How to add remote start to 2017 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
True...but someone will do that, be working in their engine compartment and have the fob in their pocket and accidentally bump the start button twice in 5 seconds...

Darwin Award.

As someone previously suggested if you don’t have a hood switch put a toggle switch under the dash to interrupt the sensor input to the BCM as a maintenance safety switch.

One other upside to adding the hood latch with the integral switch is it can be included in the VTA (Vehicle Theft Alarm) settings as an input.

I was in the bed loading tires and managed to accidentally start it, so I could see it happening when I was under the truck or the hood.

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
(2020 Ram 1500 Classic Tradesman, Quad Cab 3.6L gas, tip start).

I did not have the harness to the hood latch area.

1. Ordered correct hood latch w/switch: 68159725AB Hood Latch $34.58

2. Ordered wiring kit w/mating connector and wires - this allows you to make up wiring from the hood latch to the plug beneath the PCM but I just used the mating connector and wires and made up my own harness to the underhood ground lug and direct to the BCM C1 connector: 68065018AA Wiring-2 Way $27.85

3. Nothing installed in BCM C1 pin 11 (Hood Sensor for my particular truck); ordered the correct BCM socket(s):
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/kostal/32124734123000-l/?qs=W0yvOO0ixfFjDQ0rJ%2bHBUw==&countrycode=US&currencycode=USD
32124734123000-L
KOSTAL Automotive Connectors
I ordered a few (at $.60 each) and practiced a bit to make sure I had the right crimp tool & technique.

4. Key fobs examined; mine had 3-button overlays (Panic-Unlock-Lock) but have ALL the contact points on the circuit board. Ordered new overlays from Amazon for 4 function to include Remote Start - KAWIHEN Keyless Entry Remote Key Fob Skin Replacement for Chrysler Town AND Country Dodge Durango Grand Caravan Journey Ram 1500 2500 3500 Jeep Grand Cherokee GQ4-53T M3N5WY783X IYZ-C01C
by KAWIHEN
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0859BM3Y8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_QWoEFbC2PHM9N 2 for $10.

5. Programmed the BCM to let it know the switch was there and tested switch state with AlfaOBD.

6. Enabled the rest of the parameters using AlfaOBD and then reset the RF Hub using my PIN.

Works great!! Total spent in materials for this project about $80; already had the miscellaneous wire, wire loom, ring lug for ground, heatshrink, etc.

Big thanks to Jimmy07 for calling out the correct BCM terminal and 1500ram12 for the Alfa walkthru.

NOTE: If you think you have everything right and attempt to Remote Start...and then your truck locks itself and honks but does not start:
1. Recheck your wiring.

2. Verify your programming. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xQvdHVTgRwKQRKSBh1K2rkCqg5dlpSi0

3. Look (using AlfaOBD) and check the logs and examine Last remote start event; if it says something about Remote Start Inhibited you may have tried to start it before everything was wired and programmed correctly.

Look for a section like this:

Remote Start Enable Data:
Ignition Status: RUN Position
Remote Start Mode: Off Inhibit
Off Inhibit: Yes
RKE Messages Received: No
Any Door Ajar: No
Key in Ignition: Yes
Brake Pressed: No
Hazard Lamps On: No
Remote Start Enabled: No
Remote Start Programmed: Yes
Auto Transmission: No
Hood Switch Programmed: Yes
Start Counter: 0
Failed Counter: 0
Remote Start Inhibit Cause 1:
Inhibit Reason: Not enabled

If everything looks right and the hood switch is working and readable then go back into programming with Alfa and look at Active Diagnostics (this is where you usually select Car Configuration Change).

Don’t select that...look for Remote Start Temporary Disable ...you have two choices...Enabled or Disabled.

Oddly enough the parameter name and the choices are inconsistent...Remote Start Temporary Disable, set to Enable, allows it to start.

Go figure... [emoji849][emoji2959]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/i]
THANK YOU !!
Can't tell you how many threads I've been reading to find this info. As others said, it just got to the point too afraid to try with all the mish-mash of tangled info so thank you for putting it all in one concise post !

Still haven't tried it but have all the pieces. Still not sure about the AlfaOBD software steps yet

Matt Franklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My question on this install, and I may have missed this answer somewhere up the thread, so apologies if that's true...

Does installing this hardware and adding the appropriate options in AlphaOBD mean that the defrost will come on with temp all the way up and the heated mirrors will kick on when it's cold out? Will the A/C come on MAX/Recirc with the temp turned all the way down when it's hot outside? Or, will I need to leave the HVAC in the appropriate settings when I get out of the truck?

