How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This is going to sound real silly ... but how do you pull it off (without breaking it) and what did you use to glue it on?
The universal is fine. You know what needs to plug into it...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

goldcountryram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can anyone tell me where to get one of these 6-pin to 8-pin adapters for the newer media hubs? or even just the plug and pinouts and I'll make one.

roxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FD8msyLr.png

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Those are the ones I'm looking at ... ETA is March :(

I do have both - do you want me to post here or DM? Truck was a 2018.

Is there any reason I cannot "break" the fakra on my original 8.4 and glue it onto the back of the new 8.4? Similarly (and likely not as stupid of an idea) could I get a replacement fakra (like this Fakra Plug male End Launch PCB mount Right angle connector white/9001 New | eBay), disassemble and glue the plastic / barrel onto the 8.4?

Go ahead and message me the VIN/year/radio model/ pn...
I want to check build sheet and other info to possibly update the thread at some point.

Also,
I don't think you will have any luck buying any pcb connectors to get the plastic piece off of.. I order a few different one and couldn't find a close enough match that would work.
The connectors used on the 13-17 Harmon radios are different than the 2018+ Panasonic radios and likely won't work well either.

The Pigtail is the best solution IMO, unless you have a scrap Panasonic radio board to rob parts off of. The fakra z will work.

M² Mods.

autumnwalker

Reaction score
Interesting when I pull the window sticker for the truck this radio came out of it calls it a Uconnect 4C, not 4C-Nav. When you search for the P/N of the radio it indicates 4C-Nav for a "Chrysler". Clearly mine has mounts for the RAM ... not sure what this thing is.

I guess I'll find out when I plug it in lol - I just want CarPlay so I don't care if it has factory nav or not.

Kyomie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright....So I purchase the under sear module with the part number 68217268AF and installed it in my 2014 Ram 2500 with a UAQ Radio. The heated seats worked on screen with the original screen, but not with the UAQ even after installing the newest module. I have Alpha and the correct tool to connect to the truck. All the features are turned on in the BCM. I also went as far as disconnecting the battery and resetting the system, which provided negative results as well. It took about 24 hours for the radio to bring Sirius icon back to the screen. Does anyone have any other suggestions to get the on screen buttons to work?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Alright....So I purchase the under sear module with the part number 68217268AF and installed it in my 2014 Ram 2500 with a UAQ Radio. The heated seats worked on screen with the original screen, but not with the UAQ even after installing the newest module. I have Alpha and the correct tool to connect to the truck. All the features are turned on in the BCM. I also went as far as disconnecting the battery and resetting the system, which provided negative results as well. It took about 24 hours for the radio to bring Sirius icon back to the screen. Does anyone have any other suggestions to get the on screen buttons to work?

Found this...

I got the latest version of the seat interface module and it didn't change anything. I even turned off all the settings, gave it a couple of days and re-enabled them.

** About a week later I found a setting in Alfa at the very bottom of the list called

"Cabin Net - HSM Heated Seat Module Initialize"

and changed it to "Enabled". **

After the truck went to sleep the buttons appeared on the screen and everything is good to go. Not 100% sure this wouldn't have worked with the stock module off of the 2014 Laramie seats.

M² Mods.

Lakazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar VVT V6
I've got a 2019 classic with the 8.4 non NAV Uconnect. I'm swapping my jump seat to a console from a 2013, what's required for my android auto / car play to work hub wise? Can I use my existing jump seat hub?
Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BeardedContractor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I am in the same situation with my 2016, although I have not changed out the heated seat module. None of the AlphaOBD options fixed it for me either. I am pretty sure you need the 4C interface module from infotainment.com. I have one coming as well to fix my 2016 but it is a requirement for 2014 trucks

JoeGo88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
Sanded, painted and installed. Pretty happy with the results. Friction fit pretty well into truck and USB hub clips into adapter.

View attachment 216556
View attachment 216555

I’m thinking of switching to this too. Did you have the dual usb in there before? Did you need the adapter because of upgrading to the UAS/UAQ? I think I say you had Android Auto working with usb-c do you know if CarPlay was also working ok with the usb-c?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

autumnwalker

Reaction score
Got my HU in last night. Everything working great with CarPlay and the temporary (?) 2018 RAM media hub. I plan to source a 2017 Chrysler 200 hub which fits the hole better in my console - not sure if that requires cutting pin 7 as well? I've left pin 7 connected for now and just disconnected the media hub harness when not in use. The hub is just sitting in the console as I didn't want to cut the console tray to make it fit knowing I'm going to try for the 200 option.

Unfortunately I'd say my issues with the lines on the camera which were introduced with the Customtronix Enzo are worse now. Customtronix actually sent me a replacement Enzo thinking the first one was faulty. The replacement has the same problem. Otherwise everything works great - my premium cluster sees media source info, radio station detail when it changes, etc.

Confirming that my unit is a 4C (non NAV). Again, I only wanted CarPlay so I don't care, but for future reference of others. I also went into dealer mode and took photos of each page for reference if anyone was interested. I didn't go into any of the other "hidden" modes as I couldn't find the thread that describes how to do it.

ajairola

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am in the same situation with my 2016, although I have not changed out the heated seat module. None of the AlphaOBD options fixed it for me either. I am pretty sure you need the 4C interface module from infotainment.com. I have one coming as well to fix my 2016 but it is a requirement for 2014 trucks

Did you try the module initilization in alfaobd that @Mpgrimm2 mentioned in this post?

autumnwalker

Reaction score
Ok ... I feel like I'm missing the obvious here. I've assumed that the fix for the "backlight on when truck off" situation with the 2018 hub is to cut pin 7 on the conversion harness from M2 mods.

