Ok... everyone has issues with their trucks! What is a good truck today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

anchorsaweigh

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Whats a good truck today? I have a 2012 Ram the gas sucks balls! I have 116k on it but its paid off what would you go to now if you had to buy a new one? Chevy?
Buy a prius and quit doing everything you need a truck for. That'll save you some gas money.

Cheers

Bob

brentwasham

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman, metallic red with wheel-to-wheel black sidesteps and fender flares, factory wheels
Engine
The 6 cyl is awesome for power and gas mileage, an 8-speed transmission makes up for a lot. Towing is not so great but if you don't go that far or that often might be worth putting up with all the gear changing. I upgraded from a 2002 Ram quad cab Lone Star with the 4.7L 8-cyl and 5-speed manual to a 2013 Tradesman with the 3.6 6 cyl 8-speed automatic. At a year old it wholesaled for $19K. Miles ahead in every respect though a "base" model. Only thing it didn't have was the map reading lights and overhead digital console. The newer models have much more standard, back-up camera, gear shifting on the steering wheel, complete engine/trans instrumentation, phone interface, carrier trailer hitch, sprayed-in bedliner, the list goes on. Even ride, steering and handling are much better, at least 2 new front-end designs since the old truck. Couldn't be happier with this vehicle. My next vehicle will undoubtedly be the 3rd Ram.

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was wondering this because of all the complaints I read on here, I buy to keep and run into the ground but I take care of my Vehicles and I use them for what the are intended to be used for! My next fixes are the washer pump has stopped spraying my NAV has gone black, and My seat is ripped so I have some fixing to do, I do think in this day and age trucks today should get better gas mileage then 13mpg. Like mine in the city
1) If you stomp on the gas at every opportunity, you'll get crappy mileage.
2) If you have a lift and 35" tires, you'll get crappy mileage.
3) If you keep the tires at 30psi and haven't changed the air filter in 3 years, you'll get crappy mileage.
Trucks would get better mileage, but if you sell a truck with less than 375HP, everyone will think it's underpowered. My first half ton truck (gas engine) put out 180HP! If you want close to 400HP, you're going to burn a lot of gas.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Whats a good truck today? I have a 2012 Ram the gas sucks balls! I have 116k on it but its paid off what would you go to now if you had to buy a new one? Chevy?
Hey Bro-we both have a 2012-I agree the MPG sucks=-but it has been the best gas sucking pick-up I have ever driven-fast as **** and stock-smooth as silk drivetrain-and a couch worthy ride!-And i would not go back to chevy or ford-been there on both counts- and I dont think you really want to go back there either. I agree the 2012Hemi is not gas friendly-but its not that far off to change to another brand to save 1mpg . Buy a new Ram-they are more efficient than the 2012. I will keep mine because it is better for the environment to keep vehicles longer than it is to buy a new one every 5yrs. Plus I love my 7yr old Ram!DSC00560.JPG

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
On that note-are there any RAM owners on this site that dont have newer trucks {2015 and under} Is there a site I should be on for owners of RAMS who have owned their trucks for a period past warranties. It seems everyone on here has 2016-2020. Love the new ones, but many issues dont apply to my 2012. Still good to learn for the future. But lets here from 2012 and older?

Aries Rising

Reaction score
Ram Year
199?
Engine
Since the OP-man asked "....What is a good truck today....."

THIS. (I have a 2014 Toyota Tundra (Certified Pre-owned), 8', DoubleCab, 4x4, 5.7 (381HP/401ft.lbs.) and I LOVE it!).

I don't suggest the Tundra just because it's overbuilt for a half ton, and has 75% domestic content, a higher domestic content than ANY other American pickup truck (built in Texas, now). Rather, in addition to my own satisfaction with Tundra's many strengths, there is their documented history of going a MILLION MILES without needing engine work:

Million-mile Toyota Tundra owner given brand new truck
https://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/16/toyota-tundra-million-mile-official/

And since the first truck broke 1 MILLION MILES, a second Tundra has also broken 1 Million Miles (linked below). And neither of those engines were opened during those (two) million miles, but both trucks had tranny problems--in the 700,000-mile range. One was repaired, and one was replaced but could have been repaired, IIRC.

Second Toyota Tundra Pickup Hits a Million Miles, Serviced at Same Dealer as the First
https://www.thedrive.com/news/27730...on-miles-serviced-at-same-dealer-as-the-first

Perhaps, when viewed in this ("big-rig like," million-mile service life) one can appreciate how amusing I find this forum, with all of the (understandable) hand writing about the "Hemi tick," cam followers that fall out and lay on top of the heads, the class action lawsuit involving certain Dodge vehicles re: their TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Modules--Dodge/RAM's CAN BUS system) which have caused engines to just QUIT, in traffic, at speed.)

Here's a few more things the defective TIPM's cause (from the article, below):

Excerpt:
When a TIPM Starts to Fail:
The airbags won’t deploy in a crash but will deploy at random
The starter cranks until it burns out

The HORN goes off at random TIMES
Power windows won’t work or randomly open themselves
The fuel pump doesn’t turn off after you turn the engine off

TIPM Related Power Problems. Funny Sounding Part. Not So Funny Problems.
http://www.dodgeproblems.com/tipm/

mlaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram and it is NOT a Dodge
Engine
3.6 v6 Pentastar Ram truck. Not a Dodge.
I cant believe you just asked that question on a Ram forum.

