OPT7 lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How much room is in the back of the headlight from the fan of the bulb to the cover that goes on back of the housing? I don't remember very much room in there when I was replacing a bulb.

The led bulbs don't over heat only venting inside of the light housing? I have the factory projectors
From what I remember, the dust covers on the projector headlights will not fit with the OPT7 bulbs.

The quad headlight setup will fit, but it is tight.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly, projectors they dont fit, quads high and low fit great

I have the projectors and I tried to fit the Opt7 led bulbs in and you're exactly right....not even close to fitting.

Anyway, how bad does the led light scatter in the quads? Just curious.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have the projectors and I tried to fit the Opt7 led bulbs in and you're exactly right....not even close to fitting.

Anyway, how bad does the led light scatter in the quads? Just curious.
Real bad when i tried, had to aim so low that my high beams(still halogens) were same height as lows originally were if not lower

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Let us know how those 2stroke work out! What HIDS come recommended?
The 2strokes work perfect, no error and no flicker, i couldnt test output in the projector as i have 9005 bulbs and my projectors are 9012, and they dont fit in the highs in the projectors either.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, did some searching on the Opt7 lights. Looking to upgrade my lights to something brighter but I will NOT go HID. One of the things I've read though, if you live in the snow belt, stay away from LED as they don't get hot enough to melt freezing snow on the light housing, which leads to frozen, crusty lights that dim the output. Who here has experience with the Opt7 in the snow and can confirm or deny this?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just clear the headlights off. I've never known any bulb to get warm enough to melt snow on the fourth gen housings (in a timely fashion).

They do produce enough heat to require a heat sink and fan if that helps.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So, did some searching on the Opt7 lights. Looking to upgrade my lights to something brighter but I will NOT go HID. One of the things I've read though, if you live in the snow belt, stay away from LED as they don't get hot enough to melt freezing snow on the light housing, which leads to frozen, crusty lights that dim the output. Who here has experience with the Opt7 in the snow and can confirm or deny this?
Up here the halogens dont even melt it most of the time so i wouldnt be worried about it

swine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Installed mine yesterday. Changed both the fogs and the low beams. I'm very happy with the whiter color of the lights. I aimed them down right from the get go so as not to blind anyone. They probably need to come up a little.

The color is near a perfect match to my bumper mounted LED light bars.

Driver's side fog
picture.php

Driver's side headlight
picture.php

Fogs and lows
picture.php

Installation was pretty straight forward. I did install the capacitors on all the lights. No flickering and no error messages. Everything fit under the dustcap with no problem.

In person the OPT7 lights are very white compared to the halogens. In the pictures it doesn't show that very well (maybe because it was still light out).

I haven't taken any output photos yet, since they don't come out that well on my phone.

eljefe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Glad we could help. It seems that the last couple months many folks are either changing out to led/hid or headlights altogether.

I did the led's first and then changed to these

What headlights are those? Do you have a link to where you bought them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I read all 22 pages of this thread. Thanks to those that answered many of the questions I was looking for. I ordered high and low LED's. Flashlights would have probably been better than the halogens I was using.

Just a couple questions. I did see some people stating how long they have been using them. But give me months or years. How frequently do you drive at night? Just trying to get an understanding of how long these may last. Has anyone had to replace a bulb yet? How long?

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I did see a couple people posting they lost their high beams after adding LED low beams. Is it possible your low beams are now drowning out your high beams? I know some of you went real low on your adjustments, so I imagine that's a factor. Just a thought. I can't even tell which lights I have on if my LED bar is on, lol.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So i drive my Ram all the time... I have had 0 problems. My high beams work fine but they are crap compared to the Opt7 Low beams. Order them you'll be happy with the project. I am very picky when I add stuff to my vehicles and this was well worth it.

http://www.ramforum.com/f17/mbrigh3s_ram_1500_4x4_crew_cab-93232/

Thats the link to my ram. You can see the output when I drive as well as what they look like on the vehicle

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So my OPT7 LED's arrived today. Was kind of optimistic after reading this thread. Thinking maybe I shouldn't have.

Before I say anything, I'll say these LED's are crazy bright. It's amazing to see the road, while its raining, in a way I have never before. That's about all I enjoyed about them.

A little history. I have a 2010 RAM Sport. I have done all the work on my truck except the exhaust. This included body lift, leveling, rear spacers, replacing all speakers, adding Kicker Hideaway amp/speaker combo, step bars, bull-bar, and light bar. I only say that so you know what experience I have.

