How To Add Heated/Ventelated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What about the 8.4 is needed to make them function properly? I had the little infotainment originally, had an aftermarket headunit put in and converted from the manual hvac. Perhaps I forgot to activate some codes for the single zone atc.

I should get the switch this week, and will install and see what happact.

I only saw 2 codes. B163a and b16b7, both are caused by my headlight (another problem, another day).
So you do not have the factory 8.4 radio?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
So you do not have the factory 8.4 radio?

Rick....I just read that as well. If he has an aftermarket radio and no switch panel, how was he attempting to turn on the seat heat and ventilation? I did not know aftermarket radios can be programmed to do that.

Joe B

U.S. Navy Chief
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.4L
Rick....I just read that as well. If he has an aftermarket radio and no switch panel, how was he attempting to turn on the seat heat and ventilation? I did not know aftermarket radios can be programmed to do that.

No, I dont.

I didnt know mine could either. I activated the CSM for it and went to climate and the controls were there. I was rather surprised.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, I dont.

I didnt know mine could either. I activated the CSM for it and went to climate and the controls were there. I was rather surprised.
In that case I would definitely try the switch panel to see if it helps. I assumed you had the factory 8.4. These seats are finicky about how they communicate to the radio and that may be your problem. The switch panel may help. As far as the seat adjustment not working it has nothing to do with the radio.

Joe B

U.S. Navy Chief
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.4L
Hmm. Okay. I'll keep reading through this thread and see if I can come up with anything.

Here's a shot I took of my headunit. Kenwood dnx574s.

20191128_174019.jpg

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm. Okay. I'll keep reading through this thread and see if I can come up with anything.

Here's a shot I took of my headunit. Kenwood dnx574s.

View attachment 187482
You can tell the the BCM did tell the radio the codes were added but there are only two temp settings with the heated and vented seats and not three as shown on the radio so it would seem the radio is not configured correctly. I have seen mixed results with aftermarket decks with certain functions within the truck with the radio communicating with the CAN system. Installing the switch panel is the next logical step to try to see if the heated/vented seats function. When you said the controls were on the screen I assumed you had the factory 8.4. The fact that you have an aftermarket deck could definitely explain why you cannot activate the heat and vent through the radio. The vented seats will not work with any of the factory radios except the RA3 8.4 or the RA4 8.4 radios. Hopefully they will work through your aftermarket unit.

Joe B

U.S. Navy Chief
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.4L
You can tell the the BCM did tell the radio the codes were added but there are only two temp settings with the heated and vented seats and not three as shown on the radio so it would seem the radio is not configured correctly. I have seen mixed results with aftermarket decks with certain functions within the truck with the radio communicating with the CAN system. Installing the switch panel is the next logical step to try to see if the heated/vented seats function. When you said the controls were on the screen I assumed you had the factory 8.4. The fact that you have an aftermarket deck could definitely explain why you cannot activate the heat and vent through the radio. The vented seats will not work with any of the factory radios except the RA3 8.4 or the RA4 8.4 radios. Hopefully they will work through your aftermarket unit.

Thabks for that. Hopefully they work. When I get the switch installed, I'll update this.

sawz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally found a set of good condition 2015 Laramie heated/cooled seats for a reasonable price ($950). Waiting on shipping now. Hope to have them installed soon!

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally found a set of good condition 2015 Laramie heated/cooled seats for a reasonable price ($950). Waiting on shipping now. Hope to have them installed soon!
You're going to love them. They are definitely an upgrade over the base seats.

sawz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I definitely want to get the memory function working on my new seats. I see that I need to pin wires from the Yellow connector 2,5,6 and 13 to the door body connector and the CAN IHS connector. Wanted to make sure I have the pinout correct.

Yellow Seat connector pin 2 goes to door connector pin 10 and yellow seat connector pin 13 goes to door connector pin 3.
2 - 10
13 - 3
Yellow seat connector pins 5 and 6 go to IHS CAN connector pins 1 and 2 respectively.
5 - 1
6 - 2

I'm having a hard time figuring out what pins I need for the yellow connector and the IHS CAN connector. The door connector pins I have left over from the push to start / proximity entry mod I performed earlier this year.

If someone can help me with these 2 things it would be appreciated.

IHS CAN connector pins part number?
Yellow Drivers Seat connector pins part number?

Thanks,
Pete

Joe B

U.S. Navy Chief
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.4L
I definitely want to get the memory function working on my new seats. I see that I need to pin wires from the Yellow connector 2,5,6 and 13 to the door body connector and the CAN IHS connector. Wanted to make sure I have the pinout correct.

Yellow Seat connector pin 2 goes to door connector pin 10 and yellow seat connector pin 13 goes to door connector pin 3.
2 - 10
13 - 3
Yellow seat connector pins 5 and 6 go to IHS CAN connector pins 1 and 2 respectively.
5 - 1
6 - 2

I'm having a hard time figuring out what pins I need for the yellow connector and the IHS CAN connector. The door connector pins I have left over from the push to start / proximity entry mod I performed earlier this year.

If someone can help me with these 2 things it would be appreciated.

