How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cvillechopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Found another. PN 68472642af. Searching online it looks like it is usually with a Chrysler 300/ Challenger/ Charger. This one of those that people have tried and failed to get to work?

Is there a single place with the model numbers that have been proven to work all listed together? Would be awesome to pull the part numbers and models they came out of...

*Edit*
Nevermind. Found the 68461699AC unit. Trying to work out a deal. I know I'll need to find a hub (going into my 2015 Laramie) but haven't seen where to buy the adapter. Also, with this thread being 375 pages, is there any distilled version of things to look out for (order of connections, software updating, etc)? I will probably make a thread of what I have to do to get it to work but wouldn't want to duplicate something that is already out there and also want to make sure I don't brick the unit. Thanks for any guidance.

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Pics below but I just looked and they posted additional pics. It's not an 8.4. Much smaller screen so no use to me anyway. Thanks anyway. Still trying to find one locally with no luck. Seems there are a few folks that are able to scoop them up and are making a business out of reselling. Good for them, more costly for the rest of us. Such is life.
Stay away from the Aptiv/Delphi radios. They don't fully work in 4th gen trucks.

bretthays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently upgraded from the 5" to 8.4 with navigation in my 2016 Ram, it's one of the Panasonic 4C models. I purchased the 2022 map update from Chrysler just now. (I know most consider it a waste of money, and yes I can use Waze, etc. but I like the turn by turn in the cluster... shoot me). To order the map update I just needed the application version from the radio. But when I looked at the installation guide, in order to finish the map update it's going to make me put in a VIN#. I have no idea what the donor VIN was. I read somewhere that the dealer can update my build sheet to reflect the new radio? Anyone been through that process? Is there anyway I can get that done without the dealer involvement?

MapActivationCodeInstructions.png

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I recently upgraded from the 5" to 8.4 with navigation in my 2016 Ram, it's one of the Panasonic 4C models. I purchased the 2022 map update from Chrysler just now. (I know most consider it a waste of money, and yes I can use Waze, etc. but I like the turn by turn in the cluster... shoot me). To order the map update I just needed the application version from the radio. But when I looked at the installation guide, in order to finish the map update it's going to make me put in a VIN#. I have no idea what the donor VIN was. I read somewhere that the dealer can update my build sheet to reflect the new radio? Anyone been through that process? Is there anyway I can get that done without the dealer involvement?

View attachment 512736
I have been told by my others (with Prior prior ra4s like @Ricks Ram) that you use the vin of the vehicle it's currently installed in for map updates.
(Donor vin needed for radio SW update files)

bretthays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been told by my others (with Prior prior ra4s like @Ricks Ram) that you use the vin of the vehicle it's currently installed in for map updates.
(Donor vin needed for radio SW update files)
Well from reading the installation guide it sounds as though you get one or two usb drives with SW updates and then another with the map updates.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So I'm a little confused @Mpgrimm2 about the map update @bretthays wants to do to a 4C radio. I see the update purchased is listed as VP4reactiate. I thought all the the 4C updates were only available OTA. Did something change, I'm at v19 whatever and I'm good with that but new maps would be nice.

bretthays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

cvillechopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have tried searching but can't find a thread that shows how to build the adapter harness. anyone posted the details yet (connectors part numbers, pin out map, etc)?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I have tried searching but can't find a thread that shows how to build the adapter harness. anyone posted the details yet (connectors part numbers, pin out map, etc)?
It's not posted. I have a few ready. Message me if interested.

cvillechopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got my new unit installed and working. Only thing that isn't working is the backup camera. I have the factory in my 2015. Noticed it's a maroon connection. On the back of the new radio there is a maroon as well as a red connection which wasn't on my original head unit. The red is where the maroon connection is on the old unit. Do you need to plug the maroon connection into the red one on the new unit by chance?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I got my new unit installed and working. Only thing that isn't working is the backup camera. I have the factory in my 2015. Noticed it's a maroon connection. On the back of the new radio there is a maroon as well as a red connection which wasn't on my original head unit. The red is where the maroon connection is on the old unit. Do you need to plug the maroon connection into the red one on the new unit by chance?
The fakra antenna connectors on the back have nothing to do with your factory 2015 trucks analog camera system.

