Interested in PW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Xyleff

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've seen a few posts about people having issues with lockers, and without going back and searching those there are probably multiples posts from the same person. Point being is that out of hundreds and thousands of these vehicles you only have handful of issues, and out of those handful I always wonder how many are truly legitimate failures and not operator error. It's always like that on the internet as you lose perspective. We may have 20 customer complaints a day at my job and to an outsider it looks like it's a terrible company, but then you realize that those 20 complaints account for only 0.04% of the product we make. While 0.04% may be bad that also means 99.96% is good....but you don't hear about the good stuff.
Totally understandable. Thanks!

OP
OP
Xyleff

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really appreciate all the input, feedback and replies. Usually people are ********** on forums to new guys.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
How much if you don’t mind me asking?

Well, I'm in Canada so I'm not sure if my number helps you. Rather than quote $ I'll say that I got 10.5% off MSRP plus all rebates that exist at delivery time with a guaranteed of at least 5%. So right now, 15.5% off MSRP and it could be a bit more.

48PowerWagon

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, I'm in Canada so I'm not sure if my number helps you. Rather than quote $ I'll say that I got 10.5% off MSRP plus all rebates that exist at delivery time with a guaranteed of at least 5%. So right now, 15.5% off MSRP and it could be a bit more.
Thankfully it wasn't a TRX or you'd have a 50K Dealer Mark up

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have an incoming ‘21 power wagon. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t concerned about the hemi lifter/cam issue. It’s gotta be the most prominently documented problem of any modern truck.

Have you checked on the 5.3 silverado problems? I'll take the 6.4 any day. Just toss it in manual mode every time you drive it. Peace of mind.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
from the dealership the lockers only work in low range wtf!??? Abel concepts fora locker bypass now works in any range including 2hi.on my 2015 pw my only issue was oil filter on so frickin tight to destroy it to get off let the dealer do your first oil change.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
from the dealership the lockers only work in low range wtf!??? Abel concepts fora locker bypass now works in any range including 2hi.on my 2015 pw my only issue was oil filter on so frickin tight to destroy it to get off let the dealer do your first oil change.
on my 2020 power wagon rear lockers work in 2h and 4h as well as 4lo...from the factory.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Really appreciate all the input, feedback and replies. Usually people are ********** on forums to new guys.

Hey there newbie how bout you hit the dusty trail until you actually have a power wagon, we aint got time for these nancy ass questions...

JK lol

These motors are noisy, but dont let it scare you off. Thats the nature of the beast. Sure there are many with lifter issues out there, but like you say, there are A LOT more with no issues. Its the luck of the draw my friend.

Good luck with the truck shopping. Sounds like you are being smart about it.

OP
OP
Xyleff

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey there newbie how bout you hit the dusty trail until you actually have a power wagon, we aint got time for these nancy ass questions...

JK lol

These motors are noisy, but dont let it scare you off. Thats the nature of the beast. Sure there are many with lifter issues out there, but like you say, there are A LOT more with no issues. Its the luck of the draw my friend.

Good luck with the truck shopping. Sounds like you are being smart about it.
LOL thanks!

OP
OP
Xyleff

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One other thing, what’s the difference from the ‘19-20’s vs ‘21 if any?

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi

That’s correct for an 18 and below. They fixed that on the 5th gen. However the able concepts removed all those “safety” features they had to include so your run of the mill idiot who doesn’t understand how to use a locker didn’t blow out his differential by going 55mph with the lockers on in 4 low. And don’t tell me that no one would do that. Remember that ******** rules were put in place because there was that one person who was the reason for their creation.

See the McDonald’s caution hot on their coffee cups incident for example.

As for differences for 19-21 mechanically they are the same I believe. It’s just appearance stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Xyleff

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s correct for an 18 and below. They fixed that on the 5th gen. However the able concepts removed all those “safety” features they had to include so your run of the mill idiot who doesn’t understand how to use a locker didn’t blow out his differential by going 55mph with the lockers on in 4 low. And don’t tell me that no one would do that. Remember that ******** rules were put in place because there was that one person who was the reason for their creation.

See the McDonald’s caution hot on their coffee cups incident for example.

As for differences for 19-21 mechanically they are the same I believe. It’s just appearance stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!

ZookaTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bought my '19 brand new on Valentine's Day 2020. Got 12k off sticker because it was last year's model. We moved from Texas to Wyoming in the year following, which involved 4 or 5 round trips of 2800 miles each, towing a 16x7 foot cargo trailer. Followed the factory schedule for oil and diff fluid changes. If it hasn't been run for a while it sometimes ticks at startup until the engine revs some, like after the first 20 feet of driving. I have towed a 27 foot travel trailer 900 miles as well. Been off road in some unmaintained and deeply rutted forest service "roads; the swaybar disconnect is amazing for that. The truck feels super competent offroad in mud and dirt. On the highway it is like a big cat, comfortable and stable, though the steering is a bit vague. I have read that replacing the Duratrac tires with some Toyos fixes that. We live on a road that is white snow or ice for 3 months, and the truck pretty much stayed in 4wd for a couple of months; it never even skidded, superb traction and more stable than my 2012 FJ or my 2004 Grand Cherokee with the automatic lockers. Mileage sucks; towing I would get about 9 mpg, loaded or unloaded, worse with a strong headwind. Regular city/highway about 12 to 15.
The ONLY problem I have had was the winch controller, the "in" function quit. In the woods of course, moving log for firewood. That's on Warn, though.
I have the 12 inch touch screen and 6 cameras, etc.; heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel (very nice this winter!) etc and have had no electrical issues. The Ram boxes are a bit askew but are water tight. The folding step for getting in the bed got recalled to get beefed up some; but that is it for problems so far.
It is my favorite vehicle ever, i think, though when gas gets back up to $4 a gallon I will not like it so much.

chris1126

RAMINA
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I only have 6500 miles on my 2020 that I bought new in August 2020. I gotta admit the engine sounds are not confidence inspiring (I do not idle mine as it is garage kept). I know the sounds are considered normal but still sounds like a manifold leak or exhaust leak or like someone released a box of crickets in the engine bay.
box of crickets :rotflmao:

Moondawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've owned a 6.4 392 (challenger) and a 5.7 with the 8 speed in my old 1500. I recently traded both for a 75th Pw, and I couldn't be happier with this truck. The interior, and all the new electronics are top notch, and people are blown away when they ride with me. I have yet to take it off road, but it drives and handles great on the road.

Ram Vendetta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Get A GOOD warranty! Ram 2015, 2500 6.4 blew Tranny at less then 50k and blew motor at 80k Roller lifters snap off and bounce off EVERYTHING on way down to pan. Always, no matter WHAT you hear/read use the recommended oil, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 oil. Make sure it’s NOT the euro version and has currently Meets Chrysler’s standard MS-12633. The newer pennzoil oil will state on back of bottle MS-A0912 . Now after Jan or Feb of this year MS-A0912 spec supersedes MS-12633. Thus your warranty will NOT be voided for using it written to me straight from Shell (which owns pennzoil) & FCA. As far as warranty and blown motor the FIRST THING dealer does is set up appt for FCA to remove and oil sample. Proper oil they pay. Not proper spec oil WARRANTY VOID!

big-red-truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2020 PW, Purchased it last Oct. We have been 4 wheeling in it, and towing with it quite a lot, pretty much pushed it to its limits - love it, haven't had a single issue with it