Krown Rust proofing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cougs57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, I get black markings at the front of the rocker panel area of my white truck, they look just like paint runs, but they arent paint (still all that undercoating creeping along)

Id much rather look at those than rust!
Exactly. I have been too lazy to take some cleaning chemicals as I just dont care at this point.
One of my previous cars had a "rock guard" sprayed on below the door molding line, from the factory. It was crystal clear but looked and felt rough. The "bumps" were similar to the texture of a golf ball...Im not sure if that helped absorb or deflect rocks better, or if it worked just because it was thicker, but there werent very many chips on the lower doors of that car (then again, it was a car, so not too high off the ground)

DupliColor makes one: https://duplicolor.com/product/rocker-guard but Im guessing there are better versions out there.
One of my old cars had this as well (98 Galant). Worked very well. This protection agnet they use I think is this exactly but they just do not color match anymore so it is only in black. That is why I told them to only cover the body pinch weld (lip) and not much more as it would look quite stupid IMO. Again, I do a lot of plowing and there is so much calcium chloride on the roads around here in the winter its just acid and eats anything and everything.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I think there is a Krown dealer here in the area where I live now. I had the stealership do their rust proofing and paid for it. Should I check out the Krown? I live in Upstate NY where there is nothing but salt used everywhere in the winter.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would check out Krown. The only "installer" I have around here uses Fluid Film.

FF is better than nothing for sure, but I like the others better so I DIY it. If I had a Krown or Corrosion Free dealer near me, chances are Id let them do it.

Curious what the dealer applies (if anything) when you pay them for rust proofing.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think there is a Krown dealer here in the area where I live now. I had the stealership do their rust proofing and paid for it. Should I check out the Krown? I live in Upstate NY where there is nothing but salt used everywhere in the winter.

Some of our Canadians swear by known. Where are they located in ny ? Thanks

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab

I believe it is located in Marcy NY....I need to check to make sure.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, there's a few Krown shops in the Buffalo NY area now. Like said, it used to be a Canada only thing. I just had my 2017 Ram treated with Krown a week or so ago. $159+tax. I'm not sure on the quality of the application. Guess I'll never really know. They did drill one hole in each of the doors. I can't tell if they got into the bed, fender areas or tailgate.

LemmysDad

Chairman of the bored.
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Our Canadian military tested Krown, Rust Proof and Corrosion Free years ago and chose to use Krown for their 15 truck fleet lol
Nevertheless it does say something for Krown’s effectiveness. They may still be using those vehicles due to budget restraints.

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
We have a Krown in southeast PA and I will gladly drive 2 hours each way, once a year for that protection. When you see RAMs going down the road with fenders and rockers that are rotted to hell after 5 years in the salt, it's a bargain.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wish there was a Krown near me but the closest is an 8 hour drive. I'd have no problem paying for that annually...

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
For those who have had their Rams treated with Krown, did they drill anywhere else other than one hole per door on yours?

I've had people claim they removed the taillights to spray inside the bed. I have zero indication that they did that to mine.

Overall I'm disappointed with my ~$163 all-in Krown job. A couple heavy rains and you absolutely cannot tell the truck was sprayed with anything. I realize it's the amount of zinc and whatnot in the magic oil spray that sticks around and does it's thing.. but still. I'd like to see something.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^Not that I can see. I asked to take it easy on the holes last year and the guy doing mine said he would only need a couple because the Rams have many access holes for them to use built right in.

I am getting mine done for the second time next Thursday.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
For those who have had their Rams treated with Krown, did they drill anywhere else other than one hole per door on yours?

I've had people claim they removed the taillights to spray inside the bed. I have zero indication that they did that to mine.

Overall I'm disappointed with my ~$163 all-in Krown job. A couple heavy rains and you absolutely cannot tell the truck was sprayed with anything. I realize it's the amount of zinc and whatnot in the magic oil spray that sticks around and does it's thing.. but still. I'd like to see something.

They also don’t need to drill in the door sills. There are access ports on the underside of the vehicle. Dodgedod most of the work.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For those who have diy-ed it: front fender, where the hemi emblem attaches there is tape on the inside of the fender.

Do you leave the tape there and spray or get rid of the tape and spray, leaving no tape in place?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For those who have diy-ed it: front fender, where the hemi emblem attaches there is tape on the inside of the fender.

Do you leave the tape there and spray or get rid of the tape and spray, leaving no tape in place?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Yeah that tape is stuck on with some industrial adhesive. I just spray over it. If anyone knows how to get that tape off please let us know...

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah that tape is stuck on with some industrial adhesive. I just spray over it. If anyone knows how to get that tape off please let us know...

Thanks!

I did just that...sprayed right over it. This years application took far less time than last years, since its not my first time and I removed the inner wheel wells ahead of time (only the fronts this year....last year I did the rears).

I think the inner liners will prevent a lot of washout of the coating, could probably get away with doing them every other year, so Ill alternate between front and rear every year. I didnt go nuts under the pickup bed this year, since the rear wheel well liners were still in place. I did manage to shoot some up into the "wheel well within a wheel well" from underneath the truck without removing anything.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks!

I did just that...sprayed right over it. This years application took far less time than last years, since its not my first time and I removed the inner wheel wells ahead of time (only the fronts this year....last year I did the rears).

I think the inner liners will prevent a lot of washout of the coating, could probably get away with doing them every other year, so Ill alternate between front and rear every year. I didnt go nuts under the pickup bed this year, since the rear wheel well liners were still in place. I did manage to shoot some up into the "wheel well within a wheel well" from underneath the truck without removing anything.
Np.

Seriously that tape is held on with some ridiculous adhesive. I tried a screwdriver, putty knife, and a gasket scraper. All I ended up doing was scratching what little paint is on the inside of the fender.

That "wheel well in a wheel well" is where they rot out, especially the 3rd gens. I'm starting to see some 09s and 10s with bubbles around the rear wheel wells...

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Np.

Seriously that tape is held on with some ridiculous adhesive. I tried a screwdriver, putty knife, and a gasket scraper. All I ended up doing was scratching what little paint is on the inside of the fender.

That "wheel well in a wheel well" is where they rot out, especially the 3rd gens. I'm starting to see some 09s and 10s with bubbles around the rear wheel wells...

Yep, my Frontier rotted out there and I had no idea there was even a spot like that until it was too late (paint bubbling above wheel well). But my Frontier didnt have inner liners in the rear, like the RAM does. Im sure some dirt/sand/salt/water gets up there even on the RAM, but most likely far less because the liner prevents it.

I must have unloaded a quart worth of undercoating on the two "wheel wells within the wheel well" last year, so they should still be plenty protected. And whatever got up there is probably stuck in the oil so it helps even more...which leads me to another question - are we better off pressure washing before re-applying, or just re-applying over the coat of whatever is there? I feel like even with the dirt stuck to the oil, Im better off leaving it all and spraying oil right over it. if I ever want to see body color again Ill just blast it all off with the pressure washer.