How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Just be aware that a pin changed on the 13-17 console lid connector from B+ 12v constant to Panel Lighting on the 18+ Lids and may need addressed to prevent the battery draining. See post 5.

M² Mods.

fireonice02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome thank you! I have an 18 2500 just wanted the rebels leather lid instead of the ****** rubber one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigMAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
good people I think I am now going to drop my XM subscription. I just tried to transfer it from my old radio to my new UAQ but was told by Sirrus that the new radio does not support XM-traffic. They cant say why just that it dont.
You people here know a lot more than they do, can anyone answer. With AA I really do not need XM but I like the Traffic.

48PowerWagon

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I
good people I think I am now going to drop my XM subscription. I just tried to transfer it from my old radio to my new UAQ but was told by Sirrus that the new radio does not support XM-traffic. They cant say why just that it dont.
You people here know a lot more than they do, can anyone answer. With AA I really do not need XM but I like the Traffic.
Is it a CA (Canadian) Radio?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
If the PN is 68331631Ax. It's definitely capable of xm traffic/TravelLink (if you have a different one, it may not support it) ... There's a setting in AlfaOBD to enable TravelLink. So it shows up once paid for.

M² Mods.

bohrman44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
Still on the hunt for a UAS or UAQ....found a couple in some salvage yards, but they were already sold or had bad screens :(

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Still on the hunt for a UAS or UAQ....found a couple in some salvage yards, but they were already sold or had bad screens :(
Bad screens could be a bargaining chip in your favor. A new screen can be purchase for $100-$200.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

BigMAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Guys and Gals I just have a quick question. It might be covered already but I am new here and I searched and did not find an answer.
I recently joined and found excellent info and guide here to update the 8.4 radio in my 2014 RAM Laramie. I purchased an UAQ off eBay and installed it as soon as I received it. Everything was working fine. I ordered the 4C retrofit harness from Infortainment because I have heated seats and steering wheel. All went well. Without changing the 2014 USB hub in the console I tried Android Auto. Lo and behold! it worked with out a hitch. My software version was then 18.14.0. Thinking that I was behind the times in software versions I quickly updated to 22.6.0 (which I found here) with the intention that I would be seeing the UAQ in all its glory. Boy was I disappointed. Since that update I have not seen AA again and now my USB HUB is dead (the SD card still works).
Further research here and it seems everywhere else, indicates that I need to change my hub and would need a new wiring harness for the new hub. Ordered the harness from M2 Mods (Thank you guys so much, it shipped quickly). The hub seem to be out of stock or back-ordered (I went with the double one for RAM) everywhere I looked. Still waiting for it. But here is my question:
Almost all the YouTube videos that I have seen about AA/CP on the UAQ shows the AA/CP icons on the radio grayed out until you make a connection. Since 22.6 I do not have any icons showing. Is this normal? Anyone else with UAS/UAQ with 22.6 version missing AA/CP and have the feature still working? Was that something "upgraded" in 22.6 from 18.14. I am asking because I was not sure my upgrade went through well. I followed the instructions but was told that the radio would reboot and do the update. That never happened. Radio went off and never came back on until I turned it on. And now I cannot flash again. Can anyone help me quiet my fears? When the hub arrive will I have AA/CP even with no icon in the Uconnect apps screen? Please help

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Get the hub and adapter installed and it should show up once connected. (Phone icon will change to AA)

You would have likely been better off on v18.14 (or 19.9 if we ever find a copy). Voice prompts Will likely be stuck at level 15 and can be a bit annoying. Should be okay otherwise. (Can't roll back)

M² Mods.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Guys and Gals I just have a quick question. It might be covered already but I am new here and I searched and did not find an answer.
I recently joined and found excellent info and guide here to update the 8.4 radio in my 2014 RAM Laramie. I purchased an UAQ off eBay and installed it as soon as I received it. Everything was working fine. I ordered the 4C retrofit harness from Infortainment because I have heated seats and steering wheel. All went well. Without changing the 2014 USB hub in the console I tried Android Auto. Lo and behold! it worked with out a hitch. My software version was then 18.14.0. Thinking that I was behind the times in software versions I quickly updated to 22.6.0 (which I found here) with the intention that I would be seeing the UAQ in all its glory. Boy was I disappointed. Since that update I have not seen AA again and now my USB HUB is dead (the SD card still works).
Further research here and it seems everywhere else, indicates that I need to change my hub and would need a new wiring harness for the new hub. Ordered the harness from M2 Mods (Thank you guys so much, it shipped quickly). The hub seem to be out of stock or back-ordered (I went with the double one for RAM) everywhere I looked. Still waiting for it. But here is my question:
Almost all the YouTube videos that I have seen about AA/CP on the UAQ shows the AA/CP icons on the radio grayed out until you make a connection. Since 22.6 I do not have any icons showing. Is this normal? Anyone else with UAS/UAQ with 22.6 version missing AA/CP and have the feature still working? Was that something "upgraded" in 22.6 from 18.14. I am asking because I was not sure my upgrade went through well. I followed the instructions but was told that the radio would reboot and do the update. That never happened. Radio went off and never came back on until I turned it on. And now I cannot flash again. Can anyone help me quiet my fears? When the hub arrive will I have AA/CP even with no icon in the Uconnect apps screen? Please help
Get the hub and adapter installed and it should show up once connected. (Phone icon will change to AA)

