Need better Locking Hitch Pin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haleme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What are people with 2 1/2" receivers using for a locking hitch pin?

I got a Reese 7070700 from Tractor Supply and the lock barrel keeps binding.

I have to keep spraying WD40 into it every time I use it despite the lock being kept out of the elements except when I tow our trailer.

Looking for better locking hitch pins that don't need constant lubing to work as intended.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine

1684597570203.png

1684597491166.png

It keys to your valet key of your truck. No more lost lock key and it also seems to stay clean pretty good with the cover.

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well first WD40 is a no no for locks. Graphite spray is what you should be using. I have a cheap autozone hitch pin that I’ve had for a few years and I’ve used graphite spray in it twice but I’ve never had it seize up. I’ve looked at getting the one listed above just because I like that idea

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I use the Bolt Lock on my trucks, never had a problem as the lock cover works well. I do spray them occasionally with Houdini lock spray

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'll third the Bolt Lock and need to use a good lock graphite to lube. Another good thing to lube any locks that are subject to the outside elements is Superlube.

OP
OP
haleme

haleme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply and suggestion on the Bolt Lock. Will be heading over to O'Reilly to pick up one this afternoon.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Make sure what you buy is rated for the stress of towing. Case in point: Bulletproof hitches direct to not use the locking pin when towing, only when not moving or hitch not connected to trailer.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Up until 2021 I used a nut and bolt as the pin in all my hitches. Removing them was more work than most will do to steal a hitch and they tied the hitch tight. The only locking pin I have ever used is the Bolt. After 2 years it shows no evidence of any wear, scuffing or grooves from pulling with it in place. I have a great deal of difficulty seeing how a standard tow pin with a clevis/spring clip is any better than these.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Make sure what you buy is rated for the stress of towing. Case in point: Bulletproof hitches direct to not use the locking pin when towing, only when not moving or hitch not connected to trailer.
Maybe Bulletproof's comment is because there have been cases reported where their lock on the locking pin has come off, not because of a pin failure. Bolt Lock owners have reported their lock came off during towing. My Bolt Locks have never failed or shown signs of coming off. I wonder if the reports of the lock coming off were properly locked on.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Maybe Bulletproof's comment is because there have been cases reported where their lock on the locking pin has come off, not because of a pin failure. Bolt Lock owners have reported their lock came off during towing. My Bolt Locks have never failed or shown signs of coming off. I wonder if the reports of the lock coming off were properly locked on.
Quite possible that is the reason. And if one end of the pin is not doing its job, just as bad as a broken pin.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Have you guys got a link to these reports. If it is pervasive I would very much like to know about it. If it is one or two guys, I would lean on it being user error as Bolt has sold many thousands of these Hitch Pins.

Last edited:

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
By far the best locking hitch pin I've ever found. Just make sure to lube lock cylinder with something like Triflow monthly if you live in inclement weather areas in the winter.

Bulletproof Hitch Pin

1684770837413.png

BrenttheMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have a source as to BulletProof actually recommending this?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
From the Bulletproof site.

Yes, we offer a BulletProof Locking Pin that you can use to lock your hitch to your vehicles receiver. It is also compatible with all of our accessories, so you can lock your dual ball or any BulletProof Accessory to the hitch.

If you order more than 1Locking Pin we will make sure that they are all keyed alike. Each locking pin comes with 2 keys.

BulletProof Locking Pins are rated to the same weight rating of your BulletProof Hitch™. Most locking pins available are only rated for up to 10,000 pounds.

The BulletProof Stainless Steel Locking Pin is possibly the best solution for locking nearly any hitch to your vehicle receiver and for locking your dual ball to your hitch.
This locking pin is rated to the max capacity of the hitch 14,000 - 36,000lbs and offers peace of mind when leaving your vehicle unattended. The pin has a thick, lockable barrel (end-piece) that will prevent theft as well as provide a solid hold on your hitch.
The locking pin is made from stainless steel to provide maximum corrosion and rust protection. The length of the pin works with all 2", 2.5", & 3" hitch receivers. It can also be used to secure the dual ball or other BulletProof accessories into the hitch channel.
This top-of-the-line locking pin has a universal fit, which means that it is compatible with any vehicle on the market.
Note: This locking pin is not compatible with the BulletProof Weight Distribution Adapter.
Order the BulletProof Locking Pin in packs of one, two, or three depending on your security needs. If ordering a two or three pack, we will make sure that they are keyed alike, meaning you can use 1 set of keys on your locking pins for convenience.

FEATURES​

lighter.png

Last edited:

BrenttheMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From the Bulletproof site.

Yes, we offer a BulletProof Locking Pin that you can use to lock your hitch to your vehicles receiver. It is also compatible with all of our accessories, so you can lock your dual ball or any BulletProof Accessory to the hitch.

If you order more than 1Locking Pin we will make sure that they are all keyed alike. Each locking pin comes with 2 keys.

BulletProof Locking Pins are rated to the same weight rating of your BulletProof Hitch™. Most locking pins available are only rated for up to 10,000 pounds.

The BulletProof Stainless Steel Locking Pin is possibly the best solution for locking nearly any hitch to your vehicle receiver and for locking your dual ball to your hitch.
This locking pin is rated to the max capacity of the hitch 14,000 - 36,000lbs and offers peace of mind when leaving your vehicle unattended. The pin has a thick, lockable barrel (end-piece) that will prevent theft as well as provide a solid hold on your hitch.
The locking pin is made from stainless steel to provide maximum corrosion and rust protection. The length of the pin works with all 2", 2.5", & 3" hitch receivers. It can also be used to secure the dual ball or other BulletProof accessories into the hitch channel.
This top-of-the-line locking pin has a universal fit, which means that it is compatible with any vehicle on the market.
Note: This locking pin is not compatible with the BulletProof Weight Distribution Adapter.
Order the BulletProof Locking Pin in packs of one, two, or three depending on your security needs. If ordering a two or three pack, we will make sure that they are keyed alike, meaning you can use 1 set of keys on your locking pins for convenience.

FEATURES​

View attachment 521632
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see it written anywhere that the locking pin is inferior to a standard pin for towing applications.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I emailed Bolt. This is what they sent me back. I wouldsay the tow rating is right up there with any pin for a class V hitch.

1684778456452.png

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I would use a grade 8 bolt for towing.
If you're going to use a bolt, this is the best way to do it. Buy a SHCS and use at the very least a nylock nut, if not Nord-Lock lockwashers. They'll need an impact to get it apart.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I emailed Bolt. This is what they sent me back. I wouldsay the tow rating is right up there with any pin for a class V hitch.

View attachment 521650
Considering the Bolt lock is stainless steel, your more likely to damage the receiver or drawbar as the lock shank is harder.
I would use a grade 8 bolt for towing.
Not really the greatest idea unless you have a bolt with a shoulder long enough to go through the receiver entirely. If the threads go through the hole it will allow the bar to move and elongate the holes.
Guarantee even a cheap receiver pin has more shear strength required and the hitch will break before the pin shears. Using any bolt that doesn't have a long enough shoulder is actually a disadvantage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500