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
My last truck came back where you left it. So if I forgot to set it to defrost I'd be scrapping ice

rangemaster728

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
My 2020 has manual climate controls. If I know it’s gonna be a cold morning the next day I just crank everything up and set it in the correct position.

I remote start it, and a few minutes later everything‘s nice, warm, toasty and defrosted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My question on this install, and I may have missed this answer somewhere up the thread, so apologies if that's true...

Does installing this hardware and adding the appropriate options in AlphaOBD mean that the defrost will come on with temp all the way up and the heated mirrors will kick on when it's cold out? Will the A/C come on MAX/Recirc with the temp turned all the way down when it's hot outside? Or, will I need to leave the HVAC in the appropriate settings when I get out of the truck?
If you have the manual system which is the Non ATC system your settings will stay wherever you left them when you remote start your truck and your mirror heat should turn on automatically if its °40 or less. If you have the ATC Automatic Temperature Control from the factory or you have upgraded your truck from MTC to ATC you can do it two ways. You can leave it in manual mode and it will work exactly the same as a Non ATC truck and go to whatever it was set to when you shut off the truck. The second option is to set your HVAC controls to Auto abd it will automatically detect whatever mode it feels is best for the temperature and humidity. It detects and adjust itself accordingly. Your mirror heat will still turn on automatically if it's °40 or less as will your heated seats and heated wheel if equipped. Your vented seats will turn on automatically if it's °80 or higher if equipped. For the heated/vented seats and heated wheel to turn on automatically you need to enable the options on your screen in the customer settings menu. The mirrors should do it automatically whether or not the other settings are enabled.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Matt Franklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have the manual system which is the Non ATC system your settings will stay wherever you left them when you remote start your truck and your mirror heat should turn on automatically if its °40 or less. If you have the ATC Automatic Temperature Control from the factory or you have upgraded your truck from MTC to ATC you can do it two ways. You can leave it in manual mode and it will work exactly the same as a Non ATC truck and go to whatever it was set to when you shut off the truck. The second option is to set your HVAC controls to Auto abd it will automatically detect whatever mode it feels is best for the temperature and humidity. It detects and adjust itself accordingly. Your mirror heat will still turn on automatically if it's °40 or less as will your heated seats and heated wheel if equipped. Your vented seats will turn on automatically if it's °80 or higher if equipped. For the heated/vented seats and heated wheel to turn on automatically you need to enable the options on your screen in the customer settings menu. The mirrors should do it automatically whether or not the other settings are enabled.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
Good information. Thanks.

Darkreinky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just did my 19 classic 1500. I bought the full kit, but in my case I didn’t need to. After already ordering the kit I went exploring. Found the plug. Looked under fuse box and verified the wires went into and out of the socket. They did. Went under the dash and found that I had both colors going into the plug on bcm. I was like crap. I bought too much stuff. Lol. Anyway. Got the kit, installed the latch. Enabled everything in Alfa.
Hood latch input present-yes
Hood adjar switch usuage to 500 parallel and 500 series. I verified with ohm meter the resistance when latch was closed vs open so I’d know which option to pick. Enabled remote start by selecting remote start present -yes.
Reset hub with Alfa and pin. I did rob the fob skins from the new fobs in the kit. All works perfect.

Now you may ask what I did with the harness.. I have an in-law with a 17 ram and I sold it to her for 25 bucks. She bought a latch and fob skins from amazon. I’ve installed it all for her but don’t know if it will work yet. She has the v6 and she didn’t get the rfhub pin for me to complete setup. In her case her wires didn’t go any farther than the socket under the fuse box. Once she gets the pin is there any reason it wouldn’t/couldn’t work for the v6?

Matt Franklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did my 19 classic 1500. I bought the full kit, but in my case I didn’t need to. After already ordering the kit I went exploring. Found the plug. Looked under fuse box and verified the wires went into and out of the socket. They did. Went under the dash and found that I had both colors going into the plug on bcm. I was like crap. I bought too much stuff. Lol. Anyway. Got the kit, installed the latch. Enabled everything in Alfa.
Hood latch input present-yes
Hood adjar switch usuage to 500 parallel and 500 series. I verified with ohm meter the resistance when latch was closed vs open so I’d know which option to pick. Enabled remote start by selecting remote start present -yes.
Reset hub with Alfa and pin. I did rob the fob skins from the new fobs in the kit. All works perfect.

Now you may ask what I did with the harness.. I have an in-law with a 17 ram and I sold it to her for 25 bucks. She bought a latch and fob skins from amazon. I’ve installed it all for her but don’t know if it will work yet. She has the v6 and she didn’t get the rfhub pin for me to complete setup. In her case her wires didn’t go any farther than the socket under the fuse box. Once she gets the pin is there any reason it wouldn’t/couldn’t work for the v6?
I’m curious what trim level your truck is? SLT? Big Horn? Wondering if that has anything to do with whether the wiring is in place/ runs all the way to the BCM C1 connector.

