How to: V6 Efan Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks that way and I agree 100%. I went to three mopar sites all say discontinued.
If this one ever failed, I'd return to stock setup and I keep my old stuff with 38k miles on it before i'd put dorman/TYC on.
Well that sucks, yeah I would do the same.

When I was looking at doing this I grabbed a Dorman one from the local parts store and it just felt cheap and light. So I returned it and ordered the Mopar unit. It's a good amount heavier and has a Denso motor. There's a reason it's more money than the aftermarket ones.

OcallyRamFam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whats up guys. Happy Friday and Beers to the weekend!!!

I am about to do this conversion while doing lifter/ cam/ everything else that all of us seem to have to do.

I definitely understand why some of you have decided to use the 3.7 OEM fan over the TYC but as mentioned above it seems like they are discontinued and getting hard to find - plus $400+ is out of my price range for this ATM.

Reading on summit reviews on the Dorman OE replacement, and someone came up with this idea and I think its a winner:

"........ A lot of people complain about the harness not reaching so I simply swapped my Hemi fan motor over to the V6 fan shroud and used the larger V6 fan blade as well, it worked perfectly, my harness was just the right length. ...."​

Seems to me it will resolve not only the shorter harness issue on the available (and cheaper) replacement fans but potentially more reliable in using the oem fan motor that would otherwsie just get chucked in the bin. no clue if the motor is more heavy duty/spins faster to increase CFM or not???

Anybody else have real world experience in doing this?

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whats up guys. Happy Friday and Beers to the weekend!!!

I am about to do this conversion while doing lifter/ cam/ everything else that all of us seem to have to do.

I definitely understand why some of you have decided to use the 3.7 OEM fan over the TYC but as mentioned above it seems like they are discontinued and getting hard to find - plus $400+ is out of my price range for this ATM.

Reading on summit reviews on the Dorman OE replacement, and someone came up with this idea and I think its a winner:

"........ A lot of people complain about the harness not reaching so I simply swapped my Hemi fan motor over to the V6 fan shroud and used the larger V6 fan blade as well, it worked perfectly, my harness was just the right length. ...."​

Seems to me it will resolve not only the shorter harness issue on the available (and cheaper) replacement fans but potentially more reliable in using the oem fan motor that would otherwise just get chucked in the bin. no clue if the motor is more heavy duty/spins faster to increase CFM or not???

Anybody else have real world experience in doing this?
Depending on how the OEM BLADES are mounted, this may be a difficult proposition, and/or you could damage the motor (not sure if brushed, or brushless. If brushed, breaking the brushes, if brushless, just straight damage.)

PLUS, the commenter bought the expensive fan, and is only using part of it. the V8 fan MOTOR would be sized for the smaller load of the V8 fan, versus the larger V6 fan blades, so is likely pulling more amps on the motor to spin it, and either getting less speed, so less air flow, or the V8 motor will burn out like the Dorman/TYC's are reported to be failing.

OcallyRamFam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depending on how the OEM BLADES are mounted, this may be a difficult proposition, and/or you could damage the motor (not sure if brushed, or brushless. If brushed, breaking the brushes, if brushless, just straight damage.)

PLUS, the commenter bought the expensive fan, and is only using part of it. the V8 fan MOTOR would be sized for the smaller load of the V8 fan, versus the larger V6 fan blades, so is likely pulling more amps on the motor to spin it, and either getting less speed, so less air flow, or the V8 motor will burn out like the Dorman/TYC's are reported to be failing.
The commenter bought (and did this mod) to a Dorman fan - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-621-410/part-type/fans-electric

Are you saying this is one of the good units to use out of the box? I am under the impression its one of the ones that people say have a weak motor (ie low CFM) but Im trying to verify this. Its not the $400+ Mopar fan. Is there another less expensive Dorman model to stay away from?

I understand your theoretical precautions on motor swap, but why I wanted to see if others had actually done this and if it worked

thanks

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fumy how guys on here a worried about Dorman fans when they drive HEMI that eats cams ... lol..

Ive had mine for a while with zero issues even in the -40 weather.

Plainbroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fumy how guys on here a worried about Dorman fans when they drive HEMI that eats cams ... lol..

Crap you shouldn't even need a fan at that temperature, LOL. I would be more concerned at 110 degrees out what it is going to do... What do you think of the fan I posted? Think it is as good as the Dorman?