I've been researching to confirm and it seems like you actually need to cut pin 7 on a different harness on the truck down where the console lid hinges - is that correct? I'm really not liking the idea of cutting up my truck harness if I can avoid it.

Am I misinterpreting what I'm reading?

Probably makes a difference to know what I'm running also; I have the factory 2015 center console, factory 2015 lid. I put the M2 mods adapter at the end of the factory 2015 media hub cable and plugged the 2018 media hub into the M2 adapter. Everything from behind the M2 adapter is 2015.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Ok ... I feel like I'm missing the obvious here. I've assumed that the fix for the "backlight on when truck off" situation with the 2018 hub is to cut pin 7 on the conversion harness from M2 mods.

I've been researching to confirm and it seems like you actually need to cut pin 7 on a different harness on the truck down where the console lid hinges - is that correct? I'm really not liking the idea of cutting up my truck harness if I can avoid it.

Probably makes a difference to know what I'm running also; I have the factory 2015 center console, factory 2015 lid. I put the M2 mods adapter at the end of the factory 2015 media hub cable and plugged the 2018 media hub into the M2 adapter. Everything from behind the M2 adapter is 2015.

We don't build the hub adapter harness with the panel lighting wire (pin 2 on the new hub's 8 pin connector), since there isn't anywhere (nearby) to grab the signal... (Trailer brake sw is the closest point)

The pin 7 issue mentioned in post 5 (please follow the link and look at the pictures in post 40 of CircuitGuy's thread), is when mixing a 2018/classic console lid (with factory hub) into a 2013-17 truck and deals with the 8 pin console lid connector under/behind the rear panel of the console below the hinge.
>> For that situation only, 13-17 truck console wiring has +12v from battery at pin 7 of the lid connector to run the 12v outlet in the old lid (next to the 13-17 hub)....
>>> On 18/classic wiring, pin 7 of the console lid connector has the panel lighting signal for the hub (& no 12v outlet).

>>>> So, if you plug in a 2018/classic 8pin console lid connector into the 13-17 truck's console wiring, you end up with +12v going to the 2018 usb hub backlight ... Which will be on constantly and drain the battery.

** Side note, If I recall correctly (I don't have a 4th gen anymore to check), when power is first applied to the USB Hub, it will light up briefly before looking for the panel light control signal (even if one isn't present).

It's possible something is waking your truck up randomly or there is an intermittent issue with power to the USB hub.... A customer of mine recent had a faulty/blown fuse in the PDC for the usb Hub. Not sure what happened to pop it done it was working fine for 6mos.

PS: when you get the 2017 Chrysler 200 dual usb hub, let us know how it works with the UAS radio... I'd like to see someone else verify it (preferably with a verified Ram radio), before we push it as a best option.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

autumnwalker

Reaction score
We don't build the hub adapter harness with the panel lighting wire (pin 2 on the new hub's 8 pin connector), since there isn't anywhere (nearby) to grab the signal... (Trailer brake sw is the closest point)

The pin 7 issue mentioned in post 5 (please follow the link and look at the pictures in post 40 of CircuitGuy's thread), is when mixing a 2018/classic console lid (with factory hub) into a 2013-17 truck and deals with the 8 pin console lid connector under/behind the rear panel of the console below the hinge.
>> For that situation only, 13-17 truck console wiring has +12v from battery at pin 7 of the lid connector to run the 12v outlet in the old lid (next to the 13-17 hub)....
>>> On 18/classic wiring, pin 7 of the console lid connector has the panel lighting signal for the hub (& no 12v outlet).

>>>> So, if you plug in a 2018/classic 8pin console lid connector into the 13-17 truck's console wiring, you end up with +12v going to the 2018 usb hub backlight ... Which will be on constantly and drain the battery.

** Side note, If I recall correctly (I don't have a 4th gen anymore to check), when power is first applied to the USB Hub, it will light up briefly before looking for the panel light control signal (even if one isn't present).

It's possible something is waking your truck up randomly or there is an intermittent issue with power to the USB hub.... A customer of mine recent had a faulty/blown fuse in the PDC for the usb Hub.

M² Mods.
So I think what you're saying here is my truck should not be lighting up the USB hub when it's off?

Where is the fuse / PDC for the hub? I'll check that too.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
What year/model is your truck.
Should be f67

45898061517fb734d9da90a14d1d1602.jpg

Last edited:

CoZo6

2021 Longhorn Limited 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque

I have been on this issue for some time since I installed the 2018 lid/hub assembly in my 2017 2500 as mentioned. I had Mikes harness in the past, but sold it when I got the 2018 stuff and as described, the panel light is always on, even when the truck is turned off. So given that, and the fact I have yet to cut/ move pins, I have lived with the “drain” issue and as of now, I have never had the battery drain to the point of experiencing a dead battery and couldn’t get the truck started. Now I don’t know how much juice I’m pulling, but not starting the truck for up to 6 days I haven’t had an issue. So I’m just leaving it alone (I have left my music jump drive in there too). Just my experience so far!

Last edited: