Kicker Key 180.4 Amp install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP305R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 penastar Etorq
@HTXRamExp @Graygoose
So 7 hours and now my front speakers don’t work at all. I can hear them getting power from the amp but for some reason no signal is getting through my rear speakers and sub are still working as I didn’t touch those. I used the KISL put the positive and negative LF to one rca positive and negative RF to one rca then ran new wire and connected everything. Amp is getting power. Tried the detect radio: any ideas!???

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I did my install, at one point I had powered the speakers without a speaker being connected. The radio will see this and interpret it as a problem and cut signal to the speaker completely.

Depending on your radio, you can do a reset via the radio buttons, but as far as my 8.4 UAS radio goes, I don't believe there is a button procedure so I had to pull the in-line fuse for the radio in the engine bay near the battery.

After the reset it took a couple key cycles to get all the radio settings back, and my speakers worked again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP305R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 penastar Etorq
@HTXRamExp
hmm I’ll see if I can find the inline fuse for the radio any picture of this for an idea would be very appreciative. Thanks for all the help thus far. As far as key cycles I assume you mean turning the car on and off? I’m not getting any error codes which is good. Not sure why not having a speaker connected would effect anything as normally if I took a speaker out all the other speakers functioned normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

JP305R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 penastar Etorq
@HTXRamExp Also I didn’t re wire the door speaker just the dash. As I don’t know how the doors can be done without some serious gutting of the truck there is a computer module and huge metal plate and the dash blocking the area where the wires go through the rubber grommet. So a set of the speakers that was ran parallel technically is disconnected the dash speakers got rewired and the door speakers are on the same original parallel feed with the dash which are now “disconnected” and re wired. How the hell did you guys rewire the door speakers???I don’t see how you would acccess the rubber grommets without serious work.

Last edited:

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@HTXRamExp
Also I didn’t re wire the door speaker just the dash. As I don’t know how the doors can be done without some serious gutting of the truck there is a computer module and huge metal plate and the dash blocking the area where the wires go through the rubber grommet. So a set of the speakers that was ran parallel technically is disconnected the dash speakers got rewired and the door speakers are on the same original parallel feed with the dash which are now “disconnected” and re wired. How the hell did you guys rewire the door speakers???I don’t see how you would acccess the rubber grommets without serious work.

It was a chore getting the wires to and through the door connector, but not too devestating.

I pulled the rubber gromet off the door connector between the body and door. Unseated the connector so I had access to hole in the truck. I used a wire fishing tool and fed it down from the hole to the Footwell area. Attached my wire to the fishing tool and pulled it up through the gromet. Same tool/proecudure more or less to fish it through the gromet to the door side.

This was the state of my vehicle for the install, had a lot going on in addition to the amp/wires/speakers. Probably was easier, with more access.
de6cce30bb5a3783ffa001c61d94f198.jpg

Correct, key cycles I mean powering the radio on/off with the key.
Below are a couple pictures I found for the fuse. Not sure if all trucks have it, my 19 Classic w/ the 8.4 UAS radio did.

Engine bay, just inboard and aft of the battery.
4d77a3a8a8cea31d81a79d604bd7710a.jpg
c98cc95ea6bc605a913b3c110bf6667e.jpg

So you connected new wires to amp1 of the output harness and ran those to the dash speakers. And connected the OEM output speaker wires going to the door speakers to amp2 of the output harness?

Last edited:

JP305R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 penastar Etorq
@HTXRamExp
So you connected new wires to amp1 of the output harness and ran those to the dash speakers. And connected the OEM output speaker wires going to the door speakeR

exactly! Did you guys use a L2C or anything or just the amp to the radio like in your pics

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@HTXRamExp
So you connected new wires to amp1 of the output harness and ran those to the dash speakers. And connected the OEM output speaker wires going to the door speakeR

exactly! Did you guys use a L2C or anything or just the amp to the radio like in your pics

Just the amp and radio, with the radio detect button selected on the amp.

JP305R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 penastar Etorq
Just the amp and radio, with the radio detect button selected on the amp.

How many cycles we talking? Yea so I literally did the exact same thing as you leave backs factory with a sub installed. Only difference being how I only re wired the tweeters. I tried the default radio reset on settings didn’t make it work. Maybe since I got the 2020 5th gen it changes something...When I get home from work I’ll try the fuse reset. Near the engine I hope to God this works other wise I don’t really know what to do other then uninstall and return it all. Thanks so much for all the help. Really appreciate it my man.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
did you set radio flat, and ONLY have the 4 speakers hooked up during auto EQ setup?
On the KEY, do you have one speaker per channel hooked up, and everything else unpluged ? Are you sure each channel of the amp is at 4 ohm?

