How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gagesmith19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes but these are on backorder for at least a month , Here is the link

They are not factory equipped in 2017 hence why fitment is not shown. No other parts are required, Yes plug and play.

- Benny
I am so sorry for all the questions, but I did find this one on ebay and offered the guy $600 and he countered with $700. Obviously, I would like to use AllMoparParts for everything, but with this being $700 cheaper it is hard to turn down. I just wanted to make sure this particular model would work in my truck. It seems like it would after I detached it from the dash. I will be purchasing the media hub from AllMoparParts.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am so sorry for all the questions, but I did find this one on ebay and offered the guy $600 and he countered with $700. Obviously, I would like to use AllMoparParts for everything, but with this being $700 cheaper it is hard to turn down. I just wanted to make sure this particular model would work in my truck. It seems like it would after I detached it from the dash. I will be purchasing the media hub from AllMoparParts.

That is not a UAQ radio in that listing. That is a UAM radio for the 2019+ 5th gen rams, and won’t work correctly if used in a 2013-2018 ram 1500 DS.

gagesmith19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is not a UAQ radio in that listing. That is a UAM radio for the 2019+ 5th gen rams, and won’t work correctly if used in a 2013-2018 ram 1500 DS.
Thank you for letting me know! How were you able to determine that? Just so I know. Since the listing headline says UAQ.

Ryno1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Thank you for letting me know! How were you able to determine that? Just so I know. Since the listing headline says UAQ.
It’s the complete display and bezel out of the new body style, visually completely different. These are two separate units, the display is one, and the radio is located elsewhere.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Because that is a center stack out of a 5th gen, and the 5th gen uses different radios.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It’s the complete display and bezel out of the new body style, visually completely different. These are two separate units, the display is one, and the radio is located elsewhere.
That one listed is not the 2 piece UAV that you are referring to. It is a UAM, and is once piece, pretty much identical to the UAS or UAQ, except different manufacturer.

Ryno1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
That one listed is not the 2 piece UAV that you are referring to. It is a UAM, and is once piece, pretty much identical to the UAS or UAQ, except different manufacturer.
Ahhh, I should have looked at the listing. Replying while stuck in traffic.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Thank you Benny! I really appreciate the help! Just two more questions if you don’t mind helping out:

1) Do you have a link to the UAS radio that doesn’t have nav but has carplay and will fit in my 2017?
2) When I put in my vehicle info (2017 Ram 1500 Limited) it says the part does not fit my truck. I don’t need any other kind of bracket or anything for this do I? It is just plug and play basically?

View attachment 478644
Sent u a message

Brads41789

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So I noticed on the ram website today that the 2022 classics are available for build... And I got down to the radio portion and saw that they are offering the Uconnect 5 (with wireless AA and CP)... Very curious to find out if they are a plug and play swap to the current 4C setups. This is going to be very interesting and I will be doing as much research into it as I can. Maybe someone else already knows something I do not, figured I'd post it here just in case

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I noticed on the ram website today that the 2022 classics are available for build... And I got down to the radio portion and saw that they are offering the Uconnect 5 (with wireless AA and CP)... Very curious to find out if they are a plug and play swap to the current 4C setups. This is going to be very interesting and I will be doing as much research into it as I can. Maybe someone else already knows something I do not, figured I'd post it here just in case
They will need an adapter harness for the main radio connector, and a different usb cable that links the radio to the media hub.

Brads41789

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
They will need an adapter harness for the main radio connector, and a different usb cable that links the radio to the media hub.

That would be for the new style ram radio. The classic body style parts have been same fit, minimal wiring, so I'll definitely be curious to see how much wiring (if any) these new classic 5 series radios require. I have a 2020 model 4C from a classic currently, and the usb hub to go with it.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That would be for the new style ram radio. The classic body style parts have been same fit, minimal wiring, so I'll definitely be curious to see how much wiring (if any) these new classic 5 series radios require. I have a 2020 model 4C from a classic currently, and the usb hub to go with it.
The 2022 Ram 1500 DS classic that comes with UC5 will have the exact same two main wiring connectors and USB connector as the UC5 radios used on the other Rams and Stellantis vehicles. The two main connectors will need to be adapted to the single main radio connector that is used for UC4. The USB cable that links the radio to the media hub will need to be swapped out.

murphy_eric

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
New to this and have no clue if I’m even posting in the right place.

