Is this the HEMI TICK??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
So is this the infamous Hemi Tick?... Running Redline 5w20 for 2,700 miles so far with 5,600 miles total. Do have a catch can installed catching a good amount, installed at 3,116.3 miles.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Really hard to tell, does it sound like a metal on metal ting. Some of it just sounds like injector tick to me.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Borderline at best, but most of us go 5w30. A dealer wouldnt touch that. What did it sound like before redline?

read post in my sig for examples tick.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
A part of me thinks it’s metal on metal. And the other part thinks it’s almost a gas/air sound. Hmm yea I’m almost wondering injector too, just seemed a bit loud almost obnoxious.

Honestly before RedLine I don’t really recall hearing it. At least not this LONG. After the video eventually it died down some more I think. But maybe before RedLine it would do it shorter.

Just got off computer. Don’t see your sig on mobile.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
A part of me thinks it’s metal on metal. And the other part thinks it’s almost a gas/air sound. Hmm yea I’m almost wondering injector too, just seemed a bit loud almost obnoxious.

Honestly before RedLine I don’t really recall hearing it. At least not this LONG. After the video eventually it died down some more I think. But maybe before RedLine it would do it shorter.

Just got off computer. Don’t see your sig on mobile.

does this work??

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Awesome thank you!! Gonna read on through all that this week.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My 6.4l sounds just like that, and has for awhile, like at least 30k miles, I've been nervous about it but hasn't changed ever except I noticed it went away when I loaded the stock tune last week, doesn't really tell me what it is, but it eliminated my fear of lifter failure, atleast for the time being.
I like the injector idea.
A member who had a lifter fail and has rebuilt his 6.4l said his was obvious as hell and got worse very quickly. Like less than 1000 mi, I believe, from onset to no doubt. He has a 6.4l rebuild thread here with a lot of pics and some discussion. Oh he also found metal in his oil filter, lots of it.

lr%20ursi_zps0vbocvmj.jpg'16 RAM 2500 pw with a Badass Greene tune feed'n & Fire'n a 6.4L w 6spd
CAI / ARH LTs / Solo / 5.13 AAM / 35" Mickey MTs / DOR / Alfa / Custom Graphics / 4% VLT Tint

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
At least I’m not alone then and interesting about the filter.

I’m like 5 months and 2700 miles too late from when this filter was removed from the truck and me just now breaking it open (thanks to you), but here’s what I found after finally breaking open my first oil change filter. Looks great to me. Curious to see how the next one looks in April.

So I’m almost wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that I went to ethanol free... Reason I switched is because the truck sits and ethanol retains moisture. I’ve gotten 1-3mpg more and feels a bit more powerful. Sometimes the tops get a bit black, but that’s only downside I’ve noticed unless this “knock” is in regards to the ethanol free gas...

fa4b74c6934c82c89fa2ec3c78bcc266.jpg

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Filter looks good! No shiny bits so that's a bonus.
Using premium should reduce your possibility of knock/tick as it's not detonating earlier like cheaper fuels do. You gained that much mileage though?!? Lucky bugger! Lol but honestly seeing your filter I would keep the thought in the back of my head but I wouldn't be overly concerned at this point.

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
That is real close to what mine sounds like as well. Dealer told me it's normal (I'm no longer under warranty). I'll be switching to RL 5W-30 next change, just to see if it makes any difference.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Filter looks good! No shiny bits so that's a bonus.
Using premium should reduce your possibility of knock/tick as it's not detonating earlier like cheaper fuels do. You gained that much mileage though?!? Lucky bugger! Lol but honestly seeing your filter I would keep the thought in the back of my head but I wouldn't be overly concerned at this point.

Thanks man! I’m guessing shiny bits would mean newer engine wear?

I read that anything over 89 is a waste in our trucks, unless it’s been tuned for it. I did rock 93 when I was getting ethanol 10% and didn’t notice anything. Considering one tank will last me a month sometimes, maybe I should just go to 93 no ethanol.

Hah, but yep, was able to put that theory to the test during vacation this summer with ethanol free on way there and ethanol on way back.

Appreciate that man, you’re right. Really curious to see the next filter. I do one oil change a year. 1.5 years in and not even at 6k miles yet with RedLine 5w20 and Royal Purple filter with Catch Can this go round so can’t wait to check after winter. Also will be sending in a sample for oil analysis out of curiosity due to the above changes.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
That is real close to what mine sounds like as well. Dealer told me it's normal (I'm no longer under warranty). I'll be switching to RL 5W-30 next change, just to see if it makes any difference.

Glad I’m not alone. Please share if that helps! I don’t want to do the w-30 yet due to being under factory warranty and having the lifetime warranty, because if something goes wrong and they test the oil and it’s not w-20 like the engineers recommended in the manual, then they may decline the claim.

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds identical to mine. 2017 Lone Star, I've heard it as long as I can remember since buying the truck. I can really hear it with the windows down driving next to concrete barriers. I don't believe it's the dreaded "hemi tick" personally. I've always attributed it to injectors.

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine with 40k has that sound after it idles down after start up. It seems to go away once the then engine and fluids are warmed up. I was thinking maybe it was the exhaust? I still have manifolds.