How To Add Heated/Ventelated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rroche1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
If your just pulling the seats to gain access then I never do. I unplug my seats all the time when I need to move them out of the way. If you are going to be doing wiring or anything that could involve accidentally shorting any wiring then I always disconnect the battery.

Swapping the regular seats to the AC seats, just unplugging and plugging the new seats in
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should be fine.

bleyvajr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have not installed switch under 8.4 Radio. Have not received yet. Will I be able once seats are hooked up to turn on with 8.4? Also no steering wheel yet. Or does steering wheel have to be hooked up before heat or cooled function works?

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have not installed switch under 8.4 Radio. Have not received yet. Will I be able once seats are hooked up to turn on with 8.4? Also no steering wheel yet. Or does steering wheel have to be hooked up before heat or cooled function works?
Heated seats will work without the heated wheel installed. I am thinking the seats may turn on Via the radio without the switch panel installed as long as you have all the codes enabled but I have no first hand knowledge of it.

bleyvajr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heated seats will work without the heated wheel installed. I am thinking the seats may turn on Via the radio without the switch panel installed as long as you have all the codes enabled but I have no first hand knowledge of it.

Thx Rick. I will try To see if I can get them to work without switch.

bleyvajr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do all the wires that come from the passenger side pin 1-5 yellow connector as said in page 1 go to same color wire to drivers gray plug.. doesn’t look like gray connector has anything in pin 2. But the colors are all there.. any help is appreciated

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do all the wires that come from the passenger side pin 1-5 yellow connector as said in page 1 go to same color wire to drivers gray plug.. doesn’t look like gray connector has anything in pin 2. But the colors are all there.. any help is appreciated
Pin#2 should be populated with a TN/WT wire. It is for the left rear heated seat temp sense. You don't necessarily need it if you aren't running a rear heated seat. The other TN/WT wire should be in pin#19 this one you will need. The pins that are essential for your front heated/vented seats and heated wheel to work in the gray connector are #3 TN/DB #5 BR/LG #6 LG/BR #10 GY/LB #12 WT/DB #13 WT #15 LG/VT #19 TN/WT. This is a picture of the minimum amount of wiring needed. 431212d3ce89ac201a27faf396370c39.jpg

bleyvajr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pin#2 should be populated with a TN/WT wire. It is for the left rear heated seat temp sense. You don't necessarily need it if you aren't running a rear heated seat. The other TN/WT wire should be in pin#19 this one you will need. The pins that are essential for your front heated/vented seats and heated wheel to work in the gray connector are #3 TN/DB #5 BR/LG #6 LG/BR #10 GY/LB #12 WT/DB #13 WT #15 LG/VT #19 TN/WT. This is a picture of the minimum amount of wiring needed. 431212d3ce89ac201a27faf396370c39.jpg

Sorry to keep asking.. I briefly tried to get it to work last night but nothing stays on.. I don’t have the switch yet.. so when I turn on with 8.4.. it stays on for 5 seconds then shuts off.. I don’t here anything turn on in seats.. so basically I’m thinking my pins are not correct. I know for a fact that the passenger yellow wire is accurate. But the gray plug is the one I’m thinking is the issue.. I know relay is hooked up and power is going to both p/y wires on driver yellow plug.. so match wires from passenger yellow 1-5 to same color drivers gray plug? Just double checking troubleshoot.. also I rechecked and all Alfa sections programmed for heated vented seats.. thx Rick in advance

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to keep asking.. I briefly tried to get it to work last night but nothing stays on.. I don’t have the switch yet.. so when I turn on with 8.4.. it stays on for 5 seconds then shuts off.. I don’t here anything turn on in seats.. so basically I’m thinking my pins are not correct. I know for a fact that the passenger yellow wire is accurate. But the gray plug is the one I’m thinking is the issue.. I know relay is hooked up and power is going to both p/y wires on driver yellow plug.. so match wires from passenger yellow 1-5 to same color drivers gray plug? Just double checking troubleshoot.. also I rechecked and all Alfa sections programmed for heated vented seats.. thx Rick in advance
Was your truck wired from the factory? If so and it's a 13 to an 18 and you are using seats from a 13 or an 18 it's wired correctly. They don't make a harness that's wired differently. You either have the wiring or you don't. Did you compare your grey connector to the one in the picture I sent you? If a wire happens to be pinned to let's say #3 in your pas side yellow plug doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be pinned to #3 in your gray connector. Look at the pin# locations for the gray plug I posted earlier and look at the picture I included. If they match you are fine. You can also post a picture of your gray seat connector and I can tell you for sure if you are ok. I am thinking they aren't working because you don't have the correct switch panel installed. I reccomend waiting until you get your switch panel before you jump to conclusions. These trucks are finicky and if it's missing a part of the system it wants to see it's going to shut itself off. Remember the 13 trucks take a different switch panel so if your truck is a 14 or newer you need to make sure the switch panel is for a 14 or newer.

bleyvajr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was your truck wired from the factory? If so and it's a 13 to an 18 and you are using seats from a 13 or an 18 it's wired correctly. They don't make a harness that's wired differently. You either have the wiring or you don't. Did you compare your grey connector to the one in the picture I sent you? If a wire happens to be pinned to let's say #3 in your pas side yellow plug doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be pinned to #3 in your gray connector. Look at the pin# locations for the gray plug I posted earlier and look at the picture I included. If they match you are fine. You can also post a picture of your gray seat connector and I can tell you for sure if you are ok. I am thinking they aren't working because you don't have the correct switch panel installed. I reccomend waiting until you get your switch panel before you jump to conclusions. These trucks are finicky and if it's missing a part of the system it wants to see it's going to shut itself off. Remember the 13 trucks take a different switch panel so if your truck is a 14 or newer you need to make sure the switch panel is for a 14 or newer.

