Is there a "certified air suspension technician"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and suggestions so far. You people are great. Since it's the day before Thanksgiving, I'm waiting until Monday to call the dealer to schedule service and arrange for a tow. I have another car I can drive in the meantime, so not an emergency. I'll check the fuse this afternoon and see what I find. Updates to follow. Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

Hi steven_sbs,

If you are in need of any additional support while your truck is in service, please know that our team is just a PM away and more than happy to help.

Mark
RamCares

OP
OP
steven_sbs

steven_sbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just pull the fuse out and put a new one in. Just do it with the key off.

As I said a few posts up.

Once it gets cold the systems start to act up, they will accidentally vent some of the nitrogen, then the system is low, overworks the compressor and either blows a fuse or the compressor itself. This is by far the most common issue I come across on the air suspension trucks. Air suspension trucks that park in a heated garage overnight during the winter seem to be the worst for this. The big temperature changes cause moisture build up in the system.

If your lucky it’s just low and getting the air mass topped up will fix the issue. If not you may need a compressor. There is an updated compressor/valve block that has new seals that’s supposed to help prevent that issue but it still happens.

UPDATE:
I bought a new fuse (actually bought 2). A whopping $5.00 each. Popped out the old fuse, popped in the new one, now the truck goes up and down like it should. Fixed... for now. Today was a warm day, 50 degrees or so. I'll give it a day or two when the temps go down to the 30's overnight and test it again in the morning. If it holds for a few days, then maybe it's OK to drive. I still want to take it someplace to have everything checked out. Something made the fuse blow. But thanks to everyone's help here, at least I'm back on the road for now. You all are a great help. Thank you.

tom martley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have a 2017 RAM 1500 Sport with air suspension. I got the error message "service air suspension immediately" this morning. The truck is sitting as low as it will go. I called my local RAM service, they told me their "certified air suspension technician" quit two weeks ago and they have not replaced him yet. Told me to call a specific dealer a few towns away. I called the second dealer, they told me they didn't have a certified tech either and didn't know why the first dealer would send me to them. I called a third service department and they said there is no such thing as a certified air suspension tech, any of their guys would be willing to try and fix my truck.

So the question: Is there such thing as a certified air ride suspension technician? Or did the first two places just not want to work on my truck and were blowing me off? Is this something any tech can work on and fix correctly the first time?

tom martley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I had a 2014 Long Horn with air suspension that never got fixed. Went flat 3 times. Dealer told me the computer said nothing was wrong so they could fix nothing. Just refilled with nitrogen. No such thing as certified tech., must mean someone who went to school for suspension. I had same thing. You are getting ****** around. I complained to Ram Customer support. They are very well aware of problem but are not going to do anything.
They paid for all my problems, 2 in warranty, 1 out of warranty, for $1,000. I traded truck in the day after I got it back from dealer. Complain, complain, complain to Ram and hold their to the fire. They gave an xtra $2k off price on new 2019 Limited with updated air suspension. 5000 miles so far, best ride I ever had in truck and most vehicles. Nicest vehicle I have ever owned, hope it stays that way.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE:
I bought a new fuse (actually bought 2). A whopping $5.00 each. Popped out the old fuse, popped in the new one, now the truck goes up and down like it should. Fixed... for now. Today was a warm day, 50 degrees or so. I'll give it a day or two when the temps go down to the 30's overnight and test it again in the morning. If it holds for a few days, then maybe it's OK to drive. I still want to take it someplace to have everything checked out. Something made the fuse blow. But thanks to everyone's help here, at least I'm back on the road for now. You all are a great help. Thank you.

That’s good to hear you got it straightened out for now but I would think that based on what tach tech said, I’d be heading to the dealer to have them suck everything out of your system and and have it replenished with all new, moisture-free nitrogen as that’s probably what caused your fuse to blow in the first place, was lack of nitrogen to keep the system aired up and to air it up once you started it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 2014 Long Horn with air suspension that never got fixed. Went flat 3 times. Dealer told me the computer said nothing was wrong so they could fix nothing. Just refilled with nitrogen. No such thing as certified tech., must mean someone who went to school for suspension. I had same thing. You are getting ****** around. I complained to Ram Customer support. They are very well aware of problem but are not going to do anything.
They paid for all my problems, 2 in warranty, 1 out of warranty, for $1,000. I traded truck in the day after I got it back from dealer. Complain, complain, complain to Ram and hold their to the fire. They gave an xtra $2k off price on new 2019 Limited with updated air suspension. 5000 miles so far, best ride I ever had in truck and most vehicles. Nicest vehicle I have ever owned, hope it stays that way.

It’s amazing how many times the dealer is usually the cause on some of this stuff, irregardless of the air suspension. Who cares if the computer says nothings wrong. Obviously there was a problem that needed looking into. Glad they got you squared away, tho. I’m just glad that hopefully the air suspension system on my early 18 Limited is updated enough that it should be trouble-free. But, as I said, I’ve got lifetime warranty on mine so anytime it wants to be a problem child, it’s on their dime to fix...[emoji18]

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Truck has the air suspension, not sure that it was worth the money...and our 2019 Grand Cherokee also has it.
A lot of Fords have it.
I would think there should be a number of shops that can work on it.
Probably just need a vacuum pump and a tank of nitrogen in addition to normal tools.
But I am thinking of selling mine. The shocks (with air bags) are about $900 each.