I recently bought and installed an 8.4 in my 2018 ram 2500, part no. 68331631AI. I purchased the infotainment bezel/harness that retained my 4 speed fan. Im having two issues:

Apple car play won’t work, even though I have the dual usb hub in my jump seat and the volume knob on the infotainment bezel doesn’t work.

Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks in advance.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Maybe Infotainment can help you since you purchased their products. Have you tried their technical support line?

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v39.6 successful install. Alot of issues fixed over the 39.5v. Contacts, bluetooth, messages, grid lines and even android auto performs better.

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
Ok guys, I have a weird issue here.

2013 Ram 2500 Laramie G56

It came factory with 8.4 Uconnect with Navigation and dual zone. I recently upgraded to a UAQ radio thanks to Deereguy hooking me with up with one.

When I initially fired the truck up the climate works no issues at all. After it sits for a while and the backup cam and SXM enable is where my HVAC starts giving me issues. It only displays on Hi or Low. No temp in between. If I pull a battery cable it will start working again until it sits a little while. I recently discovered that changing my units to metric makes it work just fine. But then I’m in KM and what not. I did the temp module to 2018 version upgrade and that changed nothing. Any thoughts? @ManualCummins suggested a software update to 22.6 which I will be doing next. I’m on 19.9 right now.
Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same exact issues in my 2013 2500.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

I recently bought and installed an 8.4 in my 2018 ram 2500, part no. 68331631AI. I purchased the infotainment bezel/harness that retained my 4 speed fan. Im having two issues:

Apple car play won’t work, even though I have the dual usb hub in my jump seat and the volume knob on the infotainment bezel doesn’t work.

Did you try the other ports to see if a software update switched them? Read that had happened in the past. Also, make sure you are using only a Apple cord as some aftermarket don't carry enough data. Maybe try replacing cord, I have found them to be fickle to the point I just switched cords from truck to inside charger and back to working. Other than this, not sure of what else to try other than Infotainment support. Good luck.

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
just want to throw it out there, if anyone is doing uaq upgrades, or messing with media hubs.
Since it seems difficult to get a harness, ya gotta take things in yer own hands

I have a 2013 ram 2500, just upgraded to uaq and was looking for a cheap hub and found this one, 68397098AE, a whopping 42 bux (as low as $31) for this hub upgrade. it's for the new rams, but managed to get it in my 13 center console with no modification. it just fits on the backside on the hole, without coming thru,

i decased the back case. used the power from the "cigarette lighter usb" port in the center console for the hub and the usb from the radio, some 3m tape to hold it in place, some heat shrink tube to the wires ensure they don't slip off, BOOM done!

I will never use the aux port, so no need to make a harness and not even using the harness from the old media hub at all..again don't need it because i'm not going to use the aux port.
just need to get the hub to power up.

this can be done for any media hub if you aren't going to use the aux port.

Now i have 4 usb ports, 2 regular, 2 usb C, all work as well as android auto and carplay.

I am going to assume this might work with all the radios, not just the uaq

hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• 20211207_165137.jpg
    20211207_165137.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 20211207_165149.jpg
    20211207_165149.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20211207_165301.jpg
    20211207_165301.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 49

Ramit2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Most likely the USB hub on the carplay issue. Even though it looks identical, there are two different versions offered in 18 & 19. One doesn't support carplay and was used in the base model trucks. The other thing to check is to make sure that the "smart phone mirroring" is enabled in the apps section of the radio.

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
I'm completely giving up on this little venture....the HVAC it doesnt work properly. Period. (2013 2500 laramie with dual zone ATC)

I've gone thru all the fuse pulling, module swappin, alfaobd reprogramming etc..

no matter what I do, I cannot get my dual zone ATC to operate properly after the SXM and backup cam comes back...while in that in between state , it works fine...once the radio gets it's programming, it's whacked, my options are, HI-LO, thats it...

unless anyone has any other ideas, i've already pulled it an listed the dang thing on ebay.

Last edited: