Interested in PW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RCSB88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All of my trucks are Rams and have been for several years. I’ve had countless 5.7s(I get a new work truck every 3 years), I went with a 2018 2500 with a 6.4 and it made all the sounds that didn’t sound right, but the dealership said was fine. The engine blew with 6000 miles on it. I had to get a lawyer, but Ram bout it back under the lemon law (my lawyer said that the 6.4 Ram has the highest failure rate of any of the big three trucks). I’m not here to hate, I turned around and bought a 6.7 3500 2 months later. On the other hand, he said the 5.7 is right there with the Ford 5.0 as the most reliable. Again, I’m not hating, just my one experience and it wasn’t enough to move me off Ram, just maybe the 6.4.

God damnit. Posts like this keep me up at night.

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
All of my trucks are Rams and have been for several years. I’ve had countless 5.7s(I get a new work truck every 3 years), I went with a 2018 2500 with a 6.4 and it made all the sounds that didn’t sound right, but the dealership said was fine. The engine blew with 6000 miles on it. I had to get a lawyer, but Ram bout it back under the lemon law (my lawyer said that the 6.4 Ram has the highest failure rate of any of the big three trucks). I’m not here to hate, I turned around and bought a 6.7 3500 2 months later. On the other hand, he said the 5.7 is right there with the Ford 5.0 as the most reliable. Again, I’m not hating, just my one experience and it wasn’t enough to move me off Ram, just maybe the 6.4.
Can you please provide more details into what failed? Cam, lifters, spun bearing, threw a rod, etc.?

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

youll find lemons every where you go. i hardly knew what one was until i started browsing the ford truck site. there has been more buy backs there than i can remember, couple guys even had multiple lemon buy backs. granted it is a higher traffic site but still.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
God damnit. Posts like this keep me up at night.

just like all the other sheep on the forums, they hear a couple bad stories , (usually without even knowing all the facts mind you), and they lose sleep over it. pay no attention to the hundreds of thousands of the trucks running fine. at work we got one approaching 100k mi with around 2500 hr idle time. put that in your pipe and smoke it.
if it was a design problem with the lifter or cam, i would expect to see many more failures, like the leaking head gaskets that plagued so many subarus for so many years. i think it was just a qaulity control problem with the cam or lifter supplier. maybe theyre machining wasnt very good or the heat treatment was a bit off or they used cheap steel

RCSB88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just like all the other sheep on the forums, they hear a couple bad stories , (usually without even knowing all the facts mind you), and they lose sleep over it. pay no attention to the hundreds of thousands of the trucks running fine. at work we got one approaching 100k mi with around 2500 hr idle time. put that in your pipe and smoke it.
if it was a design problem with the lifter or cam, i would expect to see many more failures, like the leaking head gaskets that plagued so many subarus for so many years. i think it was just a qaulity control problem with the cam or lifter supplier. maybe theyre machining wasnt very good or the heat treatment was a bit off or they used cheap steel

The Hemi cam/lifter failure is probably the most prominently documented engine issue of modern trucks. More than a couple bad stories I’d say. How many people actually disagree with that?

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Hemi cam/lifter failure is probably the most prominently documented engine issue of modern trucks. More than a couple bad stories I’d say. How many people actually disagree with that?

ive no desire to engage in rumor, hear say, urban legend or any other non factual nonsense. to this day ive never seen any remotely credible source/person on any forum/website offer any information to the number of engines affected or the failure cause. if this information exists please share it.. if not ill put you in the same category as everyone else that knows nothing. for a very long time ive been interested in knowing the truth to all this cam and lifter stuff

RCSB88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ive no desire to engage in rumor, hear say, urban legend or any other non factual nonsense. to this day ive never seen any remotely credible source/person on any forum/website offer any information to the number of engines affected or the failure cause. if this information exists please share it.. if not ill put you in the same category as everyone else that knows nothing. for a very long time ive been interested in knowing the truth to all this cam and lifter stuff

There is about 400 videos I could spend the next 3 hours linking in this response. But I’ll just say you have your head in the sand on this one Jerry.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is about 400 videos I could spend the next 3 hours linking in this response. But I’ll just say you have your head in the sand on this one Jerry.
and even tho not all 6.4 will fail they all sound like they are on the verge of failing.......but look on the bright side at least they get good mpg....

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

many of the videos are posted by people that know nothing and have been debunked. unfortunatly this may be a subject that we just never know the real truth. if my lifters ever drop dead i may tear into the engine myself to have a look and form my owm opinion on the matter

OP
OP
Xyleff

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks again guys! Taking in everything mentioned.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i had no second thoughts about buying a pw with 6.4, because what ive seen with my own eyes. would buy another in a minute. we have 6.4 trucks at work and virtually they been trouble free. will they be trouble free tomorow/next week/next month/next year, i couldnt answer that question but ill never loose a moment of sleep thinking of it

Airmousam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Mine is quiet as a church mouse..FIL has 140k ish on his and its been perfect, and he works the **** out of it...his experience helped me make the move from Chevy....not even remotely concerned..if there 400 videos out there...cool, but the 10s of thousands plus that had no issues are very unlikely to post a video showing how great their 6.4 is running....easy to find issues on the internet and get ur panties in a bunch...ive seen it on every forum that involves anything that moves...

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I really hope my PW is as dependable as my Laramie and Bighorn were.
(not to mention my 2 Dakotas)
I've never had an issue with any of them.
( well my 2004 Dakota's 4.7L blew up but it did have 275,000 miles on it so I can't complain too much.)
But I have yet to see a truck from any of the competition that I would rather have so I'm kinda stuck buying a Ram...

OP
OP
Xyleff

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My next question is for those ‘19+ owners and non 75A.. how much did you guys pay for yours?

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2020 level 1 package msrp was $58 and I paid $50 otd August 2020. I did not have a trade it was a cash deal.

Power Hounder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m looking to get a ‘19+ PW. But would like to know more about the truck. I’ve been browsing the forum and reading a bit and haven’t seen any huge issues with the PW’s. I don’t tow/haul much weight so that’s not an issue for me. I’m off road a good amount but no rock climbing or any of that nature. My main concern is the engine and transmission. Major pros/cons regarding those areas basically.

I ordered a 3500 and I have a 19 P.W in brand new condition never off road 6100 miles loaded I have been offered 53k for a trade so not sure what they will ask for it but it will be at Victory Ram In Kansas city Kansas as soon as the new one is in.

Keith67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ordered a 2021 for $53,000:

-Level 1
-Graphics Delete
-Tow Tech w/360 Cameras
-Dual Alternators
-Vinyl Floor
-Bed Utility Group
-Trailer TPMS
-Mopar Side Steps

Power Hounder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Congrats. I love mine I really hate to trade it but I need payload now.