New motor recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TGoedde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, my 2013 5.7 hemi has a rounded cam lobe. What are your thoughts? Install a new cam and lifters or a whole new engine? The old one has 134,000 miles and was running great until this issue started. #7 misfire code. New plugs and coil didn't fix. If a new engine is installed we're looking at a $12,500 bill! I can order a long block for about $4000+ and pay install labor. Or a new cam and lifters for about $1000 in parts and I do the install myself. But I am still running an aging engine that has an oil issue that starved the cam lobe. What say you all?

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here’s a vote for the cam and lifters rebuild route. Check the VVT solenoid to ensure no major metal filings. Do the routine maintenance items while you’re in there.

There are many 5.7 engines well into the 300k range.

With the new parts and better oiling strategy, my bet is that the engine will make it there.

If I could rewind time I would have gone non MDS with simple pcm reflash. I may still do it.

P.s. I also look at the new engine like this… are you willing to pay $12,500 for an engine that still has the same inherent flaw? $2k for me to get another 100k from a paid off vehicle was worth the gamble… $12k? I would have bought a different truck.

Again just my opinion.

Best of luck in your decision making.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TGoedde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Watched a video on how to replace the cam, and hell, might as well drop a new engine in with all that work! But substantially cheaper.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
If you're going all out... FFFFFFF... - it... go Hellephant and be done with it ;)

Or, go with the MMX or FRP MDS delete package (cam, etc.), non-MDS Hellcat lifters, HP Tuners package with a tune, and have a blast with your HEMI.

Toss on a 6.4 ported intake and a FastMan throttle body and you're good to go with some additonal punch.

Then migrate to Red Line High Performance 5W30 oil, or High Performance Lubricants Super Car 0W30 oil.

And either the Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter, or the Fram XG2 oil filter.

Toss in a couple of bottles of Red Line SI-1 fuel treatment with a full tank of premium and clean er all out (change oil after this treatment ;)). Then a second fill with premium, too.

Then a custom y-pipe to really open things up. Of course, you'll need some long tube headers on there for good measure.... and why not, you'll have the HP Tuners set up, so you can get everything dialed right in for optimum performance.

Lastly, toss in the @caulk04 transmission cooler bypass valve and the PPE large tranny pan with new filter and top her right up with fresh fluid.

We can definitely help you spend your money, right ;)

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Chhhaaaaaching! $$$$!!:p
If your HEMI is still solid, my $0.02 is to go the MMX or FRP MDS delete route and keep on trucking!

I'd also toss in a set of new NGK Ruthenium HX plugs as well. Source from Rock Auto so you receive legit parts from a credible and respected supplier. They are about $12USD per plug. Well worth it, too.

OP
OP
T

TGoedde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The hemi ran solid until a year ago it started coding various things and ticking fairly loud in the valve train. Sorry, what is MMX and FRP MDS delete mean?

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
The hemi ran solid until a year ago it started coding various things and ticking fairly loud in the valve train. Sorry, what is MMX and FRP MDS delete mean?

The two best in the business for MDS delete kits.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
You'll also need a HP Tuners set up with the PCM unlocked, then get a MDS-delete tune...

If you put on long tubes as well, then the tuner can optimize for that, too.

Still, in the end, lots cheaper than a whole new motor ;)

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
That is pretty cool! But Good Lord the work that goes into changing cams is extensive! Arrrrg! I was not anticipating this expense, but we love our Ram!
I did the 6.4 because my ram Ate 2 cams in less than 20k of The first one which was replaced at around 80k I Beleive. I also just wanted more power.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
You'll also need a HP Tuners set up with the PCM unlocked, then get a MDS-delete tune...

If you put on long tubes as well, then the tuner can optimize for that, too.

Still, in the end, lots cheaper than a whole new motor ;)
Man were great at spending everyone else's money :anitoof: