Long startup after truck sitting for a night or two

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottherzog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
Good afternoon everyone, wanted to get some input.

I removed the jump seat and replaced it with the center console about a month ago. conveniently 2-3 weeks later, I started experiencing a hard start, or a lengthy startup in the morning. Probably about 5-8 clicks before it starts up "fine". I unplugged the center console and the problem persists...

I took the truck into the auto shop and they said that it was most likely an issue with the fuel pump and theyd keep it for a few days to see if the problem persists/were able to recreate the issue. They stated that there were no issues with the battery that they could see.

Dropped it off last Thursday, and they have not been able to recreate any of the issues ive been having and theyve started it up 4-5 times, leaving it sit for two days over the weekend. They hooked up the scanner to the truck and the only module on the truck they could not connect to is the Engine Control Module. They havent been able to connect to that module since i dropped it off on Thursday.

Is not being able to connect to the ECM grounds to replace that unit, or should I take it to another shop to see if they have better luck?

Thanks for the input

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good afternoon everyone, wanted to get some input.

I removed the jump seat and replaced it with the center console about a month ago. conveniently 2-3 weeks later, I started experiencing a hard start, or a lengthy startup in the morning. Probably about 5-8 clicks before it starts up "fine". I unplugged the center console and the problem persists...

I took the truck into the auto shop and they said that it was most likely an issue with the fuel pump and theyd keep it for a few days to see if the problem persists/were able to recreate the issue. They stated that there were no issues with the battery that they could see.

Dropped it off last Thursday, and they have not been able to recreate any of the issues ive been having and theyve started it up 4-5 times, leaving it sit for two days over the weekend. They hooked up the scanner to the truck and the only module on the truck they could not connect to is the Engine Control Module. They havent been able to connect to that module since i dropped it off on Thursday.

Is not being able to connect to the ECM grounds to replace that unit, or should I take it to another shop to see if they have better luck?

Thanks for the input
No - they need to do some more tests and try some simple fixes first:

- Reset the ECM

- Reflash the ECM

- Test ECM ground

- Check power to ECM

How old is the battery? If 4 years old; I'd replace that first even if it tests good.

OP
OP
S

scottherzog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
battery is 1 year old from Autozone.

it really seems like they havent done anything with it other than try to start it each day to see if they can recreate the issue... to no avail.

I have an appointment at the shop back by my childhood home as we do trust them a lot with our familys cars. just didnt want to drive it 30 miles to get it looked at.

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

it really seems like they havent done anything with it other than try to start it each day to see if they can recreate the issue... to no avail.

I have an appointment at the shop back by my childhood home as we do trust them a lot with our familys cars. just didnt want to drive it 30 miles to get it looked at.

You're in Michigan with a 2014 - rust can cause a lot of issues.

OP
OP
S

scottherzog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
ive taken it to autozone and they said that the battery/starter/alternator was working fine (with that testing machine they hook up to the battery).

I will continue to keep the appointment at the auto shop back home for next wednesday and see if they can help resolve, while also making contact with the ECM.

Thank you for your advise Jane!

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're in Michigan with a 2014 - rust can cause a lot of issues.
Check all of your grounds under the hood they are located along drivers side and passenger side fenders, a bad ground will give you all kinds of problems, go back to that console install, could anything not be connected.

OP
OP
S

scottherzog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
Check all of your grounds under the hood they are located along drivers side and passenger side fenders, a bad ground will give you all kinds of problems, go back to that console install, could anything not be connected.
maybe some of the wiring behind the head unit had gotten messed up from banging around taking the bezel out? the head unit functions properly as does everything else in the dash. id imagine that if a wire was disconnected, it wouldnt work proper? for the console install, i left the two cigarette lighter ports disconnected, as well as when the problem started, i unplugged the console, so the connections are sitting empty under the drivers seat.

auto-shop said that there was only half a volt or less battery drain from Friday afternoon - Monday (today) am, so there isnt anything really draining the battery apparently?

Lee Peterson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Next time its taking a long time to start recycle the key, it could be the fuel pump losing prime.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It can absolutely be your fuel pump, more specifically the check valve in the fuel pump. Bleed down will cause a long crank. Easiest way to check is with a pressure gauge. Check the pressure when you park, it should not bleed down more than 20% or so after sitting.

thebearded1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic
Engine
It can absolutely be your fuel pump, more specifically the check valve in the fuel pump. Bleed down will cause a long crank. Easiest way to check is with a pressure gauge. Check the pressure when you park, it should not bleed down more than 20% or so after sitting.
wonder if this could be my issue with my ram. after sitting overnight it will idle very poorly on a cold start and some times cutout then when you start it again it's fine.

I feel your pain on this one I have zero confidence in the dealer near me. My first truck they couldn't figure out the idle issue and I ended up selling it back though the nightmare lemon law process. If they can't figure it out soon i'm taking it to another dealer.

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Can you also, turn the truck on to auxiliary for a minute or two before going to start? Would this pressurize the fuel system properly?

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Can you also, turn the truck on to auxiliary for a minute or two before going to start? Would this pressurize the fuel system properly?
You could turn the truck to run (2nd position or double push with no brake), 1st position does not turn on all systems. That's actually a much easier test than the fuel gauge and a great idea!

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fuel pressure regulator . Not sure on your model. It may be part of the pump assembly . 90’s chevys had these issues a lot . In my experience

MAC830203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 408
A simple fuel gauge tester is a start. Grounds are another. Took me a long time to find a short…. Sometimes it’s a MAP issue. Hard to diagnose when it starts. Check where you drive before you park. Might be water….

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had similar issues with my ram, had to wait a few seconds with key on before cranking or would take 10 seconds to start. Thought injector leaking down or pump losing pressure, but I replaced battery and it never happened again? Strange but true lol