Oil ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackghost63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
? type of oil for the new 2018 5.7
called two dealers. one said full synthetic, One said synthetic blend, and some manufacturer number
I called said 5W-20. and never said anything about synthetic.
she did say ApI, ms- 6395
but no one could tell me what the truck came with.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
5W20 synthetic or synthetic blends are recommended.

As U1arunit posted above, that particular oil is a good one to use.

Your owners manual will have the SAE & API specification information on recommended oils.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Read the poll here if you want to see what people are using.

Pennzoil number one, the brand that came with the truck, PUP or pennzoil ultra platinum is their top of the like. Hard to find, amazon and ebay the best place, great oil.

m1 number two oil used in rams.

Amsoil SS and Redline 3 and 4.

One thing for sure, the manu wants you to use pennzoil as it was made with FCA help for rams. Read syn thread for more info. Read my oil filter thread in my sig, if your truck starts hemi tick, email nick for redline 5w30, it has been proven to be a real solution to ending the tick, whether or not that means you wont have issues we don't know, but the ticking will likely go away.

poll results...

What Synthetic Oil(s) Do You Use Most Often?

1. Amsoil XL or Signature Series
    43 vote(s)
    12.6%

2. Castrol Edge or GTX Magnatec
    10 vote(s)
    2.9%

3. Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 Advanced
    99 vote(s)
    29.0%

4. Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum
    106 vote(s)
    31.1%
  5. *
    Redline
    43 vote(s)
    12.6%

6. Royal Purple
    20 vote(s)
    5.9%

7. Schaeffer's
    1 vote(s)
    0.3%

8. Quaker State Ultimate Durability
    12 vote(s)
    3.5%

9. Valvoline Synpower
    19 vote(s)
    5.6%

10. Walmart Supertech
    4 vote(s)

1stHEMI

Reaction score
I just did my first oil change and went with Lucas 5W/30 synthetic, and a K&N oil filter. I hate the location of the filter... it dripped oil all over the steering module. The K&N filter at least has a nut that makes it easier to remove when the time comes.
upload_2018-8-10_14-44-30.png

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate the location of the filter... it dripped oil all over the steering module. The K&N filter at least has a nut that makes it easier to remove when the time comes.

I've used K&N oil filters for years. LOVE that nut on the bottom, makes installation and removal much easier.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys using k&n oil filters keep a check on them that they don't start leaking. I had used k&n for years untill the first one I put on my Hemi leaked, not using them anymore. Also, the nut is not for installation, it's for removal only.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I checked with my dealer shortly after getting my 2018. They use the Mopar 5w-20 conventional made by Pennzoil. However, I'm considering going with Pennzoil synthetic when I have it changed. My concern with a different weight is how that might impact any warranty if work was needed.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I checked with my dealer shortly after getting my 2018. They use the Mopar 5w-20 conventional made by Pennzoil. However, I'm considering going with Pennzoil synthetic when I have it changed. My concern with a different weight is how that might impact any warranty if work was needed.

If you were that worried and had an engine issue you could change the oil before bringing it to the dealer. Or you can use 5w20. Here's a poll, I think around 1/2 the people use heavier then 5w20 on the forum.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yep. I put a little oil on the gasket/seal and spin the filter on as tight as I can by hand only, never had a problem with a filter leaking in 4 decades.

I also liked the nut on the end. I stop using this K&N filter when production was moved over to China and quality took a nose dive. With synthetic oil filters out now it doesn't make sense to me to use a paper filter anymore. I have been using royal purple oil filters but might try the the fram ultra synthetic filter next change.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys using k&n oil filters keep a check on them that they don't start leaking. I had used k&n for years untill the first one I put on my Hemi leaked, not using them anymore. Also, the nut is not for installation, it's for removal only.

Never had one to leak on me... but I keep a regular check on my fluids, so if anything but water from the A/C is dripping under my vehicle I'll know about it pretty quick.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
? type of oil for the new 2018 5.7
called two dealers. one said full synthetic, One said synthetic blend, and some manufacturer number
I called said 5W-20. and never said anything about synthetic.
she did say ApI, ms- 6395
but no one could tell me what the truck came with.
I'd run Amsoil or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and a quality synthetic or synthetic blend oil filter. Both will serve you well. If you develop the very well known Hemi Tick then Redline will be a good option.
These 3 oil have a good additive package, additive package consist of multiple components. Depending on oil brand/formulation components consist of ashless dispersants, metal detergents, antioxidants, antiwear agents, antifomants, friction modifiers, rust inhibitors and metal passivators.
Synthetic oils use more highly refined base oils which improve the additive response in the oil. In Traditional mineral oils there are other components in the oil that compete with the additive package for surface components. With these compounds removed the additive chemistry is able to bond with the surface more easily and provide the required protection. That's why synthetics perform better. Redline being a true synthetic may have the advantage, but I can't confirm that.
In addition to base oil and additive package there is Thermal Stability. Thermal stability is an oils ability to maintain performance characteristics when heated pasts it's design. In the testing I've seen Amsoil and PUP have very low performance loss; I haven't seen any thermal stability testing on Redline. This is important because oil temperatures are not consistent throughout the engine; specifically the journal bearings. Shearing of oil within the clearance space can increase the bearing surface temperature by 68-122 degrees F hotter than oil sump temperatures. In extreme cases the bearing alloy can melt; depending on the material used when manufacturing the journal bearing. Bearing surface temperatures of 374 degrees F or more are possible and some components within the bearing alloy like tin can start to melt.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
If you stick with Pennzoil be sure to run the Pennzoil "Ulta" Platinum (PUP) and not the Pennzoil Platinum. The PUP will sever you better. Sometimes people confuse the two; and if the dealership changes your oil be sure to check your recipe to be sure they used the right oil.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is the k&n that I had that leaked. As you can see from about the 9 to 1 o'clock location it was rubbing. Center hole was not tapped square to base plate. The recommended k&n filter for the hemi is made in Mexico, the larger filter that some are using is made in USA.
6f042fb2e58169648a148e3742001dd8.jpg

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the k&n that I had that leaked. As you can see from about the 9 to 1 o'clock location it was rubbing. Center hole was not tapped square to base plate. The recommended k&n filter for the hemi is made in Mexico, the larger filter that some are using is made in USA.
6f042fb2e58169648a148e3742001dd8.jpg

You got to love those 12 holes! For some reason I tend to stay sway from filters with only 6 holes and usually end up with 8's mostly. Probably doesn't make much difference though one way or the other. I haven't bought a K&N filter either since they moved production to Mexico several years ago either.