I'll give the good news first, they're in, kind of. The low beams are in anyways. The high beams DO NOT FIT in my quads, CANNOT close the dust-caps. I have the custom black bezel quads. They're spec to OEM. I even pulled down my OEM quads and looked. Same dust caps, same depth, even the same wiring. So I don't know if anyone has successfully installed high beams in these trucks.

After reading other comments, I wanted to ensure my LED's were aligned vertically. Meaning the LED's are on the sides, and the plate they're on is up and down, like they're hanging on a wall. Mine were neither close, nor consistent.

How I changed the angle the LED's lock in. The LED has a white ring with the locking tabs on them. They have two very small screws. The base of the LED has four holes for them. So you can change it too a 90º angle, but mine weren't even horizontal. They were at some odd angles. So I put the LED's in to see the angle and how much I needed to offset. I then marked a spot where I needed holes for the screws to align up with. Then drilled very small holes, in a very thin plastic ring. So now they're mounted correctly.

I did my lights one at a time. So after getting my first install I thought I knew what to expect. Well that was all the same, but then when I plugged the second light in, nothing happened. The first bulb didn't need anything but the ballast. I'm assuming what the square thing with their logo has on it. I didn't need the polarity swap harness or the capacitors. The first one came on perfect and no blinking. The second, no. I had to install a polarity harness. WHY? I have no clue why one needed it and the other didn't.

So, I think the LED's are bright as can be. But they're frustrating. I think mainly because OPT7 seams to have inconsistencies in their product. The position the LED's lock in place might be why they don't sell these for RAM's. But I cannot for the life of me believe my truck's harnesses have opposite polarity to the bulbs. OPT7's wiring of the LED, or maybe ballast, was not wired correctly. There's no reason one LED needed a polarity harness and the other didn't.

I am really happy I can see well at night, and even in the rain now. Just be ready to work. Now I have to figure out how to get my high beams in. After all this though, I'm thinking maybe I could customize my OEM quads.....???? I was afraid before, lol.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Wow that sucks. After all that research and pretty much everyone boasting about them, to have that happen. Hopefully your highs are able to go in.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It was frustrating, more than they should be. But unless you're going to go with HID's, you won't find a better light. If OPT7 did a little bit of research and could ensure the mounting and wiring went smoothly, they'd probably corner the market for LED's. They're so bright, and the color is perfect. Pure white.

I think I can get the highs in. I'll just have to extend the cap by 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Probably use a hard rubber tube, seal one end, and hose clamp the other.

I wouldn't mind so much if winter wasn't setting in. My truck doesn't fit in my garage door, lol.

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was frustrating, more than they should be. But unless you're going to go with HID's, you won't find a better light. If OPT7 did a little bit of research and could ensure the mounting and wiring went smoothly, they'd probably corner the market for LED's. They're so bright, and the color is perfect. Pure white.

I think I can get the highs in. I'll just have to extend the cap by 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Probably use a hard rubber tube, seal one end, and hose clamp the other.

I wouldn't mind so much if winter wasn't setting in. My truck doesn't fit in my garage door, lol.

The retrofit source sells rubber dust caps that are extended in length. I used them on my quads and the size I bought was 80mm I believe but don't quote me on that. I'd have to measure again to be positive. Anyways they fit like a glove on the back side of the quad headlights and then you just put a long zip tie around it. Seals it off perfectly good and tight, gives you plenty of room, and looks almost like it came that way.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The retrofit source sells rubber dust caps that are extended in length. I used them on my quads and the size I bought was 80mm I believe but don't quote me on that. I'd have to measure again to be positive. Anyways they fit like a glove on the back side of the quad headlights and then you just put a long zip tie around it. Seals it off perfectly good and tight, gives you plenty of room, and looks almost like it came that way.

Thank you for the info. Might have to look in to it. Don't think I'd want to use a zip tie though. I like the hose clamp idea in case I need to get in there again.

Do you roughly know how much more height you get from the custom cap?

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the info. Might have to look in to it. Don't think I'd want to use a zip tie though. I like the hose clamp idea in case I need to get in there again.

Do you roughly know how much more height you get from the custom cap?

Hose clamp would work too I'm sure. I just cut the zip tie and put a new one on when I needed to access. But it added at least another 4" maybe 5" tops.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Someone on this forum extended them with black PVC pipe as a cheap DIY fix...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk