On-Board Air for Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I want to run On-Board air for my 37s that are coming in plus the air bag setup that @olyelr did. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4732

I have a few ideas.
https://www.viaircorp.com/oba/oba-constant
Name brand that a few wagons use.

And one that I had used on my Raptor
https://kleinn.com/product/model-6450rc-100-duty-cycle-air-compressor/

I’m not going cheep and I will mount a 7 gallon tank as well. I will hard wire it in my toolbox under my cover.
If you have done this before and have suggestions I would appreciate it. There is a few threads on this forum that are a little older that I could revive but some/most of those links posted are not available anymore.

Noise can be an issue so mounting suggestions are welcome. I have done this 2 times but couldn’t get my CFM right to support much more then some horns and 33s”. I have a spot on my spod that can support 30amps ready to go.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Viair that I've been using for probably 15 years and it's served me well.

I also have used ARB on a couple of vehicles because usually they're a bargain when you buy them along with lockers. I have not experience failures, but I've seen enough reports to say the Viair would be my number 1 choice.

Personally, I'm going to treat myself this year to a CO2 tank, having watched too many times how fast they are. However that won't stop me carrying the Viair.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
just my .02$, and probably not much help, but anyway..................

I've always been a fan of using a york AC compressor for onboard air setups. That's what I had on my last two jeeps.
Oasis sells what is basically a york compressor that is driven by an electric motor, so that you don't have to mount the compressor under the hood, or mess with brackets and belts.

The oasis setups are a little bit $$$, but 8cfm, and a 100% duty cycle are kind of nice when inflating large tires.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I have a Viair that I've been using for probably 15 years and it's served me well.

I also have used ARB on a couple of vehicles because usually they're a bargain when you buy them along with lockers. I have not experience failures, but I've seen enough reports to say the Viair would be my number 1 choice.

Personally, I'm going to treat myself this year to a CO2 tank, having watched too many times how fast they are. However that won't stop me carrying the Viair.
Thanks. Do you have a preference in model?
Also the CO2 tank is fast but $32 to fill it up after you depleted the tank. I will consider 2 holding tanks as a option for faster inflation

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
just my .02$, and probably not much help, but anyway..................

I've always been a fan of using a york AC compressor for onboard air setups. That's what I had on my last two jeeps.
Oasis sells what is basically a york compressor that is driven by an electric motor, so that you don't have to mount the compressor under the hood, or mess with brackets and belts.

The oasis setups are a little bit $$$, but 8cfm, and a 100% duty cycle are kind of nice when inflating large tires.
Great move to suggest but that is more evolved then I want to get with this plus it would not allow me to add a 2nd alternator if I wanted/needed more power.
I know a few Jeep guys that sacrifice the a/c to do this and loved the setup.

Hammer757

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You said you were not going cheap, so have you thought about the ARB on-board twin high-performance air compressor? Not sure you would really need the air tanks with it.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
You said you were not going cheap, so have you thought about the ARB on-board twin high-performance air compressor? Not sure you would really need the air tanks with it.
I have not. But I will now. Thanks. I have budgeted $450-500 for the setup.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
This. I literally just installed that model in a buddy’s 2 door JK last weekend. Small enough that it fit under the passenger seat, but seemed to move a lot of air. He did not hook up a tank, mainly due to lack of space on a JK, so that model seemed perfect for his application. One member on here did the same compressor and found it fit behind the drivers fender, completely sealed from the elements.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Other than a quick blast of air (maybe for air horns) I am not sure what adding small tanks to the system would be useful for. They will empty down nearing instantly when airing up a tire, and then there you are... relying on the compressors output.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Other than a quick blast of air (maybe for air horns) I am not sure what adding small tanks to the system would be useful for. They will empty down nearing instantly when airing up a tire, and then there you are... relying on the compressors output.
Bingo! Air horns! My boys loved them on my last 2 trucks. So I’m going to mount them on my PW too. One 2.5 gal tank can air up one tire from 20 to 40 psi. So I plan on mounting 2 tanks to help with the load, if I cannot find something I like that at least pushes 3 CFM.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Tanks will flow more air and empty quicker than a compressor, so it basically takes advantage of the “down time” when you’re walking between tires when filling up, allowing you kind of a turbo start when you start filling the tires, before the tank empties and the compressor takes over as the primary source of air. But yeah, they’re not really needed per se when they’re used just for airing up tires, other than it’ll speed the process up a bit.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
like his truck and its his set up but that would never work for me considering how i use my ramboxes

I think I could make it work in there the way I use them. But, since you dont really ever have to get to it, I would rather just hide it up under the truck/hood somewhere. Never see it again.