You would have likely been better off on v18.14 (or 19.9 if we ever find a copy). Voice prompts Will likely be stuck at level 15 and can be a bit annoying. Should be okay otherwise. (Can't roll back)

M² Mods.
^^^This...to be clear, I haven't seen the older way where it's grayed out but in 22.6 the behavior you describe is normal. When nothing is connected it will be the default phone icon, then when you connect via Bluetooth it will show your signal bars and finally when AA or CP are available via USB it will show one of those icons (instead of the two aforementioned).

Last edited:

BigMAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you both for the quick reply. YOU have given me some hope. another question though, this is one regarding the double media hub (which I ordered). there are 2 USB connection at the back, 1 gray and 1 black. Do I need to hook both up for the 2 USB ports to work or will the gray connect drive both? Was wondering if the black one might be an output I could use to put another usb somewhere closer on the dash instead of only able to connect in the console.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thank you both for the quick reply. YOU have given me some hope. another question though, this is one regarding the double media hub (which I ordered). there are 2 USB connection at the back, 1 gray and 1 black. Do I need to hook both up for the 2 USB ports to work or will the gray connect drive both? Was wondering if the black one might be an output I could use to put another usb somewhere closer on the dash instead of only able to connect in the console.
Gray will drive both. Both will be inputs but you could run a USB extension from one of the USB ports to elsewhere.

I think @Mpgrimm2 told me the black plug is an input for an additional port for the backseat (maybe?)...

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Gray will drive both. Both will be inputs but you could run a USB extension from one of the USB ports to elsewhere.

I think @Mpgrimm2 told me the black plug is an input for an additional port for the backseat (maybe?)...

Didn't work.... From another post...

Edit 2: Attempt at 2018 Compass style 2nd row USB Hub. See post 1065 and 1069

M² Mods.

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I have a UAQ in my 16' G56 and as most of you know due to others posts the backup camera does not automatically come on when you shift into reverse. You can touch the backup camera or cargo camera soft key at any time and enable the camera and it works just fine with the exception that it says at the top right of either camera "Camera system unavailable" and it will not automatically engage the camera. My truck came factory with the RA3 and I swapped the UAQ out of my previous truck that had the automatic when I sold the truck. I still have the RA3 but, I would hate to lose the Android auto and Carplay but I really don't know what to do. I know you can only get AA & Carplay on the UAS/UAQ but aside from losing navigation on the RA3 and the AA is the only other difference the RA3 won't have HD radio? Ik I can add the navigation to the RA3 but would I be better off trading for an RA4? What does everyone recommend? I use the navigation on my UAQ all the time. I wish there was a way to get the camera system on the UAQs to work correctly with the manual transmission.

16' CCSB 4X4 G56 2500 6.7 SLT CTT tuning, UAQ, Single Zone ATC

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So I have a UAQ in my 16' G56 and as most of you know due to others posts the backup camera does not automatically come on when you shift into reverse. You can touch the backup camera or cargo camera soft key at any time and enable the camera and it works just fine with the exception that it says at the top right of either camera "Camera system unavailable" and it will not automatically engage the camera. My truck came factory with the RA3 and I swapped the UAQ out of my previous truck that had the automatic when I sold the truck. I still have the RA3 but, I would hate to lose the Android auto and Carplay but I really don't know what to do. I know you can only get AA & Carplay on the UAS/UAQ but aside from losing navigation on the RA3 and the AA is the only other difference the RA3 won't have HD radio? Ik I can add the navigation to the RA3 but would I be better off trading for an RA4? What does everyone recommend? I use the navigation on my UAQ all the time. I wish there was a way to get the camera system on the UAQs to work correctly with the manual transmission.

16' CCSB 4X4 G56 2500 6.7 SLT CTT tuning, UAQ, Single Zone ATC
If you've decided to go back, don't put NAV on an RA3, just get an RA4 instead. It's the better value in my opinion.