Optional Oil Filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I keep seeing pop up occasionally that some are using a different filter than the normal-spec OEM filter. I see reference to SRT filters, etc...

2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab 5.7 HEMI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Read the oil filter thread, and there has been some new developments to top of the list, yes RP/Amsoil EA is tough to be beat, but it looks like the new SRT filter is a synthetic media that doesn't need wire backing, and puro synthetic also top choice. Whatever you choose, I can't stress enough on how good synthetic filters perform. It is a rare technology that allows for better flow, better catching contaminants, AND will last longer then any oil.

Royal Purple
Amsoil EA
Fram Ultra
Purolator Boss Synthetic, best nickname right there
Wix XP
Napa Platinum
SRT filter

OP
OP
Batt4Christ

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Read the oil filter thread, and there has been some new developments to top of the list, yes RP/Amsoil EA is tough to be beat, but it looks like the new SRT filter is a synthetic media that doesn't need wire backing, and puro synthetic also top choice. Whatever you choose, I can't stress enough on how good synthetic filters perform. It is a rare technology that allows for better flow, better catching contaminants, AND will last longer then any oil.

Royal Purple
Amsoil EA
Fram Ultra
Purolator Boss Synthetic, best nickname right there
Wix XP
Napa Platinum
SRT filter

Is there a part #?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just realized I put the 10-48 on my truck. That is the same size as OEM correct? Is there really any need for the bigger one?

Yes same size, no real need for larger one. It filters better/more and you can put more oil in which are benefits, but if you want to use the small one go for it, rp is way better then most options. If you ever get hemi tick one proven spot is oil filter, if you have the small one on it gives you the ability to mess with the filter to see if changing can kill hemi tick, if you don't have hemi tick then no real other benefit. If I put a 10-48 on my truck I would definitely leave it on there.

Troutman561

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes same size, no real need for larger one. It filters better/more and you can put more oil in which are benefits, but if you want to use the small one go for it, rp is way better then most options. If you ever get hemi tick one proven spot is oil filter, if you have the small one on it gives you the ability to mess with the filter to see if changing can kill hemi tick, if you don't have hemi tick then no real other benefit. If I put a 10-48 on my truck I would definitely leave it on there.
Thank you for the reply. No tick in my truck but I have been doing my own oil changes. I put PUP 5w-30 in my 2017 and for my first change in this 2019 but will be going to Red Line 5w-30 this next oil change. I have used the RP 10-48 on both, but wanted to make sure I was not missing something by not going larger.

Bowzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sold off the '18...maybe another soon.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know all the part numbers, the RP large one is 20-820 the small one is 10-48, either will fit.

Amazon is out of the 10-48 but I planned to move to the bigger one anyway with this next oil change.

Noticed on Amazon it doesn't list the 20-820 as a legit fit for my 2018. (Not that they're the great reference for parts that fit.)

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I keep seeing pop up occasionally that some are using a different filter than the normal-spec OEM filter. I see reference to SRT filters, etc...

2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab 5.7 HEMI

The SRT oil filter you're referring to is an MO-041 (the official part number is 5038041AA)...the filter itself is White with SRT stamped on the side of it.

Amazon.com: Genuine Mopar 5038041AA Oil Filter: Automotive

OP
OP
Batt4Christ

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
He asked about the filter...I provided the part number but not applicability. Someone else will have to clarify it if will work on a 5th Gen.

And yes, I have one on order and will provide feedback after my next oil change but that won’t be until March.

Last edited:

gzig5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just did my first oil change. I must say I was surprised at how small the filter is. I used a NAPA Gold, which should be made by Wix. I think I'd feel better with a bigger filter, even though I'm sure the engine has been tested sufficiently with the OE one. Is there a longer version that fits?
Maybe need to look for a relocation kit. That was the other thing that surprised me. The position of the filter and the amount of oil left in the block in that area create a big friggin mess. I guess I won't have to worry about my skid plate rusting with all the oil dripping of the steering and suspension gear above it. That could have been thought out better. I'll also be making a drip tray to keep the oil out of the pan from bathing the anti-roll bar.

msedly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just did my first oil change. I must say I was surprised at how small the filter is. I used a NAPA Gold, which should be made by Wix. I think I'd feel better with a bigger filter, even though I'm sure the engine has been tested sufficiently with the OE one. Is there a longer version that fits?
Maybe need to look for a relocation kit. That was the other thing that surprised me. The position of the filter and the amount of oil left in the block in that area create a big friggin mess. I guess I won't have to worry about my skid plate rusting with all the oil dripping of the steering and suspension gear above it. That could have been thought out better. I'll also be making a drip tray to keep the oil out of the pan from bathing the anti-roll bar.

I went from a 2012 1500 w/ hydraulic power steering to a 2019 1500 w/ electronic rack. The old style rack could accommodate the larger filter, but I believe you have the use the smaller filter with the electrically assisted rack.

It's so much more difficult to change the filter on the new truck without making a mess. Would be nice to have a relocation kit, but I don't know that it's worth it. Seems like I remember some people having issues with the fittings leaking. I'm sure there is another thread on here about relocation kits. Might be time to do some research...