D33D78CB-EB1C-4C3B-8793-D8DA07A2C7CE.jpeg

6D253E89-A3EF-42F5-842B-492F8B2DB5B2.jpeg

bleyvajr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so I received my seat switch panel today. I need help I can’t seem to get it to work. Installed switch added codes all for heat and cooled.. checked wires. All is good. Power from relay is good. IHS wires good. I can’t figure out what I did wrong. Let me start by saying it’s a 2015 Ram 2500 Tradesmen. I did full 8.4 conversion about 2 years ago. All 8.4 runs great. AC 7speed. I just can’t figure out why I can’t get them to turn on. With 8.4 soft keys the soft key turns on about 5 sec Then off. With panel I can’t get nothing to light up for the seats, tow haul and other buttons work. Any help appreciated

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's not a great picture and it's the seat side. Im not sure what you are seeing that makes you feel you have a problem with the wiring but all of the wires I can see on that connector are correct. I'm sure you are fine but if you send a picture of your truck side wiring I can take a look at it too and tell you 100% if it's correct.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so I received my seat switch panel today. I need help I can’t seem to get it to work. Installed switch added codes all for heat and cooled.. checked wires. All is good. Power from relay is good. IHS wires good. I can’t figure out what I did wrong. Let me start by saying it’s a 2015 Ram 2500 Tradesmen. I did full 8.4 conversion about 2 years ago. All 8.4 runs great. AC 7speed. I just can’t figure out why I can’t get them to turn on. With 8.4 soft keys the soft key turns on about 5 sec Then off. With panel I can’t get nothing to light up for the seats, tow haul and other buttons work. Any help appreciated
Did you install a heated seat harness? Can you send me a pic of your trucks harness. If your truck is a Tradesman it will not come with the correct wiring from the factory unless it's a regular cab.That is why I was asking if your truck had the wiring I sent the picture of.

Last edited:

bleyvajr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you install a heated seat harness? Can you send me a pic of your trucks harness. If your truck is a Tradesman it will not come with the correct wiring from the factory unless it's a regular cab.That is why I was asking if your truck had the wiring I sent the picture of.

Rick I tapped into the seat harness.. all wires are correct from the pics you showed.. I can’t get ihs to communicate to hsm. Could I be tapping into wrong ihs? I tapped at obd. White to white and wh/dB to gray. Also I am getting seat harness from Deere guy but was told he’s a month out. Seats are out of a 2014 Laramie.. tested power getting 12 volts to both p/y wires. Only thing I didn’t do was add ground to blk wire in yellow connector..any thoughts?

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rick I tapped into the seat harness.. all wires are correct from the pics you showed.. I can’t get ihs to communicate to hsm. Could I be tapping into wrong ihs? I tapped at obd. White to white and wh/dB to gray. Also I am getting seat harness from Deere guy but was told he’s a month out. Seats are out of a 2014 Laramie.. tested power getting 12 volts to both p/y wires. Only thing I didn’t do was add ground to blk wire in yellow connector..any thoughts?
If you connected it the way you have said it should communicate. On the OBD connector Gray is IHS+ and White is IHS-. In the Gray seat connector WT/DB is IHS+ and WT is IHS-. You can tap into the CAN system in several places but it should work. One of your actual CAN connect locations is behind your drivers side kick panel.This is where Deer Guys harness connects. I think I have some pigtails with the correct connectors that will actually connect directly to the CAN block. I would reccomend double checking your connection and if you still can't get it to work PM me your address if you want and I will send you a connector to attach directly to the CAN block. Not sure if it will make a difference but you can give it a shot. My truck had no problems connecting at the OBD port and I know others connected there with no issues before Deer Guy started making the harnesses but you never know. How exactly are you tapping into the the gray seat connector? Are you sure it's a good connection? I also highly recommend getting a heated seat harness from Deer Guy when they become a available. They are pretty much fool proof and look factory.

rroche1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Can anybody tell me what this plug is for? I don't have it on my original seat. This is a picture from my Laramie donor seats.

15597642623707910543150430953174.jpg

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can anybody tell me what this plug is for? I don't have it on my original seat. This is a picture from my Laramie donor seats.

View attachment 168724
For some reason I am unable to see pictures on TapTalk all the sudden. If it's a 20 pin gray plug that looks like the one in this picture and you don't have the corresponding connector in your truck side harness you do not have the correct wiring for power/heated vented seats. 0f916b1bdace72bc13927f340586d3b0.jpg

rroche1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
For some reason I am unable to see pictures on TapTalk all the sudden. If it's a 20 pin gray plug that looks like the one in this picture and you don't have the corresponding connector in your truck side harness you do not have the correct wiring for power/heated vented seats. 0f916b1bdace72bc13927f340586d3b0.jpg

I have both yellow and grey connectors

No I have that one. It's a smaller grey plug with only green wires