balance.. This fools the machine to zero out but the wheels end up vibrating at high speed.. It took me taking it to three different shops till the last one sorted me out.. it sucked

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It seems like when they balance them they are better but within a day or two they get worse again

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What size wheels

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
20"

One thing to watch out for is throwing weights. Count how many weight you have when they balance it. You might be able to take it back and say hey these are out of balance again wtf.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I had a similar issue with my drivers front brake caliper not fully releasing and causing what I thought to be wheel vibration. Don’t want to send you down a rabbit hole but I swore the tire slid a belt or the wheel weights fell off. The issue finally got worse and I was able to diagnose it. Hopefully it’s something simple for you

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I took it to another shop and they test drove it and said its for sure a tire balancing issue so they cleaned the wheels, took all weights off and rebalanced them but there is no change. Discount tire says they will replace all 4 tires if i want but im not 100% sure its the tires and i would hate to have them do it and it not change anything either

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took it to another shop and they test drove it and said its for sure a tire balancing issue so they cleaned the wheels, took all weights off and rebalanced them but there is no change. Discount tire says they will replace all 4 tires if i want but im not 100% sure its the tires and i would hate to have them do it and it not change anything either

If you didn't have any issues before you got the new tires I would thing you are pretty safe saying its definitely with the tires themselves. If the offer is there, take it.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
It seems like when they balance them they are better but within a day or two they get worse again

I find this to be particularly interesting. I might have missed it, but I didn't see a description of how the vibration behaves or where you're feeling it. It would also be interesting to see what would happen if you had about 300# of something you could put at the tail of the bed. When the vibration gets worse again, it would be a good time to check the torque on the lug nuts, too. But getting back to the "worse again" part of it, a small error in toe-in can do that, hence the weight in the tail of the bed. It might be the case that the truck needs just a little more toe-in, regardless of what instruments say.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you get a wheel alignment when you got the new tires?

Were your old tires cupped or worn on the edges when you took them off?

You could also have a bent rim. It will balance OK but it will always vibrate and many shops don't check and make sure the wheel is running true.

If it was truly a balancing issue it would normally only vibrate a certain speeds. The others listed above will vibrate always.

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you get a wheel alignment when you got the new tires?

Were your old tires cupped or worn on the edges when you took them off?

You could also have a bent rim. It will balance OK but it will always vibrate and many shops don't check and make sure the wheel is running true.

If it was truly a balancing issue it would normally only vibrate a certain speeds. The others listed above will vibrate always.
I had the truck aligned a few months ago. The old tires had a small vibration and they said it was due to cupping which made sense because they were a 305 tire on a 9" wheel. They were also old and starting to crack. Thats why i bought new tires and at first i know the vibration was worse than before now they have it alot better but not good enough. Even the shop manager agrees there is a vibration but he thinks its the truck not the tires.

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Both shops that have balanced the tires checked for a bent rim and said they are all fine