Installing a 2019-2021 12.1 (UAX) Radio in 4th Gen RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Crap. I was hoping that the new "dash" was just the outer shell over the older style HVAC and other stuff in the dash since the cab is still the same. So the new cluster doesn't work at all? I wonder if the older cluster could be swapped into the new style housing?
We’re going to revisit the cluster swap. This week I discovered a battery circuit on the cluster connector that is different between the 2019+ HDs and the 4th gen. The housing and mounting of the clusters are quite different, but I’m going to figure something out if I have to retain the old cluster. I have the new dash on the bench as we speak, going over matching up dash harness circuits today.
I’m going to send you a PM.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry guys- I was on six flights this week and have at least 4 scheduled this coming week.

Crap. I was hoping that the new "dash" was just the outer shell over the older style HVAC and other stuff in the dash since the cab is still the same. So the new cluster doesn't work at all? I wonder if the older cluster could be swapped into the new style housing?

Yeah. I'm pretty sure at least one of them we got in has the brown interior. I just have no idea when they'll get released. My facility in Bellville, MI gets tons of them in, but I don't feel like going up there and driving back with a truck full of parts.
I am actually about an hour away from Belleville.

LoganXMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I really need some guidance here, y'all... I have a 2015 Ram Ecodiesel. I bought a nearly brand new 2019 Ram 1500 UAV unit from a guy, and I lost steering wheel controls and backup camera after I installed it. Anyway, the burgundy/maroon cable is now orphaned and free-floating, because it won't go on the red fakra spot (which I have since found out is the place the new cameras are supposed to plug in?). The white and yellow fakras went on perfectly, as would be expected.

Anyway, I am wondering if I need to replace other parts? The heat and air both work, but it isn't showing the temperature or anything in the truck. I know I need to change the media hub in the armrest box, but which one do I need? Should I get the latest one, or should I get the one for the UAQ? I'm super confused about that.

My truck already had the 8.4 VP4 Harman unit, but I don't know what else I need to do to get this up and running properly. I'm going to check after leaving it sit overnight to see if anything changed. Not sure if that still applies in my situation, though. If anyone has any advice for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. I keep seeing stuff about changing BCM, adapters for the media hub, a new media hub, etc. I'm kind of confused with all of the conflicting info.

I think of all of my questions, the most important one is: Which BCM should I get for this??

Last edited:

RainZeros

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been so tempted by this for so long, I've found the screens as low as $300 with no problem, however I can not find the lisited head unit module. does anyone know if that is the only p/n that will work with the uax screen?
also, n theory, wouldn't uconnect 5 work as well? the 5th gen guys started converting to it. using 68507350AB as the module and 68526609AC as the display... not that thats exactly in my price range... can only find em for about $800 each

Last edited:

Slick6sevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Well here we go, I received the initial Pieces of my Major Mod (and I thought the Floor Console/Shifter & 5th Gen Tail Lights where my biggest achievement). This Mod won't be done Over Night nor over the course of a week, what I will do is document the process and along with some very talented forum members should be able to get anyone with a desire to take this on, the info and work needed to do it right.

Fist things first; I have a 2015 PW- Any thing before 2016 will need a new BCM. I purchased one from @Roman217 which he graciously programed for me and should arrive today if not tomorrow. This will also be my my first install since the rest of the Mod relies on this unit and can run it independently and likely benefit me in other ways.

Next; The Main Components the Head Unit and Screen - These arrived today

Head Unit: 68378392AB (superseded by 68378392AG)

View attachment 243250
Instrument Panel Parts Module+Uconnect 12.0 with Navigation.

Center Stack - Display: 68423810AA (superseded by 68423810AB)

View attachment 243251

2020 - 2021 Instrument Panel Parts Module+12.0* Touchscreen Display+Lane Keep

It's Beautiful, the Carbon Fiber Surround would be so sweet unfortunately I'd likely have to switch to a 5th gen Dash - Possible but expensive

So what's next - well I have a List of things to acquire I will post each PN as I get them

Wiring Harnesses
Head Unit to Display - I guess there are 2
68082364AC "Mopar Jumper Cable" No cable no screen display around $25
Haven't Found the Data Cable yet The 8 pin (or 6 Pin) is off the Main Harness so Either a Re-pin or Adapter
Truck to Head Unit (Adapter?) -
Harness to Video Module (360 Surround)

Modules
Video 360 - Control Module CVPM PN: 68318033AG
Misc Modules? -

Cluster? (Do I need a 2017 +?)

