Need lifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan Wynn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
I got the dreaded bad lifter issue with my 2014 1500 5.7 with MDS. I currently have the motor pulled apart with the passenger side head pulled off. I had a bent rod as well as the failed lifter on cylinder 6.

My biggest issue is that I can't find a place to order or buy replacement lifters. Any help would be appreciatedIMG_20191125_165307.jpg 2019-11-25_17.54.57.jpg 2019-11-25_17.54.22.jpg

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Texas speed has non mds lifters. Replace the cam when ur in there and delete that crap or you'll just repeat the process again if you plan to fix and sell it.

OP
OP
R

Ryan Wynn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
I considered that but the cam doesn't look or feel damaged so I was planning on just changing the lifters and springs and rolling with it. Is that a terrible idea?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
As far as I know they're backordered for months. I just did exactly what ur doing last month. I decided I'm gonna run the wheels off this unit so I put a comp cam in it and new better lifters and called it good. And oh man it sounds good!!

I'm a power nut so any reason to get rid of stock junk and go performance I'm on it.

I'd just hate to go that far and have something else go. That's my 2¢.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I considered that but the cam doesn't look or feel damaged so I was planning on just changing the lifters and springs and rolling with it. Is that a terrible idea?

When you get the lifters in, spin the engine, see the lift. Since you are where you are, not a terrible move unless you don't get lift in bad lifter.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
See vendors here like Moes, he is out of lifters?

OP
OP
R

Ryan Wynn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
When you get the lifters in, spin the engine, see the lift. Since you are where you are, not a terrible move unless you don't get lift in bad lifter.

I already know the one lifter is bad for sure.
IMG_20191126_151208.jpg

OP
OP
R

Ryan Wynn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Or are you saying to put the new lifters in and spin to see if the cam is bad?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's not the lifter I would worry about, you are replacing those, it is if the cam is worn and even with new lifter cam lob wont raise lifter. A real possibility.

Yes, we typing at same time. That is exactly what I am saying.

OP
OP
R

Ryan Wynn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
As far as I know they're backordered for months. I just did exactly what ur doing last month. I decided I'm gonna run the wheels off this unit so I put a comp cam in it and new better lifters and called it good. And oh man it sounds good!!

I'm a power nut so any reason to get rid of stock junk and go performance I'm on it.

I'd just hate to go that far and have something else go. That's my 2¢.

Which cam did you go with exactly? Link if you have it

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
we see this **** weekly here on ram forum.. If you got a mis fire before you took engine apart, chances are this...

th?id=OIP.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, it really messed up, we all hate it. The latest theory is it is the needle bearing in the lifter. One stupid little nothing part fails, and the 390hp engine is useless. Cam/Lifters are easily main issue facing ram owners. Once you have a new cam in, learn about lubrication a little, join syn oil thread and kick around some ideas we all have developed over the last decade.

OP
OP
R

Ryan Wynn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Well I know for a fact that it's not that bad. I can feel the cam lobe and I don't feel anything more than a very very very tiny lip. Is it possible for the lifter to go bad and to get the misfire code but not do damage to the cam that requires replacement? Would the rod being bent and off the rocker effect the damage done to the cam?

I appreciate your help

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Well I know for a fact that it's not that bad. I can feel the cam lobe and I don't feel anything more than a very very very tiny lip. Is it possible for the lifter to go bad and to get the misfire code but not do damage to the cam that requires replacement? Would the rod being bent and off the rocker effect the damage done to the cam?

I appreciate your help
Yes it is possible. As far as I knoe the root cause of the lifters eating the cam is either a needle bearing going or a lifter collapsing when the lifter collapses it hemorages oil starving the rest of the lifters. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.
But yes if it collapsed it could cause the lifter to be dead and bend the rod. I've seen guys with bent rods just order a replacement, replace the lifters and put on another 100k miles with no issue. Considering ur replacing the lifters already and know theres very minimal cam wear you may get lucky.

OP
OP
R

Ryan Wynn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Then I'm just back to the issue of findng a set of MDS lifters

ScrubsR1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
How many miles on the truck? It blows my mind that Ram is able to get away with such a well documented problem. I could understand if this was happening on a 1st gen engine design, but this engine has been in production for over a decade. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no documentation showing that the FCA has made an effort to improve the lifter design/change suppliers since the refresh...wtf!?