A different throttle body issue, no prior thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjmcg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok, I'll get this out of the way up front, I only bought this because it was new in the box still sealed in the deli paper wrap. It was the exact part no (1781) from the BBK lookup for a 2011 1500 5.7L.... and it was about half of new $ so, yeah, that's why I got it.

Anywho, I'll let my picture ask my question for me:

(Shorty headers, CAI, mech fan delete, alum rad, 190° Tstat, Superchips tuned)

Attachments

• 20240525_113714~2.jpg
    20240525_113714~2.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ok, I'll get this out of the way up front, I only bought this because it was new in the box still sealed in the deli paper wrap. It was the exact part no (1781) from the BBK lookup for a 2011 1500 5.7L.... and it was about half of new $ so, yeah, that's why I got it.

(Shorty headers, CAI, mech fan delete, alum rad, 190° Tstat, Superchips tuned)
Chock it up to a learning experience.BBK has the worst rep going whether it's their throttle bodies or shorty headers. Maybe you can get your money back,then stick the stock throttle body back on.

OP
OP
M

mjmcg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I already put they oem tb back on as soon as took it off because I couldn't mount the bbk due to the alignment pins not matching.
What I'm wondering is, can I lift the o ring out of the channel and gently file off the plastic nubs and go with the bolts? Has anyone else run into this? Am I asking for trouble than I bargain for doing that?
I see plenty of sites selling them and the pictures all show the 1781 with alignment holes that match the OEM. I wonder why the hell the one I got is so wrong.
I didn't get it from bbk so they'll tell me to go pound hash.

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I already put they oem tb back on as soon as took it off because I couldn't mount the bbk due to the alignment pins not matching.
What I'm wondering is, can I lift the o ring out of the channel and gently file off the plastic nubs and go with the bolts? Has anyone else run into this? Am I asking for trouble than I bargain for doing that?
I see plenty of sites selling them and the pictures all show the 1781 with alignment holes that match the OEM. I wonder why the hell the one I got is so wrong.

Is the BBK a counterfeit knock off? While the new TB isn’t right it does look like it has some sort of alignment detents circled in blue on the pic. Not sure what I’m looking at in the 12 O’clock blue circle. Is it possible to modify the new TB housing instead of modifying the factory inlet tube?

Attachments

• IMG_1976.jpeg
    IMG_1976.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 5

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Give up on that throttle body.Odds are unless you're boosted or running a big cube stroker kit with ported heads/big cam/lots of rpm etc.,you don't need an aftermarket throttle body anyways.If you're just a cammed/bolt on 5.7,you'll be better off with the stock TB,especially if you haven't ported your intake manifold.Even if you do manage to get it mounted,there's a good chance you'll never get it to run right.But on the good side,you have a neat paperweight for the coffee table.A little reseach would of told you not to buy it,lol. If you're hung up on a bigger throttle body hit Dan up at Fastman,as he used to have the earlier TB's in ported sizes
Bolts aren't the way to go either,you want to do studs. 1/4" ready rod makes for a good throttle body stud to repair stripped out manifold holes

Attachments

• IMG_4250 (2).JPG
    IMG_4250 (2).JPG
    121 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine

i knew you were from NY....."anywho". lol ( i'm from Rochester, NY)

maybe it's a universal fit? part number says Hemi 5.7/6.1/6.4. Maybe the reason the location holes are diferent?

Their web site says it's for 3003-2012 Hemi. Should fit....right?

Last edited:

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
@Wild one gives solid advice!
Ditch the useless aftermarket TB and don't try and macgyver it to work.

If you have money to spend, then go with the real deal...
https://thefastman.com/throttlebodiesHemi.php

I only went this route as I had an old debt paid back and money to burn, per se.
Did I feel a bit of an improvement in overall throttle response and a bit of a deeper dig at WOT, yes. But it wasn't inexpensive, and it really wasn't needed either as I've only got bolt on goodies on my 5.7 ;)

Unless you have an engine that has some real work done to it, skip the TB and look to long tube headers and a retune for some real gains.

OP
OP
M

mjmcg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I appreciate the input, but sometimes things get lost in translation when you only glance over a post.
I do in fact have a minor bolt on build going on, the headers were done from necessity of the warped manifolds, got a tuner and took my clutch fan off.... That said, AGAIN I only got this TB because I stumbled on to it for less than half of a new one but this one was in fact new in box. So it was a "what the hell, why not?" item not a "I gotta have that." thing.

No, it won't fit because the pins are in totally different locations. I think it was mis packaged at the factory is what I'm thinking unless someone can show me pics of an '11 5.7 intake opening with pins that live up with these holes.
I guess I'm at the mercy of BBK having a solution or ebay'ing it. Unless someone here wants it for $300. Not like it's been installed LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mjmcg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
**Update**

I got this as a response from BBK:

"you will need to remove the alignment pins."

Great.

I may dremel them off and stick some studs in the corners and clamp this thing on with nuts for S's&G's. I'm not looking for anything spectacular because the 5spd isn't good for much more than whatever I'm making out of it now, but perhaps come tow time it'll help chip in. Eh, she's got 100k on the dial, I'm just playing at this point. If it goes it goes, if it don't it don't.