* Panasonic 4c Radio is not reset/configured until SXM button displays again and/or Backup Cam works if installed *

cvillechopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How long or how many cycles should it take for the radio to config? It's a 68461699AC radio. Was told it is new. Still had the screen protector on it and didn't require an unlock code so could be true.
Also, how can I tell what SW version it has on it? When I go into settings/ system information all that is available is Software License and it just gives some legal stuff from panasonic. No version info.

jugernot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
How long or how many cycles should it take for the radio to config? It's a 68461699AC radio. Was told it is new. Still had the screen protector on it and didn't require an unlock code so could be true.
Also, how can I tell what SW version it has on it? When I go into settings/ system information all that is available is Software License and it just gives some legal stuff from panasonic. No version info.
Start vehicle and press driver up / down temp controls and front defrost. Hold all buttons for 5-10 seconds... Dealer menu will come up with version info listed.

cvillechopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Awesome. Thanks. Everything must have finished loading last night because it's all working now. Looks like I have SW Version 22.34.11. I've written to Chrysler but figure folks here probably have a more accurate answer. How do I get the SW updates? Their site requires a VIN but mine would be associated with the old head unit. Really appreciate all the help.

Attachments

• IMG_20230209_070514355_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230209_070514355_HDR~2.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 19

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Awesome. Thanks. Everything must have finished loading last night because it's all working now. Looks like I have SW Version 22.34.11. I've written to Chrysler but figure folks here probably have a more accurate answer. How do I get the SW updates? Their site requires a VIN but mine would be associated with the old head unit. Really appreciate all the help.

The Panasonic radios go by the application version...

You're on v40.1.0 which is the newest version I've seen yet (v39.9.x was latest until yours)

RainZeros

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got in all the connectors I need for a second KEYED media hub with illumination

Once I have time to get all the wiring done and get a second media hub to test, I'll post the links to all connectors used, which hub I used and wiring guide to make your own.

The second hub will go in the center cubby area, like in the fifth gens, underneath the phone holder to allow for a tiny USB cable used for Android auto/apple car play.

Also this will bring support for the option to make the other USB hub keyed only as well provided you spend the time adding the pins to the other harness.
20230217_180306.jpg20230217_180359.jpg

raceghost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Eco Diesel
Does anyone have a good write up or pictures on the 40/20/40 Jump seat tear down. Gonna do a custom media hub, and possibly if it goes wrong, will order the 2018+ tray and get the 2018 Ram Hub. Just need pictures on how to get the tub out that the media hub clips into. Thanks in advance,

Update: Thanks M2Grimm, Mike I found your YouTube Video on it. Anyone else --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq44VqM9Ipw

Last edited:

Tuggle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock & 2015 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got my cables and HVAC controls from @Mpgrimm2 . They look like they came with the truck. Great quality and everything is working great now. Highly recommend getting what you need from him. Was a great help and very responsive to questions. Got the USB Hub mounted with a 3D printed mount in my truck. Then got one with Ram in white. May change it out so can see the Ram logo better.

Attachments

• USB Mounted.jpg
    USB Mounted.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Color USB Mount.jpg
    Color USB Mount.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 32

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Got my cables and HVAC controls from @Mpgrimm2 . They look like they came with the truck. Great quality and everything is working great now. Highly recommend getting what you need from him. Was a great help and very responsive to questions. Got the USB Hub mounted with a 3D printed mount in my truck. Then got one with Ram in white. May change it out so can see the Ram logo better.
Looks good. I'm sure others will be interested in that hub mount you've got worked up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357