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

I personally knew someone who had dorman and his fan blade came off his Ram while driving. Also, aftermarket CFM is never the same as OEM. Always less. People buy what they can afford.

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Crap you shouldn't even need a fan at that temperature, LOL. I would be more concerned at 110 degrees out what it is going to do... What do you think of the fan I posted? Think it is as good as the Dorman?
I logged a lot of data on efans as where I live I see up to 122* in the summer. Even the OEM v6 efan becomes weak after 105* ish. After 105* mine moves from 185* to 190*. As the outside temps rise I do see 195*. I read the Ram pulls timing after 190* so I try to keep it lower than that and can't at those temps in the summer. Now, is 195* good? Of course. But if your into power, not so much if timing is being pulled. Its all in the facts/details.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"Ram pulls timing after 190 deg"
Coolant temp? Possible but highly doubtful since it is tuned to run up to 220 degrees and the stock stat is a 203 deg. unit.
Unless you are referring to high load high rpm sustained usage, then I can see pulling some timing, but even then I would let the det. sensor do it's job unless temps kept climbing - such as pull a large hill fully loaded.

But anything is possible.

I do agree on the V6 fan capping out on hot days.

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
"Ram pulls timing after 190 deg"
Coolant temp? Possible but highly doubtful since it is tuned to run up to 220 degrees and the stock stat is a 203 deg. unit.
Unless you are referring to high load high rpm sustained usage, then I can see pulling some timing, but even then I would let the det. sensor do it's job unless temps kept climbing - such as pull a large hill fully loaded.

But anything is possible.

I do agree on the V6 fan capping out on hot days.
I'm Sure Jay Green is wrong when he said run a cooler t-stat to maintain timing.
I just used it as a reference point.
I'd think stock at 220-225* would run fine while timing is being pulled. At some point the engine can't have a lot of timing and a hot engine. I get they can run that hot at 220-225* for emissions, but performance and emission never go hand in hand.
As for the v6 efan. I wish the hemi efan was able to be swapped. Much more cfm.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FWIW I've been running a custom tune on my truck for 5 years now and I've ran the 203⁰, 190⁰, and 180⁰ tstats, all my tuner has ever changed in the tune file is when the fan kicks on. But I have the 6 speed without the grill shutters so the highest my coolant temps get with the 203 is around 208

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm Sure Jay Green is wrong when he said run a cooler t-stat to maintain timing.
I just used it as a reference point.
I'd think stock at 220-225* would run fine while timing is being pulled. At some point the engine can't have a lot of timing and a hot engine. I get they can run that hot at 220-225* for emissions, but performance and emission never go hand in hand.
As for the v6 efan. I wish the hemi efan was able to be swapped. Much more cfm.
Tuned is another thing, they can dump more timing in and want to keep it out of detonation.
I was referring to the stock oem tune.

And even the stock tune might pull timing on WOT sustained pull (esp. if using 87 octane), but in normal driving I would think they would make the stock tune run the best possible and still meet emissions. There's not a lot of performance to gain on a stock oem engine with a tune - unless you use higher octane.
The hemi doesn't use a lot of timing as it is, nothing compared to the older engines. I know engine masters played around with timing when tuning a hemi and didn't find any huge gains - I don't remember for sure but I want to think the timing was in the 26-28 degree range on the dyno.

Yeah, the newer hemi efan would be a sweet setup. Using PWM to get a variable speed fan is the ticket, big CFM when needed and just a tad most of the time.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im still waiting for someone to play with the Alfaobd settings for the fan and set the pwm setting in Alfa. If it can run the pwm fan from Alfa we are set. The harness can be bought online as I have the fan harness in my garage to connect the pwm fan. Pwm pentastar harness

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok, I thought that you still had the fan. I remember you trying to get it to work for awhile.
After moving I can’t find the fan. I’m planning on buying a new one at some point. May try to see if the newer ecodiesel or hemi fan fits our trucks and if it does I’ll buy that fan and see. If not I’ll buy a new pentastar fan at some point and try again.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Question for you guys, can the Pentastar fan be made to work without PWM? Like just wire it into the the existing Hemi wiring or does it HAVE to he PWM controlled?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question for you guys, can the Pentastar fan be made to work without PWM? Like just wire it into the the existing Hemi wiring or does it HAVE to he PWM controlled?
The fan get street 12 V power constant and the PWM signal is actually what tells a fan to turn on and off and regulate fan speed