Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went to change my oil tonight and for the life of me could not get the RP 20-500 to slip in to place. Thankfully, I had an SRT filter on hand and substituted with that. There's a slightly raised portion of the steering rack? right below the filter housing location that I just couldn't angle the filter around to screw in. What geometry-jitsu am I not doing correctly? I do have a BDS 6in coilover lift kit, unsure if that's the reason. Had been previously using the RP 20-820 filter w/o issue. Perplexing lol.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Geez, @turkeybird56 , even my Hog gets 43 mpg mixed roads, 47 mpg highway.

And it's only air-cooled. 1746 cc
Your machine be a pig!
Well, U gotta do the math. Original Honda Wing get like 42 mpg. But that is a 900 lb bike plus rider. I got an extra 1,200 lbs alone with the trike kit and a few extra's, so close to an added 1,300 lbs on a bike built to only pull 900 lbs (so U talking 2,200 lbs plus my big carcass). SO yeah, mileage gonna go down big time. Positive side: No issues parking, leaning, driving, sitting at a light, sitting in traffic. Only down side issues: I have to feed da "pig" more // I have no way to get that Monster in the air so Oil Charges are a real "mother", LOL. // And there is no counter steer/leaning on the ride, no can do on a Trike, so curves are taken different, U have to as the shooting course for like an SRT/MOUT training is: Cut the Pie on the Corners: start wide and push into the turn/corners on any substantial curves.

ADDED: 1832 CC, and heck no, not air cooled, flat 6 motor, makes monster amount of heat, LOL. And my base bike is a 2006 GL, with the 5 speed, low 1st, next 3 acceleration, and 5th final overdrive tranny.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get up horsie! Get up!
BOIRD NEVA beat his hossie (actually wife's AQHA mare, that I still have even tho she passed over 6 years ago)(My gelding died 2 years ago)

Mare on the left (blue halter), Gelding on the right and Momma.

Attachments

• lyn 2 xmas hossies.jpg
    lyn 2 xmas hossies.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 8

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went to change my oil tonight and for the life of me could not get the RP 20-500 to slip in to place. Thankfully, I had an SRT filter on hand and substituted with that. There's a slightly raised portion of the steering rack? right below the filter housing location that I just couldn't angle the filter around to screw in. What geometry-jitsu am I not doing correctly? I do have a BDS 6in coilover lift kit, unsure if that's the reason. Had been previously using the RP 20-820 filter w/o issue. Perplexing lol.
RP 20-500 bit skinnier but longer, and with your lift geometry, maybe the issue. I have not tried to do ne thing except XG 10060 Fram or stock on mine.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well, U gotta do the math. Original Honda Wing get like 42 mpg. But that is a 900 lb bike plus rider. I got an extra 1,200 lbs alone with the trike kit and a few extra's, so close to an added 1,300 lbs on a bike built to only pull 900 lbs. SO yeah, mileage gonna go down big time. Positive side: No issues parking, leaning, driving, sitting at a light, sitting in traffic. Only down side issues: I have to feed da "pig" more // I have no way to get that Monster in the air so Oil Charges are a real "mother", LOL. // And there is no counter steer/leaning on the ride, no can do on a Trike, so curves are taken different, U have to as the shooting course for like an SRT/MOUT training is: Cut the Pie on the Corners: start wide and push into the turn/corners on any substantial curves.

ADDED: 1832 CC, and heck no, not air cooled, flat 6 motor, makes monster amount of heat, LOL. And my base bike is a 2006 GL, with the 5 speed, low 1st, next 3 acceleration, and 5th final overdrive tranny.

I read you really got to push on the handlebars to take curves.
Trading balance for Popeye forearms, money, and gas?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
damn, I think it is time to no longer recommend the 20-500 for the 5.7. Fitament charts are wrong, some rams wont take this filter. Common RP fix this supply issue with the best filter for our rams, the 20-820!

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read you really got to push on the handlebars to take curves.
Trading balance for Popeye forearms, money, and gas?
I loved counter steering my 2008 HD Ultra Glide, but I always scrapped the bottoms of the foot boards, LMAO. But alas, I got the Wing Trike so Momma could ride, but alas, she got 2 rides and was gone, grrrrrrrr. Yup, life suks, and I neva have ever rode with Ape Bars, LOL.

