My bilstein safe @ 2.1 and I have ball joint issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My bilstein set @ 2.1 and I have ball joint issues

I put my leveling shocks on about 2k miles ago and I was checking the ball joints while installing my exhaust and found this. Now I went ahead and ordered the UCAs and they came in and I do have them painted and ready. Just a warning for those who think they are safe. Add the UCAs.

Luke

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put my leveling shocks on about 2k miles ago and I was checking the ball joints while installing my exhaust and found this. Now I went ahead and ordered the UCAs and they came in and I do have them painted and ready. Just a warning for those who think they are safe. Add the UCAs.

Luke

I thought the general consensus was to go ahead and replace them with any lift just to be safe. Glad yours didn't separate.

OP
OP
lukedukem

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This ain't good. Guess I'll be driving the old cummins to dealer tomorrow. F me. Every time I try to do something, s#%$ happens. WTF
Anyone replaced one before. Any instructions on how. Thanks n
Luke.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This ain't good. Guess I'll be driving the old cummins to dealer tomorrow. F me. Every time I try to do something, s#%$ happens. WTF
Anyone replaced one before. Any instructions on how. Thanks n
Luke.

Holy **** dude. How'd you do that?

OP
OP
lukedukem

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had my torque wrench set at 120, which is what I thought these where to be tightened at. The other side went in no problem, but this one kept turning and getting tighter. Then BAM! Fudge. There's no way the dealer will warranty this. And I don't think I have the tools to do this. Not sure yet. Guess I can have a shop replace them for me. Should've had him do the lift in the first place. Oh well.

Luke

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn! That sucks !
When I installed mine I researched the tq specs and I found many for the uca Balljoint from 48 +90° to 50 - 150 ft lbs ? Even got two diff answers from diff techs at dealership ?
I settled @ 90ftlbs & I had no issues , after 1,000 miles I tq checked everything for the install and nothing moved and so far with Mevotecs & Bils @2.8 " and about 8,500 miles no issues at all . I run it pretty hard sometimes in 4x4 if needed during deer season , so far very happy with the level .
Sorry to hear of your situation Sir !

f5038e06e08c0c71a2c1b0d3c5f54f2b.jpg

LOL I take no credit for this rendition of me gone hunting LOL
AUSTINB IS THE ARTIST

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Sorry to see that.

Think I wold see about gong with something different if it is going to crack that easily.

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just looking at your upper control arm it seems like it's at quite a bit more angle then my bils do at 2.8

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Holy hell that sucks! At least you have the Mevotechs ready to go...

I had read on here somewhere that the knuckle is SUPER brittle. Some people were cracking them like that just by taking a hammer to them to get the ball joint to separate from the knuckle.

These are the torque specs I used when I installed my QLLs from 2009 Factory Service Manual:

Upper BallJoint - 40ft/lbs, 90degree turn
Tie Rod - 45ft/lbs, 90degree turn
Stabilazer Link - Upper - 20ft/lbs, Lower - 75ft/lbs
Strut - Upper - 43.5ft/lbs, Lower - 155ft/lbs
So far no issues...

Good luck and let us know how things go

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a spare set of factory steering knuckles if you want to buy one. I'll hook ya up if you want to wait on the shipping from Morgantown, WV. I'd need to know tonight so I can ship I tomorrow as I'm leaving on business this week and won't have time to ship it after Monday. 35,000 miles on it and in great condition.

Adam

OP
OP
lukedukem

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just looking at your upper control arm it seems like it's at quite a bit more angle then my bils do at 2.8

My truck is on my lift so it's just sort of hanging there. Looks worse than it is.

Luke

OP
OP
lukedukem

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn! That sucks !
When I installed mine I researched the tq specs and I found many for the uca Balljoint from 48 +90° to 50 - 150 ft lbs ? Even got two diff answers from diff techs at dealership ?
I settled @ 90ftlbs & I had no issues , after 1,000 miles I tq checked everything for the install and nothing moved and so far with Mevotecs & Bils @2.8 " and about 8,500 miles no issues at all . I run it pretty hard sometimes in 4x4 if needed during deer season , so far very happy with the level .
Sorry to hear of your situation Sir !

f5038e06e08c0c71a2c1b0d3c5f54f2b.jpg

LOL I take no credit for this rendition of me gone hunting LOL
AUSTINB IS THE ARTIST

I think I might have had it to high. I saw 70 for upper ball joint and 120 for UCA bolts. Should've used 100 or so and be done with it. Oh well.

Luke

OP
OP
lukedukem

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to see that.

Think I wold see about gong with something different if it is going to crack that easily.

Not sure how I want to handle this, go factory or not. My cousin works in parts and I get them at cost which helps.

I have a spare set of factory steering knuckles if you want to buy one. I'll hook ya up if you want to wait on the shipping from Morgantown, WV. I'd need to know tonight so I can ship I tomorrow as I'm leaving on business this week and won't have time to ship it after Monday. 35,000 miles on it and in great condition.

Adam

I do appreciate the offer, but I haven't decided on what to go with. Thanks.

Luke

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take the leveling kit off and see if the dealer warranties it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
lukedukem

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take the leveling kit off and see if the dealer warranties it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i thought about that but in the pics you can see where i used a hammer to help get the ball joint out.... pretty sure they will spot that and say something....
but I'm going to stop by there anyway to see if they have the parts and show them the pic and ask what they think. my dealer is a pain to work with on this crap... i know from my old truck...

Luke

OP
OP
lukedukem

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: dealer said they don't think that ram will cover it. They would have to take pics and send them in and with the aftermarket UCAs and shocks, they don't think it's gonna happen. It would cost 4-500 to install. Plus 225.00 for the part. So I'll be installing it tomorrow when it gets in, they had to order it from Dallas. no big deal.

Luke

OP
OP
lukedukem

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone know the size of the nut to take off the hub.

Last edited: