New Camshaft recommendation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gilberts Garage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey ya'll

I'm new here, but have spent hours reading threads. I've been a GM/Chrysler tech for the last 13yrs so I have loads of experience in replacing parts. I've always replaced with oem parts, never installed a "performance" camshafts before. I have a failed lifter 4 weeks after buying my "new" truck, yippee.

If I'm going to open this thing up to replace the cam and lifters, I want to add a nice lobey idle to it. The problem is I'm kind of strapped for cash right now as I'm having a shop built once the frost is out of the ground.

My shop is set to be done mid-July, but I need my truck back before then to pick up equipment and such. I don't need to add a bunch of power. I just want it to sound bad@$$. What do ya'll recommend?

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
hmmmmm let me polish up my old magic 8 ball
*wipes off dirty hands on an even dirtier shop rag*

lets see here *sniffs and coughs on some old shop dust*
needs cam and lifters, strapped for cash, building new garage, dont need a bunch of power, need the truck back on the road soon

I dont know what it is but something otherworldly is telling me to not go crazy on the cam job... do it right, do it once, get your home garage sorted out then you can build your beast in the garage at your own pace!
:favorites13:

OP
OP
Gilberts Garage

Gilberts Garage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Gosh, when I read it from someone else, it just makes so much more sense. I'll just stick an oem cam in there and be done with it for now. Once the shop is finished and the dust settles, I'll have more time and money to play around with it. Thanks for stating the obvious hemihustlin lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Gosh, when I read it from someone else, it just makes so much more sense. I'll just stick an oem cam in there and be done with it for now. Once the shop is finished and the dust settles, I'll have more time and money to play around with it. Thanks for stating the obvious hemihustlin lol
The SRT 6.4 cam for the manual transmission Challengers is a non-mds cam,is fairly cheap,and gives a bit of a power increase.You'll need the Mopar MDS delete plugs,but they're fairly cheap at roughly 65 bucks for all 4 plugs. You should consider a tune to go with it,but the good news is ,it looks like you have a 14,so you don't need an unlocked PCM to tune it.

OP
OP
Gilberts Garage

Gilberts Garage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The SRT 6.4 cam for the manual transmission Challengers is a non-mds cam,is fairly cheap,and gives a bit of a power increase.You'll need the Mopar MDS delete plugs,but they're fairly cheap at roughly 65 bucks for all 4 plugs. You should consider a tune to go with it,but the good news is ,it looks like you have a 14,so you don't need an unlocked PCM to tune it.
I can get oem parts on the cheap since I'm still working at the dealership so a 6.4 cam and some plugs could easily fit into the budget. Is a custom tune necessary when swapping to a non-mds cam? There's a dyno tuner not far from our rural town, but they are not cheap as they are the only one for like 100 miles.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I can get oem parts on the cheap since I'm still working at the dealership so a 6.4 cam and some plugs could easily fit into the budget. Is a custom tune necessary when swapping to a non-mds cam? There's a dyno tuner not far from our rural town, but they are not cheap as they are the only one for like 100 miles.
An email tune will work for your application. You're gonna have a check engine light if you delete the mds solenoids.You could probably get away with the automatic SRT 6.4 cam with out a tune,as it's a mds cam

OP
OP
Gilberts Garage

Gilberts Garage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
An email tune will work for your application. You're gonna have a check engine light if you delete the mds solenoids.You could probably get away with the automatic SRT 6.4 cam with out a tune,as it's a mds cam
I am pretty naive when it comes to tuning. I like the idea of getting rid of the MDS. How would I go about getting an email tune?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I am pretty naive when it comes to tuning. I like the idea of getting rid of the MDS. How would I go about getting an email tune?
Contact whoever you settle on for a tuner,and they'll walk you through the process.If you have the 8 speed avoid any tuner that uses Diablo,as there's a very good chance it won't be able to tune your 14's oddball 8 speed,Diablo doesn't really support the 13 and 14 8 speeds,which means you'll want a tuner who tunes via HP.

OP
OP
Gilberts Garage

Gilberts Garage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Contact whoever you settle on for a tuner,and they'll walk you through the process.If you have the 8 speed avoid any tuner that uses Diablo,as there's a very good chance it won't be able to tune your 14's oddball 8 speed,Diablo doesn't really support the 13 and 14 8 speeds,which means you'll want a tuner who tunes via HP.
I do in fact have the 8 speed. If diablo is out, and I use HP, how do I find a tuner that uses HP? Like I said, I'm naive when it comes to tuning. Do you have a recommendation? What kind of hardware do I need?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I do in fact have the 8 speed. If diablo is out, and I use HP, how do I find a tuner that uses HP? Like I said, I'm naive when it comes to tuning. Do you have a recommendation? What kind of hardware do I need?
My tuner is in Alberta,and he's very good,but he usually wants to spend time in the pass seat with a laptop on his lap tweaking the tune while your making pulls and street driving it after he's had it on the dyno.Unless you want to drive over to Edmonton Alberta,i really got nothing as far as good tuners in your area.Somebody on here should have a good tuner reconmendation for you in the Minnesota area that's with-in driving distance to you,or you can research HP tuners in your area that should be able to do an email tune for you. Join the HP tuners forum,and you should find a tuner semi close to you,that'll tell you what all you need for an HP tune