Ignition switch problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So, I just wrapped up putting my lower dash back together after installing two toggle switches. I put my key in to start is and the key went in just fine but was really difficult to remove my key from the ignition. So, I got it out and now, I have to push they key in with a good bit of force and removing it takes the same amount of effort. The thing that gets me is that I didn't even mess with the ignition switch at all. Has anyone else ran into this problem?? If so, anything I can do to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Adam

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
A lot of bad luck.

When I had a column shifter, and a standard type key... It would do that if I didn't jiggle it (shifter) in park, to make sure it's in all the way.

IMO

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A lot of bad luck.

When I had a column shifter, and a standard type key... It would do that if I didn't jiggle it (shifter) in park, to make sure it's in all the way.

IMO

I might take it for a quick test drive but I did disconnect the battery to finish the electrical tie-ins I had to get done. Not sure if that affected anything. I have the key that's the ignition key and key FOB in one unit.

Adam

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well I think I found the problem. Rechecked all the wiring harnesses and the one under the steer column wasn't "clicked" into place... :idiot:
All works fine now...

Adam

Reactions: 9th

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Any of your wires or work you did behind that panel interfere with the ignition mechanics at all. Your key is right above your switches, no?

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Any of your wires or work you did behind that panel interfere with the ignition mechanics at all. Your key is right above your switches, no?

The ignition module is actually up and to the right of the wiring I did. What happened was I unplugged a harness from the steering column that was in my way and must not have pushed it all the way to "click" and I believe that's what caused the problem. After I clicked the harness into place, all was just fine.

Adam