As far as steering on the Trike, it is just like when U were a kid on a tricycle. Just turn and head that direction. The only difference is, the independent rear end pushes the bike forward, so in reality you are almost side scuffing the front tire to turn, so that is why, even with a 4% rake kit, I still have to do new Exceedra's every 8-10K in mileage. I buy and have put on specific Trike Front tires, not mount rear tires backwards (counter rotation) like a lot of HD riders do.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
damn, I think it is time to no longer recommend the 20-500 for the 5.7. Fitament charts are wrong, some rams wont take this filter. Common RP fix this supply issue with the best filter for our rams, the 20-820!
I just stick with the XG 10060, full synthetic media, works for DIS BOIRD.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I just stick with the XG 10060, full synthetic media, works for DIS BOIRD.
is that smaller or larger then xg3?

I see you are opting for the small filter bird, I would stick to the large ones, we know they have better flow.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
is that smaller or larger then xg3?

I see you are opting for the small filter bird, I would stick to the large ones, we know they have better flow.
Dunno, not ever seen/had a xg3, U mean xg2??? The Fram Ultra XG 10060 basically same size as stock filter (which I hand to SA to be used when having oil changed at Dealership). If I quit having the dealership do, I might play and buy the bigger filter and see, but OK with the stock size as truck is a driveway princess ne way). But I also get free tire rotations when I have Dealership do oil, and I always Check and Verify, but I do have a good dealership and I have the SA insure rims torqued to 130 ft pounds with torque wrench, and not an air gun, which I also check, lol. I even have a lil AC drain hack on truck, which keeps the drain from having blowback and garbage clog the AC drain also (since it has a horizontal drain in the path of the air flow around the motor, stupid design/instituted when I discovered my drain was clogging and BOIRD was not happy, so had to improvise).

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah, the Fram XG10060 is the OEM d inky sized filter, akin to RP 10-48. Next Fram size up is XG10575, then the XG2 is the big'n.

az chip

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
damn, I think it is time to no longer recommend the 20-500 for the 5.7. Fitament charts are wrong, some rams wont take this filter. Common RP fix this supply issue with the best filter for our rams, the 20-820

Yeah, the Fram XG10060 is the OEM d inky sized filter, akin to RP 10-48. Next Fram size up is XG10575, then the XG2 is the big'n.
Do I need to search? will the XG2 fit on the '17 Hemi?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Do I need to search? will the XG2 fit on the '17 Hemi?

It's not a matter of fitting onto engine filter adapter on the engine, it's how much open space there is for the filter itself.

The d inky OEM filter will always fit, of course, but defeats the whole point of bigger filter for lower flow restriction. Apparently, Chrysler and later FCA made so many variations of front lower suspension, we can't predict what larger filter will fit on any given truck.

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well it's unfortunate that it seems the RP 20-500 filter is a mixed bag on fitment on the 5.7 and definitely a no go on mine, but that makes me feel better that I wasn't just being incompetent under the truck trying to fit it. haha. I'll have to contemplate what I go with from now on, may just continue on with the SRT filter or look into these Fram filters.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Burla,

Don't retire. I already tried the 20-500. Did not fit. I have my doubts on the XG2. But will look at it. I would like the best flow and filtration of course.
The xg2 should fit, the xp899 wix fits just fine on my truck and the xg2 is only slightly larger. Ill test it next oil change

Zeak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A few months ago when I couldn't order a 20-820 I got on here and found some mention of the 20-500 and confirmed that a few folks were running it at the time. It also happens to be the same filter for our 2019 Expedition. I did get the filter to fit but it was more difficult than the 10-48 and 20-820 ever were. I was beginning to think the threads were the wrong size or something and it wasn't going to fit, but then I figured if @Burla and @HEMIMANN said it would fit then it was going to fit. I really had to get it just right and at the right angle to thread the filter on but it fit. I guess I was just to stubborn to accept defeat. I have more of the 20-500s so I'll use it again in a few months unless the 20-820 is available.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963