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2017 RAM 1500 Sport with air suspension. I got the error message "service air suspension immediately" this morning. The truck is sitting as low as it will go. I called my local RAM service, they told me their "certified air suspension technician" quit two weeks ago and they have not replaced him yet. Told me to call a specific dealer a few towns away. I called the second dealer, they told me they didn't have a certified tech either and didn't know why the first dealer would send me to them. I called a third service department and they said there is no such thing as a certified air suspension tech, any of their guys would be willing to try and fix my truck.

So the question: Is there such thing as a certified air ride suspension technician? Or did the first two places just not want to work on my truck and were blowing me off? Is this something any tech can work on and fix correctly the first time?
I suggest you try the old standby fix for many of today's high tech vehicle woes.
Disconnect the battery for about 20 minutes to let modules discharge.
Works for many of the electronic Gremlins and most all that 'cash cow', the check engine light

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Polecat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have after market Air Lift bags on mine and when one went bad, they sent a new one free. As for the winter, I spray some brake line anti freeze in the bags and have been all set.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I kinda chuckle when they say the computer says everyting is fine.

There is a module that you can connect to to read actual live air suspension data. With that, half a brain and some common sense, you can FIGURE OUT (what a novel concept!) what is wrong with the air suspension.

But, again, no CEL so no issue?

Plain and simple, pure laziness on the part of the dealer/service department/tech.

FCA wont hold the dealers to the fire for it, customers *try* to but in the end who will win?

The last thing I would be doing if they put me through crap like that is buying another FCA vehicle!

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I kinda chuckle when they say the computer says everyting is fine.

There is a module that you can connect to to read actual live air suspension data. With that, half a brain and some common sense, you can FIGURE OUT (what a novel concept!) what is wrong with the air suspension.

But, again, no CEL so no issue?

Plain and simple, pure laziness on the part of the dealer/service department/tech.

FCA wont hold the dealers to the fire for it, customers *try* to but in the end who will win?

The last thing I would be doing if they put me through crap like that is buying another FCA vehicle!

It’s not so much FCA won’t hold the dealer responsible. It’s that FCA won’t pay the dealer to spend time on a warranty complaint if there’s no issue at that time. FCA sets the standard that if the system is functioning correctly and there’s no code then they’re not going to reimburse the dealer/tech to spend a bunch of time trying to find a problem that’s not present at that time. Nobody wants to work for free so you end up with shops/techs that don’t want to touch your vehicle unless they know FCA is going to pay them for their time.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s not so much FCA won’t hold the dealer responsible. It’s that FCA won’t pay the dealer to spend time on a warranty complaint if there’s no issue at that time. FCA sets the standard that if the system is functioning correctly and there’s no code then they’re not going to reimburse the dealer/tech to spend a bunch of time trying to find a problem that’s not present at that time. Nobody wants to work for free so you end up with shops/techs that don’t want to touch your vehicle unless they know FCA is going to pay them for their time.

I’m pretty sure there’s probably not a whole lot he can do about it now warranty-wise bein’ that he’s already corrected the problem by replacing a burnt fuse but had he not done that, wouldn’t the fact that his system wasn’t airing up and that it was showing an error message on the heads-up display, not warrant enough reason to have it looked at?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I get it. But that is assuming all coding/engineering leads to a CEL. Mechanical issues are a thing, Im pretty sure they wont trigger a CEL.

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just pull the fuse out and put a new one in. Just do it with the key off.

As I said a few posts up.

Once it gets cold the systems start to act up, they will accidentally vent some of the nitrogen, then the system is low, overworks the compressor and either blows a fuse or the compressor itself. This is by far the most common issue I come across on the air suspension trucks. Air suspension trucks that park in a heated garage overnight during the winter seem to be the worst for this. The big temperature changes cause moisture build up in the system.

If your lucky it’s just low and getting the air mass topped up will fix the issue. If not you may need a compressor. There is an updated compressor/valve block that has new seals that’s supposed to help prevent that issue but it still happens.

Is the updated compressor Oem? If so, do you know what year they began using it?

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s a OE part. Was probably 2015ish when they released the updated one.

Okay thanks for the info. I have a 17 so it looks like I have the new design. There's so little out there about these systems, atleast that I've found, so I try to get all the info I can.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not hauling anything. Just got in it this morning and the message popped up. Drove it around town doing normal errands the past few days. I don't know what happened. Truck won't go up or down, just sitting as low as it can with the suspension lights thinking the truck is in normal ride height.
deleted.. didnt read before i commented

OP
OP
steven_sbs

steven_sbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New UPDATE... I had replaced the fuse two weeks ago and all was well... until yesterday. Fuse blew again. Error message to service suspension immedeatly. I have an appointment with the dealer for Monday. NOTE: It was really cold yesterday, 25 to 30 degrees. Drove the truck about 50 miles, suspension went up and down to adjust for loads. Then later in the day after it sat for a few hours I started it up again and got the error message. I'll let you all know what they dealer says next week.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
New UPDATE... I had replaced the fuse two weeks ago and all was well... until yesterday. Fuse blew again. Error message to service suspension immedeatly. I have an appointment with the dealer for Monday. NOTE: It was really cold yesterday, 25 to 30 degrees. Drove the truck about 50 miles, suspension went up and down to adjust for loads. Then later in the day after it sat for a few hours I started it up again and got the error message. I'll let you all know what they dealer says next week.

Hi Steven,

I apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with your truck. If we can be of any additional assistance as you are working with your dealer on this, please do not hesitate to send us a private message.

Mark
RamCares

MrDazana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The compressor will blow the fuse if it runs to long. Do you park your truck in a heated garage ?