P0301 cylinder 1 misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That could work with an indicator somewhere on the assembly to check the lift or drop i should say. Even with engine off that cyl should read different. Now the mds thing you brought up **** i dont know either. Maybe someone with more knowledge off the valve assembly will know this. I would think with motor off the mds would not be in play but not sure.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If the mds is engaged, it may appear the lifter is lifting normal, but it would be the mds. I'm thinking mds wouldn't be engaged when the engine is off, but I don't know for sure. I think the only chance it would be open is somehow turned the truck off when it is engaged, and I doubt that would happen.

btw, didnt think you were arguing.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That is an assume video thanks for sharing. It solves the problem here. This **** is to complacated these days

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I’ll check back in guys! Once I take the truck in...

My old stomping grounds down there, Camarillo, thousand oaks and SB. That Dodge dealer is notorious, I might look at small shops. To be honest I haven't seen a good dodge dealer yet. We have one around here with a good rep, but too far for me. If you are gonna spend the money to get a new cam/lifters, you should be treated right.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You must like it hot, what did that short trip gain you 10f? I went the opposite way, moved back to nor cal so now I'm -10f. Can't say I miss the heat although Camarillo is pretty modest, but I miss having all kinds of fun stuff to do when you live next to a beach. I lived in SB on the beach for 3 years. good ol days for sure...

DouglasReisinger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the same on my 04 Hemi. Mine started with P0302, Changed all plugs and coils. Same thing. It wouldn't even idle without stalling most times. Turned out to be a bad lifter spring. Have you checked compression on that cylinder?

Dantra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I may have missed it.. How many miles? Chain tensioners can cause some wacky stuff. I'v also known some 5.7s to chip away at their thin ring glands but they had been run pretty hard and often times had a little extra juice added to them (NOS) Compression and leakdown test might find your problem.. But a stuck lifter and worn cam seems to be common in 2010 and 2011 for some reason.

https://www.ramforumz.com/threads/2011-ram-hemi-cam-lifter-failure.188978/

Just had another thought.. Won't the Alfaobd let you view graphs of the igintion while running?? It could reveal something much more simple.

Last edited:

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
Sheeeit!!! I long for the days when a tune up involved a spark plug change, air filter, new condenser and points. We have some old vehicles …1979 Chevy van, 1976 one ton pickup, 1976 Chevy Blazer and they all run great. My 08 2500 is parked all summer and fall now with 305,000 km and no serious problems yet and I run it around winter and spring when the van is parked. Met a guy with a old Pontiac and he told me he was happy to get back to the days of cheap tune ups, no computer sheeit, no off shore manufacturing of vital components for autos and a driving experience that neither bankrupted you purchasing or maintaining a vehicle. The guy was smart. Van was my father's and mother and brother just gave it to me. Mechanics were shocked at the absence of rust and it sailed through the safety without breaking my wallet. He oiled it all the time twice a year and never drove it in the winter. I require the 2500 08 for winter driving as a work truck and to haul a truck camper to and up the Colorado Rockies but it will be reduced in mileage about twenty grand a year and maybe more. Van is driven from early spring when salt is not needed on roads to late fall until first snow. I see more and more guys with brains doing this. I learned from observation and am doing the same thing. BTW, insurance on the van is three hundred and change for basic with the best insurer ever, Wawanesa. Do not have to break the bank for insurance either on older vehicles. It is in process of being restored aka new paint, rear springs and shocks, replacement on the 305 with a 4 barrel which will increase mileage from the current 18.6 mpg and rear locker. (I use it for getaways to forestry access roads 90 minutes from here and take my TE300i in it and use it as a base to explore the many miles of trails that can take me to cities like Renfrew, Arnprior, Calabogie, Ottawa, Pembroke etc but I stay mainly in the solitude of the backwoods areas with pristine lakes and rivers, NO NOISE, and few people. It is a short wheelbase model outfitted to camp in.

I have my eye on an old Dodge half ton early eighties vintage and am seriously considering and restoring and I do not mean me, I mean professional body work people and mechanics, one who lives right next door to me with his own shop and we swap services.

For sure modern/new is not always true and the old vehicles were made simple and stronger with better materials. I am not telling anything you old timers here do not already know.

Used to be able to buy any brand of the Big 3 and drive the wheels off it with NO SERIOUS PROBLEMS the life of the vehicle. Today we see the blaring of high tech but with a serious price tag attached and damned CYSTem taxes that are criminal in scope imposed by cadleswerps who have the IQ of a dry sponge.

Gerald Sheppard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had a similar problem with my 08 5.7 1500 Big Horn, squirrel had chewed the injector wire off, Repaired it and cleared the code, all was well. The next day the same issue came up. This time the rodent had chewed both wires off to same injector! Got a new pigtail and fixed it again, then applied pepper spray to exposed wires. No problem so far.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Swap the coil pack with another cylinder.....

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Had a similar problem with my 08 5.7 1500 Big Horn, squirrel had chewed the injector wire off, Repaired it and cleared the code, all was well. The next day the same issue came up. This time the rodent had chewed both wires off to same injector! Got a new pigtail and fixed it again, then applied pepper spray to exposed wires. No problem so far.

Had something similar with my wife’s ‘18 JGC, a rodent of some sorts chewed thru the RF power wife for the ignition switch.

Dantra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No squirrel would be safe after that!

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Buddy had the same thing on his chevy truck. Ate the wires flush to the fire wall. At least it was a chevy

OP
OP
Miguel smith

Miguel smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just for an update I took my truck to the shop on Sunday. Monday night the mechanic was telling me it’s not the coil,spark plug,injectors. It has Low compression. He Immediately said he wanted to check the cam...and I called today for an update... and I guess he don’t work Tuesday,Wednesday... so he’s barly ripping it down...Thursday... wish I would of know He had the days off...I would of taken it somewhere else...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just for an update I took my truck to the shop on Sunday. Monday night the mechanic was telling me it’s not the coil,spark plug,injectors. It has Low compression. He Immediately said he wanted to check the cam...and I called today for an update... and I guess he don’t work Tuesday,Wednesday... so he’s barly ripping it down...Thursday... wish I would of know He had the days off...I would of taken it somewhere else...

If it's the cam and like I said that probably is it, take a pic of the shaved down lobe if you can. Ask for the old cam and lifters. See if it is the needle bearing in the roller that made the part fail flattened roller on lifter. sorry to hear it, did he give you an estimate?

Save the old parts for a while, I still think there is a chance of a class action against fca for this at some point.