Installing a 2019-2021 12.1 (UAX) Radio in 4th Gen RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PJs97Talon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014/2016
Engine
3.0 and 6.7
I know there was something that needed to be changed when going from the single-piece radio units to the multi-piece divorced units. Before I go and plug one of these into my truck and do some testing- what was it that I need to change in the BCM?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I know there was something that needed to be changed when going from the single-piece radio units to the multi-piece divorced units. Before I go and plug one of these into my truck and do some testing- what was it that I need to change in the BCM?
I've never done this (yet) and can't recall exactly, what was posted before but it had something to do with Cabin Net Disassociated Screen Module or something like that. I'm sure @Jimmy07 will know exactly which one it is.

M² Mods.
(via Tapatalk App)

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would like to see how the 12" screen looks when retrofitted into the 4th Ram. Do you have a picture of the complete dash?

PJs97Talon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014/2016
Engine
3.0 and 6.7
Well I think I've decided to just swap the entire dash from a 21 truck into mine. It will make the 12.1" radio fit like it should. I have a few 0 mile trucks at work I can get to and just swap over the entire interior so my 14 will basically be a 21 inside wise. I need to find the correct switch panel for below the radio from the correct 1500 (Air suspension, parking sensors, heat/cooled seats, heated wheel) and figure out if the gear selector and headlight switches will just plug in and work. I know the trailer brake controller will from what I've seen.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Well I think I've decided to just swap the entire dash from a 21 truck into mine. It will make the 12.1" radio fit like it should. I have a few 0 mile trucks at work I can get to and just swap over the entire interior so my 14 will basically be a 21 inside wise. I need to find the correct switch panel for below the radio from the correct 1500 (Air suspension, parking sensors, heat/cooled seats, heated wheel) and figure out if the gear selector and headlight switches will just plug in and work. I know the trailer brake controller will from what I've seen.
Pictures or it didn't happen (if you do)!

skuppy069

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 cc
Engine
hemi 5.7
I hope it works out good.
All I can say is a want to see what it looks like when done .
Good luck

PJs97Talon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014/2016
Engine
3.0 and 6.7
any update on this swap?
Nope. I've been super busy with work and haven't had much time for taking my truck apart. Ram/FCA/Whatever hasn't released the brand new trucks I have to be dismantled yet either. I'm planning on getting the dash, the headlight switch and rotary shifter from a 2500. I might just go ahead and get the full interior (-airbags and IP) because new seats are nice.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Nope. I've been super busy with work and haven't had much time for taking my truck apart. Ram/FCA/Whatever hasn't released the brand new trucks I have to be dismantled yet either. I'm planning on getting the dash, the headlight switch and rotary shifter from a 2500. I might just go ahead and get the full interior (-airbags and IP) because new seats are nice.
I now have a dash and center console to swap in. I recently tested the headlight switch, which doesn’t really work on the 4th gens- the headlight settings are backwards, no cargo lights, etc. The transfer case switch doesn’t work at all. The main thing I’ll be testing next is the newer hvac module, since the entire hvac system has to be swapped over along with the dash. Basically, we need a 2019+ BCM swapped in to make a dash swap work, but it hasn’t been working out for us so far.

PJs97Talon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014/2016
Engine
3.0 and 6.7
I now have a dash and center console to swap in. I recently tested the headlight switch, which doesn’t really work on the 4th gens- the headlight settings are backwards, no cargo lights, etc. The transfer case switch doesn’t work at all. The main thing I’ll be testing next is the newer hvac module, since the entire hvac system has to be swapped over along with the dash. Basically, we need a 2019+ BCM swapped in to make a dash swap work, but it hasn’t been working out for us so far.

Really? I figured the HVAC system was at least similar or the same under the dash. Are you talking about the 2500/3500 dash or the 1500 dash? I would expect things to be different with the 1500 dashes. Getting the BCM is easy. (getting it to work may be a little more complicated)

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Really? I figured the HVAC system was at least similar or the same under the dash. Are you talking about the 2500/3500 dash or the 1500 dash? I would expect things to be different with the 1500 dashes. Getting the BCM is easy. (getting it to work may be a little more complicated)
It has to be a dash from an HD, but everything behind the dash is very different, including the metal sub frame. The hvac system and ductwork is the same between the 5th gen 1500 and 2019+ HDs, and the old plenum, ductwork, etc from the 4th gen won’t fit or line up with anything behind the new dash. New cluster doesn’t work in the 4th gen either. We’ve got BCMs coming out of our ears between the three of us, along with rf hubs, but it’s not as easy as just swapping them out like we can between the 4th gens.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It has to be a dash from an HD, but everything behind the dash is very different, including the metal sub frame. The hvac system and ductwork is the same between the 5th gen 1500 and 2019+ HDs, and the old plenum, ductwork, etc from the 4th gen won’t fit or line up with anything behind the new dash. New cluster doesn’t work in the 4th gen either. We’ve got BCMs coming out of our ears between the three of us, along with rf hubs, but it’s not as easy as just swapping them out like we can between the 4th gens.
I think I have somewhere around six (probably more) different BCMs sitting in my office right now.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let me know if you have a tan/brown 2500/3500 somewhere in there.

PJs97Talon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014/2016
Engine
3.0 and 6.7
Sorry guys- I was on six flights this week and have at least 4 scheduled this coming week.
Crap. I was hoping that the new "dash" was just the outer shell over the older style HVAC and other stuff in the dash since the cab is still the same. So the new cluster doesn't work at all? I wonder if the older cluster could be swapped into the new style housing?
Let me know if you have a tan/brown 2500/3500 somewhere in there.
Yeah. I'm pretty sure at least one of them we got in has the brown interior. I just have no idea when they'll get released. My facility in Bellville, MI gets tons of them in, but I don't feel like going up there and driving back with a truck full of parts.