Eclipse Aries

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Tundra is high on my list as well. Made in San Antonio, Tx. 4.10 axel for doing truck things. When they finally update the motor buying one of the big 3 will most likely be related to some ill concocted notion of what an "American" truck is.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
On that note-are there any RAM owners on this site that dont have newer trucks {2015 and under} Is there a site I should be on for owners of RAMS who have owned their trucks for a period past warranties. It seems everyone on here has 2016-2020. Love the new ones, but many issues dont apply to my 2012. Still good to learn for the future. But lets here from 2012 and older?

Check out the older generation sections on this forum.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I came from 18 years of Ford pickups.

When my truck got totaled earlier this year I went straight for the Ford dealership for a new F-150 Ecoboost. Sat it one and, although it was a nice truck, had no personality inside (the outside looked great). Didn't even drive it.

Went to Toyota and you get a good truck but, since it's a Toyota (and you pay for that name), you don't get as much truck for your money. Also, not a lot of personality inside. It felt more like "pick up the kids from soccer practice and take them to the mall" than "let's go somewhere and get muddy".

I don't like the Styling of the Titan (I'm turned off before I even open the door) and I have never found GM trucks comfortable or attractive (although they are better looking than the Titan)...so all three of those were out (Nissan, Chevrolet, and GM).

Went to RAM and sat in a Classic and the 'all-new'. The Classic is nice but the new '19 had the same personality as my last truck. I sat in it and it felt like it was begging me to drive it somewhere. Sure the 5.7L drinks gas but it is a truck. If I wanted over 20 mpg I'd go looking at an SUV or smaller. Sure the EcoBoost can take me down in a straight line but I didn't buy a truck to race (I'm w-a-y past my 20's). Also, the multi-link rear with coil springs makes up for a lot of things in my book.

Every vehicle will have its issues and I think the new RAM has cut its teeth in production and things have gotten straightened out (especially with re-tooling for a new generation).

Knowing what I know (and have read) over the last 8 months as a RAM owner, I would still have made the same choice I did...RAM truck.

Just my .02

OP
OP
jpHemi3

jpHemi3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought I would just post here and see what everyone is thinking about! It seems we all like our trucks, yes I have looked and pondered the idea of getting another truck, but my truck is paid off and the new ones are so much $$$ too much technology I bet there are more to Insure? Now, All I have to do is sew my Seat or go find one! the 2012 RAM has been good for me and yes I will ***** about the gas but it does well on the highway! I pull my sailboat with it in the summertime and don't even feel it back there it is way overkill but I do like overkill!

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I thought I would just post here and see what everyone is thinking about! It seems we all like our trucks, yes I have looked and pondered the idea of getting another truck, but my truck is paid off and the new ones are so much $$$ too much technology I bet there are more to Insure? Now, All I have to do is sew my Seat or go find one! the 2012 RAM has been good for me and yes I will ***** about the gas but it does well on the highway! I pull my sailboat with it in the summertime and don't even feel it back there it is way overkill but I do like overkill!
If I hadn't been hit I would still have my (paid off) 2003 Ford F-250.

As for insurance premiums it all depends. My 2003 Ford F-250 diesel 4x4 (with two air bags) was almost the same price to insure as my 2019 RAM with all the bells and whistles. I don't know the break down but the insurance company cares if you have blind spot monitoring, automatic braking, GPS tracking (XM Guardian), and a plethora of air bags and safety features. Trucks are not cheap (the safety features help prevent an accident) but people are more expensive (medical bills). In my old truck if I missed something...*BANG*. Now if I miss something the truck tries to avoid the accident.

When I got my new insurance premiums I was surprised to see that they barely changed at all. Now registration fees on the other hand...

Last edited:

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My 2012 kicks ass --no need for a new one for me as nice as they are!!!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ram,1500 Eco Diesel. My son inlaw gets around 28 mpg on the highway. Fords are just butt ugly and I would walk before I drove a Ford. The new chevy's are nice looking but don't care for their interior's

Rae Curb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We had fords early on and had nothing but trouble. Then we switched to chevy and had them from the '90s. I drove a RAM back in 2016 but wasn't ready to switch from Chevy until I saw the '19 new body style. Hubby fussed over and over and tried his best to get me to buy another chevy but I insisted that it was my truck and I would buy what I wanted. So a Rebel 5.7 etorque with air suspension and panoramic sunroof. Took from Aug to Nov to find the one equipped but when I did she came home. Now it is a year and I would not go back to a chevy and never to a ford.

clays laramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Does your 12 have the old 6 speed transmission? If it does that is huge jump in fuel. The new 8speeds are much better.. Ive had 4 rams now since 2010 and they were all nice, but thee new ones are amazing..

rdm1465

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 , non e-torque
Well, I have had 2 Laramie's. (1500 & 2500) Test drove a 2019 Laramie 1500, and a 2019 Silverado High Country. Bought the High Country and wished I had bought the Laramie. There is nothing wrong with the Chevy. But, the Ram IMO seems to have been given better thought to the interior and storage compartments. Chevy should take note as even something as small as a wingnut here can make a lose a sale. The Chevy's don't even come with a tray in the venter console. I did find that they offer it as an accessory for $70+.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

With the amount another truck would cost, you could buy a used Mini Cooper ($15k Or so) for running around and save your truck for towing.