Lack of dealer stock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DsrtRat08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been contemplating trading in my 2017 1500 for a new 2500. I love my truck but I have been wanting better ground clearance, crew cab and still have a 6 1/2 foot bed and the larger hemi. We are also considering a travel trailer in the near future. Surprisingly my wife was being a bad influence yesterday and said lets go check out the new trucks. The dealer was just about cleaned out and had nothing on the lot that fit my requirements. The closest they had were a couple used ones (2019) that were similar and asking 47k. I asked about special order and we built a truck that came to 55k msrp and 52k invoice. They said if interested I could place a $1000 deposit and they would sell the new build at the invoice price of 52k and deal with finance/trade/rebates at time of delivery. I was quoted a current build time of approx 12 weeks. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to where rebates/incentives will be at in that time frame. I noticed that when the pandemic first hit dealers were practically giving vehicles away and now the only incentive for 2500 Big Horn model is $500 for my area according to the Ram truck website. Is this the norm for these or just low because dealer stock is so low?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
An example of supply and demand at it's finest.

With that said $500 seems low. I just checked my local dealer on line and they are offering anywhere from $2500-$8500 off what they have in stock depending on trim level (+ other incentives like military etc). I still feel that is low but given the circumstances it is what it is. Some of those were dependent on financing with them and other rules so not all may apply.
Now only 1 of those trucks was a gas truck (they just aren't big sellers in the HD line up here) and it was the lowest discount. It was a $500 incentive and the dealer was offering another $2k off msrp so $2500 total.

Discounts on the diesel trucks were higher and they had more of them available. Price difference between the gas and diesel with the same trim was only $5k.

In your case it sounds like ordering is a better deal regardless of what the incentives might be? They are already offering $3k off msrp vs. $500 on the one on the lot now. However I would be skeptical of the 12 week build time right now. With everything going on I would bet money they are behind in production.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
^ x2, order what you want. I would negotiate the hell out of it too, don't settle for their first offer especially since they apparently don't have much to sell.

OP
OP
DsrtRat08

DsrtRat08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your a veteran and a usaa member... usaa offers a $1000 off coupon/certificate on the purchase of new and most used Ram trucks.

Black 20 Ram
Thanks for the heads up. USAA member. I didn't think to check into them for discounts. Also as @mtnrider mentioned I'm not too confident in the 12 week quote for the build time, on their end and mine. I would hate to be out the $1000 deposit if for some reason at the end of the 12 week period I can't financially take delivery of the truck. Right now I'm leaning toward waiting for some stability to return and order then. Sometimes waiting sucks but its not like I NEED to get it as soon as possible.

Last edited:

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Current lack of dealer stock is not only trucks, but also RV and motorcycles dealers.

I am anticipating a glut of used RVs in about 3 years as folks find the RV life is not as carefree as they thought. I wonder how many are financing them today, and will find the depreciation to be much more than expected. Folks selling their used RVs are reporting bidding wars for models under 5 years old. Others are getting asking prices at top NADA rates.

Harley dealerships are selling out of the $40k+ models. The lower $ models are at MSRP if not higher.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
I work at a Toyota dealership and we have excactly ZERO Tundras and 3 Tacomas on the lot. When supply is that low, you pay tip-top dollar. That being said, if you have a truck to trade in you are also getting top dollar for that.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Historically, 15-20% off MSRP is a good deal. Everything is crazy right now so you might not be able to get that. Ordering also complicates things. Your profile just says "US" so I have no idea where you are but Dennis Dillon in Idaho is a great place to buy. They have great prices and claim that ordering will get the same discount. You can at least use them to comparison shop and/or use to bargain with your local dealer.

OP
OP
DsrtRat08

DsrtRat08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Historically, 15-20% off MSRP is a good deal. Everything is crazy right now so you might not be able to get that. Ordering also complicates things. Your profile just says "US" so I have no idea where you are but Dennis Dillon in Idaho is a great place to buy. They have great prices and claim that ordering will get the same discount. You can at least use them to comparison shop and/or use to bargain with your local dealer.
Southern Nevada but I'm always down for a road trip in a new truck. I will check them out

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Here in Michigan if you don't take the vehicle they have to give the deposit back. Ask about it.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man, if money was no object, I'd order a diesel.

I ordered my last 2 vehicles. Got exactly what I wanted. Paid cash. That's the way to buy a vehicle.

INNATRUCK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Perhaps I can shine some light on this. Yes, many dealers have lower then normal inventory due to shutdown period of both factories *and* transport companies. I haul cars for a living, and I was laid off for around 2.5 months, and we're not a small company either.
Between the lack of production and lack of transport, many dealers have a lack of inventory. I got called back in the third week of June, and we've been shipping units as fast as we can since.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Perhaps I can shine some light on this. Yes, many dealers have lower then normal inventory due to shutdown period of both factories *and* transport companies. I haul cars for a living, and I was laid off for around 2.5 months, and we're not a small company either.
Between the lack of production and lack of transport, many dealers have a lack of inventory. I got called back in the third week of June, and we've been shipping units as fast as we can since.

This seems to be a common pattern across many industries. I'm in the same boat working in housing. Pretty much no work for +/- two months. Now there's more work than I know what to do with.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
yup, not many 1500 around here, but locally, I see 2500s...maybe worth a drive, look further out, may be worth a drive.

OP
OP
DsrtRat08

DsrtRat08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all of the input. I think I may take the gamble and throw the order in within the next month or two. 12 weeks build time is being optimistic and that's right about the time of year all of the year end rebates start to make an appearance. After looking at current stock I think I want to stick to my order with the exception of changing the color from Delmonico Red to Granite Crystal.

INNATRUCK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also for what's it's worth, I just delivered a pair of 1500 Rebel's today, and the guy at the dealer was happy because they had only been built 4 days ago.
Granted, they're built in Sterling Heights, and were only going to a dealer 3 hours away, but still.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I see the storage lots on Conner between Mack and Jefferson where they store new trucks is pretty bare.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I see the storage lots on Conner between Mack and Jefferson where they store new trucks is pretty bare.
What's U B doin down in the hood? ..LOL
There were more Jeeps in the lot off 8 Mile and Mound the other day. Usually there are several hundred new Ram Trucks awaiting to be shipped in that lot. The Mopar Custom Shop at 16 Mile/Van **** has been crazy busy!

Big Cheddar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 PW
Engine
6.4 Liter Hemi
I Ordered my Power Wagon on 07-25-2020. Nothing even close to what I wanted anywhere close to where I live. The only Public incentive they were offering then. Was $ 750.00 for the HD. Up from $500.00. But I'm lucky enough to Work for a Company that has an affiliate Program with Chrysler. He assured me that I would get any Incentives/ Rebates available at Delivery. If memory serves. Last year Started getting incentives in Late August. By November they were about as good as they were going to get. They also told me 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. When I placed my order. But when I checked online. Fleet Orders are 12 to 14 Weeks out. Like you . My Current Truck is fine. Until my PW arrives.