P0301 cylinder 1 misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok. Then it might be a good idea to pull the valve cover and check for broken parts. If you don’t see any, then start the engine and see if the rocker arm is going up and down as much as the rest of them.

OP
OP
Miguel smith

Miguel smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use ngk spark plugs and 1a auto coil pack came with 8 of them. And I use Castrol full synthetic high mileage 10-30. Also I have a cold air in take and long tube headers and the truck is not tuned but like I said it’s only been the past two days it’s happening

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If the spark plug wasn’t firing, the tip of the spark plug would be whiter than normal because of the detergent that is in gas these days. You telling me that the spark plug tip didn’t seem white, tells me that the spark plug is probably firing enough to burn enough fuel to keep that from happening. And, you telling me that you smelled gas when you pulled the spark plug tells me that the fuel injector is letting fuel into the cylinder. Which generally leaves a mechanical failure. I could be wrong, but that would be my next step.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
By saying “the tip of the spark plug”, I mean the end that goes down in the cylinder that has the little finger that you gapped before you installed it. Just so we are both on the same page.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Most of these are lifters and cam lob, known issue and the same thing code and shaking under idle.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Lifters and Cam time, see syn thread on some oil choices that seam to benefit hemi's. Mainly high moly oils but perhaps moly plus ester based oils. Maybe you can prevent this in the future. It is an expensive job, but it is doable if you have patience and a long weekend. Here's a great dyi thread.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
How can it be lifters and cam if the motor has no ticking or sounds like he says. Not to say its not but there should be some ticking going on. Op if you have an extended warranty like you stated put the truck back together and get it to the dealer for the fix. deal done. Make sure you post back what it was. We go crazy here not knowing.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
misfire code and shaking under idle and he verified it wasn't coil or plugs. I'd do it sooner then later less you will be introducing metal to the situation. You can verify it isn't valves and do a leak down test, but this is a known issue.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I do somewhat agree but how do we know the truck is telling cyl 1 to fire or open injector. These are all easy test with a volt meter and a spark tester.I would get a inline spark tester(very cheap and everyone should have one) a compression test would also help. Then make sure my injector is firing before i ripped a motor apart. Or i would leave all that **** in my tool box because i have a warranty. He stated he has one.not thats its not a cam lifter problem but some testing has to be done first. Swapping a coil dosen't tell us the truck is commanding the coil to fire.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I guess im hanging on the no weird noise thing. We know what a bad cam lifter combo sounds like. And he stated no noises. I hope he post back with his findings.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ticking only happens in some cam lob wipe outs, a serious number never tick. If he waits, we will soon find out because if it is a cam lob the death nail commeth soon.

copy and paste from itstill runs..

Cylinder Miss
A flattened cam lobe will often manifest first at low rpm, especially for engines with hydraulic lifters. At idle and low rpm, the valve is barely open even when the cam is brand new; when the lobe flattens out, the valve may not open at all until the lifter pumps up at higher rpm. So a miss from a single, slightly flattened cam lobe will often start to go away as engine rpm rises and the lifter pumps up, but will probably reappear at very high rpm as the cylinder begins to once again starve for airflow. Engines with solid lifters may or may not experience low-rpm or idle problems.

Lifter Tapping
Lifter tap is a very common symptom of flattened cam lobes, and is often the very first and most noticeable one. However, it's possible for an engine to have one or more completely wiped lobes with no lifter tap at all; it depends on the design. Again, the tapping may be worse at idle and low rpm, and quiet down when the lifters pump up with oil.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How to diagnose for sure, I'm not sure with mds, I haven't had to do it. Take valve cover off and spin the engine? Since you know the cylinder just see how the lifter is lifting compared to others. Should be easy right in the front there. Dunno, just a thought.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Burla im not arguing the fact of a bad cam or lifter. I've had many a car with a cyl misfire. Not once in my life have i had a lifter wipe out a cam. Just saying there is a process to go through before an engine is taken apart. These truck click clack and tick enough when they run good. Everyone thinks they have hemi tick.