SeanLewis10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Alright, so I'm having some issues and maybe y'all can help me out. I grounded Pin 11 on the BCM, followed the instructions to enable remote start using AlfaOBD, and when I remote the key from the truck, the hazard lights flash on and off for a few minutes, then they eventually stop. On top of that, I have quite a few code popping up.

B2335 - Horn Control Circuit Short (makes sense because the horn won't work when I lock the truck)
B181E - Hood Ajar Input Circuit Open (currently have the 1k resistor setting in place)
B1707 - Left Reverse Lamp Control Circuit
B170B - Right Reverse Lamp Control Circuit
B2316 - Mirror Passenger Vertical Feedback Potentiometer Circuit Failure
B2312 - Mirror Passenger Horizontal Feedback Potentiometer Circuit Failure

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Alright, so I'm having some issues and maybe y'all can help me out. I grounded Pin 11 on the BCM, followed the instructions to enable remote start using AlfaOBD, and when I remote the key from the truck, the hazard lights flash on and off for a few minutes, then they eventually stop. On top of that, I have quite a few code popping up.

B2335 - Horn Control Circuit Short (makes sense because the horn won't work when I lock the truck)
B181E - Hood Ajar Input Circuit Open (currently have the 1k resistor setting in place)
B1707 - Left Reverse Lamp Control Circuit
B170B - Right Reverse Lamp Control Circuit
B2316 - Mirror Passenger Vertical Feedback Potentiometer Circuit Failure
B2312 - Mirror Passenger Horizontal Feedback Potentiometer Circuit Failure

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Clear any codes. Take it for a quick drive. Give it a couple of minutes and try the remote start. If it doesn't work, double check your ground, Change the hood adjar setting and go for a drive again.

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250

SeanLewis10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Clear any codes. Take it for a quick drive. Give it a couple of minutes and try the remote start. If it doesn't work, double check your ground, Change the hood adjar setting and go for a drive again.

Crisis averted....I had Pin 23 grounded instead of 11....swapped the wires out and buttoned everything back up. Lights no longer flash and all of my codes are clear. I tried the remote start. Door locks, lights flash, horn honks, but no start. Ill give it another 15 min or so, try again, and if that doesn't work I'll see if I can find a better grounding point.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Crisis averted....I had Pin 23 grounded instead of 11....swapped the wires out and buttoned everything back up. Lights no longer flash and all of my codes are clear. I tried the remote start. Door locks, lights flash, horn honks, but no start. Ill give it another 15 min or so, try again, and if that doesn't work I'll see if I can find a better grounding point.

The truck needs to see a couple of key cycles. I was pulling my hair out when I did mine. I programmed everything half a dozen times triple checked wiring and all I'd get is lights flash and doors lock. Let it sit for 36 hour's and nothing. Ran to the store and back then decided to give it a try and it worked.

SeanLewis10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
The truck needs to see a couple of key cycles. I was pulling my hair out when I did mine. I programmed everything half a dozen times triple checked wiring and all I'd get is lights flash and doors lock. Let it sit for 36 hour's and nothing. Ran to the store and back then decided to give it a try and it worked.

The resistor setting needed to be 500. Changed that, reset the RF Hub and bingo, remote start.

rolloffman504

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500 SLT
Engine
Okay guys, I’ve read this post front to back and decided to go take a look under the fuse box in my 2015 1500 SLT. I have wires coming out the one side but not the other ( I don’t see the purple with blue tracer) . I also did not find the plug under the rad support for the latch. So I would need the new latch, plug repair kit, and run a wire from the BCM to the connector correct ?. Or would you just put the wire in the BCM and ground it? . What would you guys do, TIA

7CBC9A58-EAE7-416C-BD22-F660BDB9177D.jpeg

431349DB-6327-4B81-8C3A-1DE09ECB40F4.jpeg

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
So...it appears that what we thought was “common knowledge” all along, that the pre-2017 RF Hubs need to be swapped for ones capable of remote start, is not actually the case. Could all 2013+ RF Hubs be capable of remote start...
What about your 2015 fob, did it already have the button on the circuit board, requiring only a button pad swap?
That hub does not have an external antenna provision either...how is the range on the remote start?

I know this goes back to July but has anyone else actually got this to work on a 13-16 without changing to the new hub? I already have the "eBay Doug" 3XL remote start but to be honest, factory would be nice too.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Thanks Jimmy. Looks like I have to try this out at some point.