IHS CAN connector pins part number?
Yellow Drivers Seat connector pins part number?

Thanks,
Pete

Pete,

I'm just as confused on the memory wiring. I've pinned 5 and 6 on the yellow plug and from what I found, these is the c4 connector based on the wiring diagrams I've seen.

Screenshot_20191129-125854_Chrome.jpg

Which connect to this guy20191129_122221.jpg

I'm not sure how much it matters the connectors go in the slots designated by the wiring diagram. I'm also not sure if that is the correct component to be connecting to, but in the almost 80 pages I've gone through, I havent been able to find a solid answer yet.

Hopefully Rick or someone else can shed some light.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Pete,

I'm just as confused on the memory wiring. I've pinned 5 and 6 on the yellow plug and from what I found, these is the c4 connector based on the wiring diagrams I've seen.

View attachment 187528

Which connect to this guyView attachment 187529

I'm not sure how much it matters the connectors go in the slots designated by the wiring diagram. I'm also not sure if that is the correct component to be connecting to, but in the almost 80 pages I've gone through, I havent been able to find a solid answer yet.

Joe....I recently did this as well. Wires 5 and 6 go to the Canbus. The canbus connector is on the far left behind the kick panel, the one right behind your parking brake. You have to remove the lower kick pane land you will see a long green connector. You use ANY 2 open ports.

Joe B

U.S. Navy Chief
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.4L
Joe....I recently did this as well. Wires 5 and 6 go to the Canbus. The canbus connector is on the far left behind the kick panel, the one right behind your parking brake. You have to remove the lower kick pane land you will see a long green connector. You use ANY 2 open ports.

Ahhhhhh. Thanks!

Joe B

U.S. Navy Chief
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.4L
Ahhhhhh. Thanks!

That worked. I was able to connect to the MSM. I also tested power into the wiring. There is a green/white wire at the switch which illuminates the test light a little. I also held the horizontal position forward and ran a system I'd to see if it registered that was active. It did not. I also ran a fault check and got B221C "general memory present" not sure what it means.

All this culminates to probably needing a new switch?

Screenshot_20191129-143757_AlfaOBD.jpg

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
That worked. I was able to connect to the MSM. I also tested power into the wiring. There is a green/white wire at the switch which illuminates the test light a little. I also held the horizontal position forward and ran a system I'd to see if it registered that was active. It did not. I also ran a fault check and got B221C "general memory present" not sure what it means.

All this culminates to probably needing a new switch?

View attachment 187537

Joe......when RicksRam comes on the board again you might ask him if the memory mirrors are needed to complete the memory setup. When I went through all of this I also added the memory mirrors. I am not sure how, or if, memory will work without the mirrors. Rick would know for sure. I assume you made all the changes needed n the BCM already for the memory?

Joe B

U.S. Navy Chief
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.4L
Joe......when RicksRam comes on the board again you might ask him if the memory mirrors are needed to complete the memory setup. When I went through all of this I also added the memory mirrors. I am not sure how, or if, memory will work without the mirrors. Rick would know for sure. I assume you made all the changes needed n the BCM already for the memory?

Sure did. I'm really okay without the memory, just trying to figure out the power seat issue.

sawz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pete,

View attachment 187528

Which connect to this guyView attachment 187529

Joe, do you have the pin numbers for the yellow plug? Thanks for the explanation on the C4 connector.

Pete

sawz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7

So we just plug in the C4 plug to any open slot on the canbus green connector behind the driver's kick panel?

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
So we just plug in the C4 plug to any open slot on the canbus green connector behind the driver's kick panel?

Yes.....this is exactly what I did. Ran 2 wires from the yellow connector under the driver's seat (wires 5 and 6) to the canbus behind the parking brake kick panel. I believe JoeB (posting above) already did this after reading my post and it worked for him too.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes.....this is exactly what I did. Ran 2 wires from the yellow connector under the driver's seat (wires 5 and 6) to the canbus behind the parking brake kick panel. I believe JoeB (posting above) already did this after reading my post and it worked for him too.
You don't need the memory mirrors for the seat memory function to work The actual memory functions will not work by just installing the two wires from the 5 and #6 pin yellow seat connector to the CAN but you will be able to access the memory seat module at that point because it is then connected to the CAN system. In order for the memory to function you will still need to add two more wires from the #2 pin VT/YL and #13 pin VT/BR from the yellow drivers seat connector to the drivers side door harness that will then connect to the drivers door module. I don't remember what the pin#s are that you pin too in the door connector but all you need to do is connect to the pins that have the VT/YL wire and the VT/BR wire on the corresponding connector. This is a pic of my drivers side door connector when I was pinning the two wires from the #2 and #13 drivers side yellow seat connector and my memory recall functions normally. My memory seat, mirrors,radio and climate control functions perfectly and automatically adjust when it senses my or my wife's fob or I can push the button on the seat.6f1b79fe802c33288fa4e3b2a0b6f23d.jpg8c519c7fff46c19e25c9d32876bc0e0a.jpg4e26c91a8d92fa9e35d3c003cdd64f4a.jpg

Last edited: