I want everyone to go out under the passenger seat and try to take out your jack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jberg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I decided to remove my jack and tire before a road trip to make sure I could do it. I had the same experience as the OP. The wing bolt for the jack required a considerable effort with channel locks. I was not expecting to see the road through the hole once the bolt was removed. Anti seize should make it easier next time. The spare was weird too. Looked like the peg was an innie, turned out to be an outie. Try it before you need to do it on the road.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Am I missing something here? These are easy to turn and the thread has grease on it from the factory if I'm not mistaken. It doesn't need a lot of tension to keep the jack in place either.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Am I missing something here? These are easy to turn and the thread has grease on it from the factory if I'm not mistaken. It doesn't need a lot of tension to keep the jack in place either.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Yes, you are. I'm not sure if they use a lot of salt in St. Louis. But here in Long Island NY it takes almost a month into spring for the salt to be washed off the roads.

I needed to use a wrench to start mine (did it a month ago for the first time on a 2015 Ram). After 1-2 turns, I was able to remove it by hand. After that, I put antiseize on the threads, which should take care of it for years.

armallard

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just checked mine it was difficult to remove luckily I was at home and noticed I have NO tools to retrieve my spare or use the jack lol.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
This makes total sense. Like a screen door on a submarine.

Why would they design it that way!??

Another good bit of advice is grease the crap out of the top of the tire/rim and the cable that lowers. My dad taught me that.

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box

Mike77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a hard time as well. I might also add "Check the air in your spare" as it's often forgotten.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haven’t tried mine yet, but I figure I’ll take a look considering the setup has some pages of dedication to the design, might as well check that I’m able to take The damn jack out, along with the spare :), I’ll be trying to mount a 315/70/17 tire as spare as well, so hopefully it’ll work out good.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes but the bolt still goes thru the floor and is removed with the wingnut correct?....not a stud with just a wingnut that gets removed correct?

My understanding, is the problem is the threads on the stud/bolt get corroded to the nut preventing the it from coming thru to the inside when you loosen this wingnut.

Just checked mine today. Bolt/stud stays in place. Only the wingnut comes off.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If my understanding of other postings is correct, earlier models had the mounting point farther forward under the front seat. There is a hole in the carpet at that point.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
ok kad, find us some part numbers :deal:

Well it just so happens that I was at the dealer this morning for ye old yearly "New York State Enhanced Emissions/Safety Inspection" so I wandered over to the parts dept to have a talk with them on the subject. Turns out the parts are pretty cheap so I had them order me a set. They should be here on Tuesday.

Stud - 6508288AA - $2.25
Nut - 6512623AA - $5.00

-K

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well it just so happens that I was at the dealer this morning for ye old yearly "New York State Enhanced Emissions/Safety Inspection" so I wandered over to the parts dept to have a talk with them on the subject. Turns out the parts are pretty cheap so I had them order me a set. They should be here on Tuesday.

Stud - 6508288AA - $2.25
Nut - 6512623AA - $5.00

-K

Great, just ordered a set thanks

Reactions: kad

b055man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
thank you, OP!
now I know what that hole under the passenger seat is for:)

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Stud - 6508288AA - $2.25
Nut - 6512623AA - $5.00

-K

Swapped the hold down for the one from a 2018 today. It fit perfectly and took all of 5 minutes to install. A 10mm ratcheting box end wrench is your friend. I wish I could have found mine. :) I put some locktite on the stud where it went into the floor and next time I'm under the truck I'll hit the end with some fluid film just in case I ever need to take it out.

The parts as they came from the dealer:

20180828_142327.jpg

Before:

20180828_173808.jpg

After:

20180828_174046.jpg

-K

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does where we live have something to do with this?
Wetter areas being more prone to rust. People in the backseat having their wet feet under the passenger seat.
My truck is 6years old and mine has absolutely no problems coming out or going back in.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Does where we live have something to do with this?
Wetter areas being more prone to rust. People in the backseat having their wet feet under the passenger seat.
My truck is 6years old and mine has absolutely no problems coming out or going back in.

More to do with areas that use salt on the roads.

-K