High Mount CHMSL - Found one the forsale section

2020 - 2021 Exterior Mirrors with Camera
I think I have the PN's to Track down

Extra 4th GEN Center Bezel for a Console (So I can mess up my Current one)

and any Misc. Items I've not thought about or considered the the experts can tell me I need or will want to have.

I would also like to Note and Acknowledge Sites and individual Users that helped and shared their expertise

@Roman217
@Mpgrimm2
@Jimmy07

This forum and more specifically this thread:5th Gen 8.4 UAV Radio in a 4th Gen (And Possible Surround View) | DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

and Info for 5th Gen trucks that provided a lot of insight to the workings of the Wiring Harness and BCM's: 8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement | 5thGenRams Forums

Wish me Luck :)
@48PowerWagon Have you been able to figure out the wiring harness and or pin out for the hvac connector/plug?

ajairola

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really need some guidance here, y'all... I have a 2015 Ram Ecodiesel. I bought a nearly brand new 2019 Ram 1500 UAV unit from a guy, and I lost steering wheel controls and backup camera after I installed it. Anyway, the burgundy/maroon cable is now orphaned and free-floating, because it won't go on the red fakra spot (which I have since found out is the place the new cameras are supposed to plug in?). The white and yellow fakras went on perfectly, as would be expected.

Anyway, I am wondering if I need to replace other parts? The heat and air both work, but it isn't showing the temperature or anything in the truck. I know I need to change the media hub in the armrest box, but which one do I need? Should I get the latest one, or should I get the one for the UAQ? I'm super confused about that.

My truck already had the 8.4 VP4 Harman unit, but I don't know what else I need to do to get this up and running properly. I'm going to check after leaving it sit overnight to see if anything changed. Not sure if that still applies in my situation, though. If anyone has any advice for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. I keep seeing stuff about changing BCM, adapters for the media hub, a new media hub, etc. I'm kind of confused with all of the conflicting info.

I think of all of my questions, the most important one is: Which BCM should I get for this??
I'd recommend a 2016 BCM, I installed a UAV in my 2016 1500 and haven't had an issue. Do you have the harness that splits the HVAC controls between the display and the physical buttons(this may be your issue with hvac not displaying)?

ajairola

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@48PowerWagon Have you been able to figure out the wiring harness and or pin out for the hvac connector/plug?
You can get the HVAC wiring harness (it splits the connection between the physical controls and the display) from ebay(search harness disassociated display).

andrewlbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi,
Can someone help me with the firmware for my Jeep Cherokee KL 2019? I have 8.4 Uconnect (Panasonic)

lebronjuanluis19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone, I'm hoping this thread hasn't died yet but I'm also trying to do this conversion with the 12 inch into my 2014 and I've got a few questions I hope to get answered. I did read up on the others forums saying that I'll definitely need to get a new BCM do you know if I can just get a new one for a 2018 and it'll be fine? Also I picked up a 12in center stack and module and when I connect it to the factory harness it shows that it is a locked radio on my cluster gauge, would that mean my module is bad? Or would I need a harness that connects between the factory harness to the radio module?

crookedmosquito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone, I'm hoping this thread hasn't died yet but I'm also trying to do this conversion with the 12 inch into my 2014 and I've got a few questions I hope to get answered. I did read up on the others forums saying that I'll definitely need to get a new BCM do you know if I can just get a new one for a 2018 and it'll be fine? Also I picked up a 12in center stack and module and when I connect it to the factory harness it shows that it is a locked radio on my cluster gauge, would that mean my module is bad? Or would I need a harness that connects between the factory harness to the radio module?
Interested in this as well.