JP305R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 penastar Etorq
did you set radio flat, and ONLY have the 4 speakers hooked up during auto EQ setup?
On the KEY, do you have one speaker per channel hooked up, and everything else unpluged ? Are you sure each channel of the amp is at 4 ohm?
Yes one speaker per channel the rear speakers aren’t connected at all.
Auto EQ set up? I plugged everything in and it’s powering the speakers that are connected to the amp but when I turn on the radio it doesn’t play any sound except through the rear speakers which aren’t connected to the amp.Each speaker connected is 4ohm. do I need to do a set up before it plays any sound at all? I tried the pink noise button and nothing If so how do I do that? I called kicker they recommended getting the load adder called the kicker kISLOAD2

JP305R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 penastar Etorq
@Graygoose @HTXRamExp
Ok maybe I’m a dumb...this might be stupid but I was under the impression that when I connected everything atleast sound should be playing through the speakers before auto EQ set up process using the mic. Is that correct or does the setup start to make it all work???

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes one speaker per channel the rear speakers aren’t connected at all.
Auto EQ set up? I plugged everything in and it’s powering the speakers that are connected to the amp but when I turn on the radio it doesn’t play any sound except through the rear speakers which aren’t connected to the amp.Each speaker connected is 4ohm. do I need to do a set up before it plays any sound at all? I tried the pink noise button and nothing If so how do I do that? I called kicker they recommended getting the load adder called the kicker kISLOAD2

How are the dip switches set??
I had the same issue when I first connected mine for the front, turns out i believe it was the biamp switch needed to be off until you auto eq the fronts....After connecting it the rears were not enough fill so......
Here is a pic with my amp working but not with the auto equalizer set....
This Key is actually powering my rear speakers only

20210226_091002.jpg

JP305R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 penastar Etorq
Ok so mine the limiter lights don’t turn on but the power lights on the other side do. I can’t check my setting until I get home.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok so mine the limiter lights don’t turn on but the power lights on the other side do. I can’t check my setting until I get home.
Iimiter lights will flash on startup then shut off unless theres a problem but power stays on.
If you read the instructions it says set radio equalizer to middle and volume to 3/4 then adjust gains till limiter lights flicker/light up then turn gain down till no lights.
I personally dont like it so high cuz when turning radio volume up setting 5 is almost too much for normal driving and 1 is not soft enough
Of course volume is a personal thing....lol

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
The KISLOAD will trick out the amp, so if it doesn't detect a speaker, it wont. But now, if your running as just a 4 channel amp, you dont neeed auto eq. Only when you biamp.

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd verify all your connections both +/- alignment and physical connectors
Verify your dip switches. You'll want fader off, bi-amp on. I think one thing that got me was that unlike all the rest, fader off is switched down, not up.
Then do the radio reset.

You should still get sound out of the speakers before you do the auto EQ. The mic even has a button that lets you toggle between tuned and untuned to hear the difference.

JP305R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 penastar Etorq
The KISLOAD will trick out the amp, so if it doesn't detect a speaker, it wont. But now, if your running as just a 4 channel amp, you dont neeed auto eq. Only when you biamp.
Your saying the kisload won’t make any difference?

JP305R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 penastar Etorq
I'd verify all your connections both +/- alignment and physical connectors
Verify your dip switches. You'll want fader off, bi-amp on. I think one thing that got me was that unlike all the rest, fader off is switched down, not up.
Then do the radio reset.

You should still get sound out of the speakers before you do the auto EQ. The mic even has a button that lets you toggle between tuned and untuned to hear the difference.

Wife wanted me to help her with some stuff but I had started to double check all the connections and already found one mistake corrected it. Gonna finish tomorrow double checking and for the in line fuse just pull it out and stick it back in? Also what size fuse did you run for your power for the amp to the battery?

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wife wanted me to help her with some stuff but I had started to double check all the connections and already found one mistake corrected it. Gonna finish tomorrow double checking and for the in line fuse just pull it out and stick it back in? Also what size fuse did you run for your power for the amp to the battery?

Yeah I just pulled it, waited 15 -20 seconds and stuck it back in.

I used the supplied fuse for the battery power supply, not sure what it was exactly off hand.